The on going saga of why is this stove having problems. Pic attached

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinsmanstoves

Minister of Fire
This is a customer that claimed her stove was shutting off and later claimed the stove was "Overheating". Do you see a problem?

Attachments

• Big E blower.jpg
    Big E blower.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,092
kinsman stoves said:
This is a customer that claimed her stove was shutting off and later claimed the stove was "Overheating". Do you see a problem?

Which brings me to the question.........

Why don't the stove mfg's place a small removable filter (cleanable & reusable would even be better) over the air intake of the convection blower ??

Every forced air furnace has one.

Heck, even my walmart cheap china made dehumidifier has one too !

I guess we'll have to make our own out of a green scotchbrite pad...............

If you squint and turn your head sideways it sorta looks like an afterburner.

I just cleaned my convection blower after about 3/4 of a ton. It looked nowhere near as bad as that.

And I have 2 long haired dogs. A golden and a cocker.

Hope she saw an increase in efficiency after the service call :)

---Nailer---

Sir, thanks for apply for the job. Sorry to say you are over qualified. Have a good day.

Eric

Arnold said:
kinsman stoves said:

Why don't the stove mfg's place a small removable filter (cleanable & reusable would even be better) over the air intake of the convection blower ??

I guess we'll have to make our own out of a green scotchbrite pad...............

Or they could make these easier to get to and take out. Atleast with my stove you have to have rubber arms to get to the bolts..

Arnold said:
kinsman stoves said:

So, from how I am reading this, even though its an obvious case of lack of maintenance, its STILL the stove co's fault, right? As for furnaces, they move ALOT more air than these distribution fans do, and have a much larger intake.....I submit though, that even if a filter system were in place, the folter would still go uncleaned and unchanged........as for the furnace argument.....they rarely get changed as well when its up to the homeowner

chrisasst said:
Or they could make these easier to get to and take out. Atleast with my stove you have to have rubber arms to get to the bolts..

Easier to clean yes, however to clean it you shouldn't have to take it out. We won't discuss the Neanderthals that design these things.

Lousyweather,

No it isn't the builders fault the blower wasn't cleaned.

Just don't attempt that argument in a court, they'll likely tell you that the builder did contribute to any resulting damage by making it likely for the user to not clean the blower due to accessibility issues. Remember, the excuse of the day is that they have issues.

Lousyweather said:
So, from how I am reading this, even though its an obvious case of lack of maintenance, its STILL the stove Co's fault, right? As for furnaces, they move ALOT more air than these distribution fans do, and have a much larger intake.....I submit though, that even if a filter system were in place, the folter would still go uncleaned and unchanged........as for the furnace argument.....they rarely get changed as well when its up to the homeowner

Isn't the pellet stove taking the place of at least part of the forced air furnaces job ?

Why is it too much to ask the manufacturers to put a small screen over the intake ?

If the stoves operators manual included a section showing the owner how to clean & service the filter, that's all it would take.

Take a cue from the clothes drier manufacturers & have a quick & easy removable screen that fits in an external slot........just pull it out & clean it when you add pellets.........it might add $50 to the cost of a $3K stove, & the blower wouldn't end up looking like the one in the picture.

simply clean the stove......even if the screen is there, there will be some moron who wont clean it and blame everyone else for his lack of understanding, or lack of ambition.......some people should just have a dial on the wall with a setting (electric heat)......because they lack the ambition or intelligence to understand anything else. Flame on.

Fur balls in the fan will shut down anything!

Put the cat outside.

chrisasst said:

Agree that it's not the manufacturers fault. I also agree that manufacturer (Englander in my case) could make it easier to access the convection blower. Also I have had problems reinstalling the sheet metal screws. I've been thinking of cutting an access "door" in the side to get at the convection blower. It is very hard to reach and I have long arms. There is a side panel for the combustion blower from factory, why not one for the other blower? Not complaining, just commenting. Really like the stove, burning in 5th season. Hard to beat for the price.

SmokeyTheBear said:
chrisasst said:

Easier to clean yes, however to clean it you shouldn't have to take it out. We won't discuss the Neanderthals that design these things.

