1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

The old smoke dragon is finally installed.

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by ScottF, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScottF

ScottF New Member

Loc:
    Southern NH
    Well after 6 months of working every single night until late and every weekend day the addtion is finally done and the smoke dragon is installed. Just a few more connections until I can fire her up and let her belch. I had to put an addtion on the house. I went as far as putting steel beams in the 1st floor with an 8 inch concrete slab over the basement full of steel rebar with brick over that. All the back walls are layers of 4 inch block with air spaces between each layer so completely non combustible. I did every bit of work myself including , sitework, basement foundation and floor, masonry, framing, roofing, siding and trim, interior trim, drywall, painting, finish work, hardwood floorring, stove work, masonry chimney etc. After many thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours I am complete. Here is the finish photos of the old dragon. I even built all the furniture for the new room but thats another story. No secondary burn tubes and no catalitic action. She was built in the 1890s. we just restored her. I dont expect modern stove performance but I do expect lots of heat. I have plenty of wood Whew!!

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    That is sexy as hell right there. The stove, the arch, the hearth- wow!

You might look into one a dems in-pipe catalysts that might help with creosote and smoke.
  3. jrousell

jrousell New Member

Loc:
    Adirondack Mtns. NY
    wow

how about even more pics? :) -- do you have a blog where you chronicle the progress?
  4. ScottF

ScottF New Member

Loc:
    Southern NH
    Thanks, I did look into the in pipe catalyst but we dont have the room for one. The distance between the connection on the back of the stove and the the opening in the brick at the thimble is only 3 inches. And I have to fit a manual damper in that area. My wife was adamant that she did not want any stove pipe showing. She does not like the look of stove pipe for some reason. Therefore I designed it to go right out of the back of the stove and into the wall asap. I have very dry wood and will burn it hot and control temps with the amount of wood to keep creosote down. I also have an easy set up to clean the chimney from the basement so I will clean it often.

I dont have a blog with progress or any more photos. I just dont have the time as I run a business and work every other minute available. Sorry
  5. granpajohn

granpajohn Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maryland
    Is that mantle stone, wood, er; non-combustible?
    Well...what's the mantle made of? (C'mon Granpa...spit it out:))
  6. ScottF

ScottF New Member

Loc:
    Southern NH

Soapstone. Cut it and installed it myself. We wanted wood but I would never put wood that close. It will get way too hot. It overhangs about 5 inches
  7. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    It's breathtaking. I'm certain there can be no other installation quite like it in the world. That old stove looks like if you were to push just the right buttons on a remote, it would walk out of there, greet you, and serve you dinner. I love it. Rick
  8. woodconvert

woodconvert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Fenton Michigan
    WOW....now THAT is a real real nice lookin' setup. Great job!.
  9. granpajohn

granpajohn Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maryland
    [quote author="ScottF" date="1223669770... We wanted wood but I would never put wood that close. [/quote]

Yeah, that's what I was gettin' at.
    The soapstone is an ingenius idea.
    I sometimes worry a little about non-combustible mantles. Folks have a tendency to place combustible items atop them. In my case, a birthday card blew down (thanks to the ceiling fan) and fluttered down, landing right on the stovetop, as I watched it. (No exageration.) Needless to say, I corrected that problem right away.
  10. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Wow Scott, that's a veritable temple of fire. You did a great job! It looks beautiful.

Now how's she burning?! ;-P
  11. InTheRockies

InTheRockies New Member

Loc:
    Northern US Rockies
    Bravo! That is a truly impressive and beautiful room. You are a skilled craftsman. The stove is lovely, but the entire room is impressive. Thank you for sharing the photos. I know that you and your family will enjoy the room and stove this winter and for years to come.
  12. warm in VT

warm in VT New Member

Loc:
    Northern Vt
    Beauty. I had a stove just like that in college in a log cabin we rented. IT WILL put out the heat when she is up and running!!!!!! Congrats, nice job.
  13. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    That is beautiful Scott and you can be very proud.
  14. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Wow and sexy is right on!
  15. jbroich

jbroich New Member

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Holy moley, that's beautiful. You have every right to be proud. Jeeeeez.
  16. ScottF

ScottF New Member

Loc:
    Southern NH
    Thanks for all the positive comments. Its not completely hooked up until tonight . I have to make a custom connector. Was wondering if I should do break in fires? It has been burnt before many many years ago. It was all sealed so that may need to cure and the paint may or may not need to be cured. Any opinions. Scott
  17. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Cast iron likes to be broken in. Start off with a small kindling fire to check draft and operation. Then build up each successive fire with a little more wood. If you have a thermometer on the stove that will help guide you. I'd break it in over say 4 fires raising the temp from 250 to 450 in 50 degree increments. And open a window, it's likely to smoke a bit for the breakin fires.

PS: Your furniture work looks impressive too.
  18. the_dude

the_dude Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southern WI
    That is truly amazing work. Simply stunning. The fact that you did everything yourself is quite amazing. Congratulations.

Because the stove was resored, ie new seals and repainted, I would think you would want to have a few break in fires. It certainly won't hurt anything.
  19. daveswoodhauler

daveswoodhauler Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    I am in awe....like the prior poster indicated, you should create your own blog on the whole process.
    Its almost too beautiful to burn it....well, almost ;)
  20. moondoggy

moondoggy New Member

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    that looks amazing. I only wish it was mine.

but if i may hijack for a moment, Begreen, this will be my 2nd year burning. should i be doing break in fires still? like is that an 'every year to start the season' thing for cast iron?
  21. cmonSTART

cmonSTART Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Antrim, NH
    Looks fantastic!
  22. wannago

wannago Member

Loc:
    Midland, North Carolina
    Great job. Wish I could muster up the will power to try a project like that. Sweet....
  23. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Fire IT UP!
  24. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yes, it's recommended for cast and soapstone stoves to do break in fires at the beginning of the season.
  25. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    Wow it's perfect there...is that the same stove you showed us a couple months back? Super job on the restore Scott.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.