The old smoke dragon is finally installed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottF

Aug 7, 2008
Southern NH
Well after 6 months of working every single night until late and every weekend day the addtion is finally done and the smoke dragon is installed. Just a few more connections until I can fire her up and let her belch. I had to put an addtion on the house. I went as far as putting steel beams in the 1st floor with an 8 inch concrete slab over the basement full of steel rebar with brick over that. All the back walls are layers of 4 inch block with air spaces between each layer so completely non combustible. I did every bit of work myself including , sitework, basement foundation and floor, masonry, framing, roofing, siding and trim, interior trim, drywall, painting, finish work, hardwood floorring, stove work, masonry chimney etc. After many thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours I am complete. Here is the finish photos of the old dragon. I even built all the furniture for the new room but thats another story. No secondary burn tubes and no catalitic action. She was built in the 1890s. we just restored her. I dont expect modern stove performance but I do expect lots of heat. I have plenty of wood Whew!!

Attachments

• stove1.gif
    stove1.gif
    126.4 KB · Views: 2,279
  • stove2.gif
    stove2.gif
    157.3 KB · Views: 2,319
That is sexy as hell right there. The stove, the arch, the hearth- wow!

You might look into one a dems in-pipe catalysts that might help with creosote and smoke

Thanks, I did look into the in pipe catalyst but we dont have the room for one. The distance between the connection on the back of the stove and the the opening in the brick at the thimble is only 3 inches. And I have to fit a manual damper in that area. My wife was adamant that she did not want any stove pipe showing. She does not like the look of stove pipe for some reason. Therefore I designed it to go right out of the back of the stove and into the wall asap. I have very dry wood and will burn it hot and control temps with the amount of wood to keep creosote down. I also have an easy set up to clean the chimney from the basement so I will clean it often.

I dont have a blog with progress or any more photos. I just dont have the time as I run a business and work every other minute available. Sorry

Is that mantle stone, wood, er; non-combustible?
Well...what’s the mantle made of? (C’mon Granpa...spit it out:))

Soapstone. Cut it and installed it myself. We wanted wood but I would never put wood that close. It will get way too hot. It overhangs about 5 inches

It's breathtaking. I'm certain there can be no other installation quite like it in the world. That old stove looks like if you were to push just the right buttons on a remote, it would walk out of there, greet you, and serve you dinner. I love it. Rick

WOW....now THAT is a real real nice lookin' setup. Great job!.

[quote author="ScottF" date="1223669770... We wanted wood but I would never put wood that close. [/quote]

Yeah, that's what I was gettin' at.
The soapstone is an ingenius idea.
I sometimes worry a little about non-combustible mantles. Folks have a tendency to place combustible items atop them. In my case, a birthday card blew down (thanks to the ceiling fan) and fluttered down, landing right on the stovetop, as I watched it. (No exageration.) Needless to say, I corrected that problem right away.

Wow Scott, that's a veritable temple of fire. You did a great job! It looks beautiful.

Now how's she burning?! ;-P

Bravo! That is a truly impressive and beautiful room. You are a skilled craftsman. The stove is lovely, but the entire room is impressive. Thank you for sharing the photos. I know that you and your family will enjoy the room and stove this winter and for years to come.

Beauty. I had a stove just like that in college in a log cabin we rented. IT WILL put out the heat when she is up and running!!!!!! Congrats, nice job.

That is beautiful Scott and you can be very proud.

Adios Pantalones said:
That is sexy as hell right there. The stove, the arch, the hearth- wow!

You might look into one a dems in-pipe catalysts that might help with creosote and smoke.
Wow and sexy is right on!

Holy moley, that's beautiful. You have every right to be proud. Jeeeeez.

Thanks for all the positive comments. Its not completely hooked up until tonight . I have to make a custom connector. Was wondering if I should do break in fires? It has been burnt before many many years ago. It was all sealed so that may need to cure and the paint may or may not need to be cured. Any opinions. Scott

Cast iron likes to be broken in. Start off with a small kindling fire to check draft and operation. Then build up each successive fire with a little more wood. If you have a thermometer on the stove that will help guide you. I'd break it in over say 4 fires raising the temp from 250 to 450 in 50 degree increments. And open a window, it's likely to smoke a bit for the breakin fires.

PS: Your furniture work looks impressive too.

That is truly amazing work. Simply stunning. The fact that you did everything yourself is quite amazing. Congratulations.

Because the stove was resored, ie new seals and repainted, I would think you would want to have a few break in fires. It certainly won't hurt anything.

I am in awe....like the prior poster indicated, you should create your own blog on the whole process.
Its almost too beautiful to burn it....well, almost ;)

BeGreen said:
Cast iron likes to be broken in. Start off with a small kindling fire to check draft and operation. Then build up each successive fire with a little more wood. If you have a thermometer on the stove that will help guide you. I'd break it in over say 4 fires raising the temp from 250 to 450 in 50 degree increments. And open a window, it's likely to smoke a bit for the breakin fires.

that looks amazing. I only wish it was mine.

but if i may hijack for a moment, Begreen, this will be my 2nd year burning. should i be doing break in fires still? like is that an 'every year to start the season' thing for cast iron?

Fire IT UP!

moondoggy said:
BeGreen said:

that looks amazing. I only wish it was mine.

but if i may hijack for a moment, Begreen, this will be my 2nd year burning. should i be doing break in fires still? like is that an 'every year to start the season' thing for cast iron?

Yes, it's recommended for cast and soapstone stoves to do break in fires at the beginning of the season.

Wow it's perfect there...is that the same stove you showed us a couple months back? Super job on the restore Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.