Lousyweather,

Just don't attempt that argument in a court, they'll likely tell you that the builder did contribute to any resulting damage by making it likely for the user to not clean the blower due to accessibility issues. Remember, the excuse of the day is that they have issues.

Please show me ( tell me ) an easy way to clean my fan with out taking it out. I should try to take a picture of mine to show you. I have to try and reach from the opposite panel to really get to it. Last time I took my shop vac, used it as a blower, stuck a long tube in the end of it and tried to blow the dust off.

chrisasst said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
chrisasst said:

Lousyweather,

Please show me ( tell me ) an easy way to clean my fan with out taking it out. I should try to take a picture of mine to show you. I have to try and reach from the opposite panel to really get to it. Last time I took my shop vac, used it as a blower, stuck a long tube in the end of it and tried to blow the dust off.

I didn't say you didn't have to take your fan out to clean it Chris, I was agreeing with you that they (stove builder) should make it easier to clean and that you shouldn't have to take it out to clean it (if the builder knew what they we doing).

There is no requirement to have to remove such a part in order to remove the dust and crud when cleaning. A mount that exposed the squirrel cage instead of hiding it would solve that problem. Mine is now at an angle but still is squirrel cage down, before I installed an adapter it was completely squirrel cage down.

Ok, here goes, I must confess. I took my stove apart and my intentions were good. I first took the vent pipe apart and vacuumed it really good, but couldn't get the Tcap off and had to buy a new one $59 ish, then took off the combustion blower (rubber arms is not even close to the issue of getting the bolts out) I practically had to stand on my head, turn each bolt a quarter of a turn because there is no room to get a full turn in. (Maybe I didn't have long enough tools, but cut me some slack I'm a woman). Once I got the combustion blower off, I vacuumed it really good but accidentally waived the hose past the gasket and sucked it up in the vacuum. :gulp: Went to the website to now buy another gasket $25 ish bucks w/shipping to replace it!!! (but I'm warm tonight and not complaining mind you) Got that back together with the new gasket (took 1 hour at least and one good back ache afterwards). The last thing I could think of was taking off the room blower to find myself in the same situation. Will absolutely do it next year (2 dogs by the way, one is a big shedder) My bad???

Arnold said:
kinsman stoves said:

Arnold, you'd end up with a green liner. If that fan is in the exhaust stream, only a metal filter would work, and you'd be changing it every eight hours. If it's in the circulation side, it's the cat the dog and the three gerbils.

My favorite is the one where it's so blocked you can't even tell what the picture is.

I'll bet this sweet thing also said she never lets her stove smoke.

sydney1963 said:
Ok, here goes, I must confess. I took my stove apart and my intentions were good. I first took the vent pipe apart and vacuumed it really good, but couldn't get the Tcap off and had to buy a new one $59 ish, then took off the combustion blower (rubber arms is not even close to the issue of getting the bolts out) I practically had to stand on my head, turn each bolt a quarter of a turn because there is no room to get a full turn in. (Maybe I didn't have long enough tools, but cut me some slack I'm a woman). Once I got the combustion blower off, I vacuumed it really good but accidentally waived the hose past the gasket and sucked it up in the vacuum. :gulp: Went to the website to now buy another gasket $25 ish bucks w/shipping to replace it!!! (but I'm warm tonight and not complaining mind you) Got that back together with the new gasket (took 1 hour at least and one good back ache afterwards). The last thing I could think of was taking off the room blower to find myself in the same situation. Will absolutely do it next year (2 dogs by the way, one is a big shedder) My bad???

You bad sydney, very, very bad.

Panhandler said:
.....that manufacturer (Englander in my case) could make it easier to access the convection blower. Also I have had problems reinstalling the sheet metal screws. I've been thinking of cutting an access "door" in the side to get at the convection blower. It is very hard to reach and I have long arms. There is a side panel for the combustion blower from factory, why not one for the other blower?.......

Must have been complaints from others to Englander about no access to the convection blowers, as my 10-cpm has access doors on both sides of the stove.....very easy to get to blowers.

sydney1963 said:
Will absolutely do it next year (2 dogs by the way, one is a big shedder) My bad???

