The perfect burn!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott2373

Nov 9, 2011
Williamson, New York
Hi all. I'd like to share a short video of my new Rangeley burning exactly as it was designed. Please read the commentary under the video for details! Check it out here: http://youtu.be/4UDOAyHoW5Q] Watch it in HD on full screen for the full experience :)

My wife is very excited that she'll be warm this year. For the last ten years we've lived in an old house built in 1943 with oil heat and no insulation, save what they put on along with the siding. We paid $325 for 10 fc of slab wood. Last year, that might pay our heat bill for a month or two! Enjoy the video and I welcome any comments! :)

Edit: Here's another one: http://youtu.be/mxQzIWrY14k

Welcome to the forum. It is always nice to hear another success story. I hope you hang around this is a great forum with some amazing knowledge.

Oh and btw, awesome secondary burn there !!!

Shawn

I enjoyed watching your excellent burn video and wish that we could get a similar result with our stove. We also have an old house to heat and have replaced a 1930's Enterprise Wood Cook Stove , with a Jotul Rangely this Fall.

When I get my thoughts together, I will post another message concerning our problems.

@ Bretonburner. I found that the secret is to load it right up with good seasoned wood. Turn your primary all the way up for about 15-20 minutes until it's blazing in there. When the secondaries fire up, you can turn it down to almost nothing and that burn should continue for hours. I started out using wood with a higher moisture content, but just couldn't attain the high temps necessary long enough to kick in the "afterburners". Using seasoned wood is imperative with these new high-efficiency wood stoves. It took me about 2 weeks to get her figured out, but now I've found the "sweet spot". You WILL enjoy this stove, I guarantee it! :) Good luck and happy burning!

That burn is EXACTLY what I am trying to acheive with my Englander 30 and haven't been able to do so - yet. It's driving me nuts!

Very nice.

Bill

Welcome and very nice burn! Love to watch "rolling" flames and the secondaries, it's so soothing.

Nice burn, I almost felt the heat. :)
Like your observation " I found that the secret is to load it right up with good seasoned wood."
Well said, Good seasoned wood ;)
We are hoping to make that "NOT" a secret on this forum. :)

Warm welcome to the forum, and that's an impressive secondary burn there.

Funny how nobody ever seems to film their oil heating systems working........ ;-)

I also have a 30 and I am able to achieve it for about 1 minute or so then it goes away. Playing with the air may help. I am still learning my 30 as i got it last season.

leeave96 said:
That burn is EXACTLY what I am trying to acheive with my Englander 30 and haven't been able to do so - yet. It's driving me nuts!

Very nice.

Bill

In burning these Jotul (f400) stoves, is it better to have the lazy blue flame above the wood or a faster yellow flame above it? If I shut the air off completely, I get the former, and if I have it open 10% or slightly higher, I have the latter.

G6 at Snook said:
In burning these Jotul (f400) stoves, is it better to have the lazy blue flame above the wood or a faster yellow flame above it? If I shut the air off completely, I get the former, and if I have it open 10% or slightly higher, I have the latter.

I enjoy the blue "ghost" flames myself. Either way you can't go wrong I believe.

adrpga498 said:
I enjoy the blue "ghost" flames myself. Either way you can't go wrong I believe.

+1 Me too, thus my handle. :)

YaHoo...I'm on my second season with the Rangeley. Good point about the surface temps, with the baffle and top load it is decieving how hot the stove actually is. I have been burning White Ash exclusively and will be doing so for some time, the stuff that is a year-old is just too good to be true. Cant wait to add some dry oak late this season.

Good job!
Jim

I believe that with better wood (dry splits) I can achieve possibly over 10 hours judging by the coal bed I had in the morning!

leeave96 said:

Very nice.

Bill

It's an art finding the sweet spot and it took me a while with mine to get it right but now I can even achieve it with pine. Hang in there you will figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.