The pellet stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bytheocean

May 22, 2016
ny
I am replacing my wood stove with a pellet stove. My wood stove pipe is horizontally and goes straight into the wall. Can the pellet stove ppe be horizontal or does it need to be vertical. Thank you

Welcome to the forum. Does your current wood stove vent into a chimney? I don't think I've ever seen a woodstove without vertical chimney... Photo might help.

As to the pellet stove, it depends on the stove. I have a Ravelli stove (Italian) that is vented horizontal. Others require at least 3 ' of vertical venting. There are other factors that need to be considered when determining venting run ... windows, doors, eaves, intakes for other appliances, etc. I would suggest that you narrow the choice of stove down to a couple and then download the install manual. They contain specifics for venting for that stove...

Let us know how you make out.

I am replacing my wood stove with a pellet stove. My wood stove pipe is horizontally and goes straight into the wall. Can the pellet stove ppe be horizontal or does it need to be vertical. Thank you

I suspect your old woodstove had either a rear horizontal outlet or there was rise followed by a bend on the interior stove pipe that allowed the pipe to run nearly horizontal through the wall. Once through the wall it either entered a vertical masonry chimney or a tee with a vertical pipe chimney up to above the roof.

They make transitions from 6" or 8" stove pipe to pellet vent. This installation should be shown in your owner's manual. You can maximize or minimize the amount of stove pipe size pipe by locating the transition near the pellet stove or near the wall.

Cleaning will be more difficult since your regular brush that is sized for a pellet vent will be too small for the wood pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.