My advice. Don't put it off, especially with dogs in the house that shed.
I learned the hard way. Had to spring for a new room air blower so
still had to remove/replace it but also had to drop the dough on the
new blower...and I don't have dogs that shed.

Xena said:
sydney1963 said:
Will absolutely do it next year (2 dogs by the way, one is a big shedder) My bad???

My advice. Don't put it off, especially with dogs in the house that shed.
I learned the hard way. Had to spring for a new room air blower so
still had to remove/replace it but also had to drop the dough on the
new blower...and I don't have dogs that shed.

I agree....do it before it really needs to be done

SmokeyTheBear said:
sydney1963 said:

She sucked her gasket, OH the HORROR of it all.

Syd, we should give you extra green boxes, you have done something many here are intimidated to try.

For those will tough reaches to your intake fans (room circulators) stop being cheap, buy a quality vac. I have gone the further step to get an ash vac. make a step down/step up adapter get some ribbed tubing (that will bend and stay - wire reinforced) and make yourself a small vacuum probe. If you do this on a regular basis, you won't have a problem build up.

For those in the throws of the craze, do not, repeat do not try this using a leaf blower.

I like being bad! Hairy shedder to the left (picture), by the way.

littlesmokey said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
sydney1963 said:

Syd, we should give you extra green boxes, you have done something many here are intimidated to try.

For those will tough reaches to your intake fans (room circulators) stop being cheap, buy a quality vac. I have gone the further step to get an ash vac. make a step down/step up adapter get some ribbed tubing (that will bend and stay - wire reinforced) and make yourself a small vacuum probe. If you do this on a regular basis, you won't have a problem build up.

For those in the throws of the craze, do not, repeat do not try this using a leaf blower.

Taking the room blower off consists of 5-6 bolts to be removed (which is no small task mind you) vacuuming the fins and insides of the blower and putting it back together (which is like working inside a crackerbox) Not a simple buy a nice vacuum and your set. I have a cheap Wally world vacuum w/dry wall bags that works nicely, not being cheap here. TY

sydney1963 said:
littlesmokey said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
sydney1963 said:

Taking the room blower off consists of 5-6 bolts to be removed (which is no small task mind you) vacuuming the fins and insides of the blower and putting it back together (which is like working inside a crackerbox) Not a simple buy a nice vacuum and your set. I have a cheap Wally world vacuum w/dry wall bags that works nicely, not being cheap here. TY

Well, if you look at the picture as I did, what I see is a "mounted" squirrel cage.Exposed vanes and if the camera can get there a vac can. Sorry yours is not as accessible, but I am responding to Kinsman. For over twelve years I have used an extra efficient vac to clean my stoves and a whole lot more. I thought I said you didn't have to go ape, just a good vac. I, that's me, personally went one step further and bought an ash vac. Doing a bunch of stoves each year, it's lighter and easier to handle and smaller to move around. I don't think everyone should have one. Taking off exhaust fans can be a pain, but I have bought and adapted nut drivers and close quarter ratchets to work. You don't need to have those necessarily, but they make it easier.

I prefer the compact nature of the stoves I have. I like the idea that they have compressed a lot in a small area. I would not like a stove designed to have easy access to all parts, it would probably fill a room.

Lousyweather said:
Arnold said:
kinsman stoves said:

So, from how I am reading this, even though its an obvious case of lack of maintenance, its STILL the stove co's fault, right? As for furnaces, they move ALOT more air than these distribution fans do, and have a much larger intake.....I submit though, that even if a filter system were in place, the folter would still go uncleaned and unchanged........as for the furnace argument.....they rarely get changed as well when its up to the homeowner

Thats a ridiculous claim. Millions of sales of furnace filters in hardware stores says your wrong.

Also, these stove co's have to accept some accountability. They need to take the crayons out of whatever kids hands that designed these things and make the inside motors that require maintenance more accessible. You shouldn't have to 80% disassemble the unit to clean it.

Status
Not open for further replies.