The perfect fit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My upstairs bedroom mini Rumford:)

Attachments

• hearth1.jpg
    hearth1.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 407
Hi, Thank You! I submitted a patent for this design and build them as a side business. I would like to see the opinions of the folks who use their fireplaces for beautiful winter scenery:) I made a bunch of prototypes and my latest design rocks the Rumfords=easy to start, self feeding, produces lots of heat, and looks beautiful!
Steve

I don't own nor have I ever used a Rumford, but I have researched them quite a bit and would like to build one eventually. I have read in a few places that using a grate in Rumfords is discouraged and it actually works better without...

http://www.rumford.com/articleFire.html

"No grate is needed with a Buckley Rumford fireplace. You can build a fire right on the hearth. In fact the fire burns cleaner if you do."

I googled and read a bit, but I guess I don't understand the concept. How are they different from a fireplace? I could only find muddled diagrams even on wiki. How are they self feeding? I have a very small fireplace on my 3rd floor but I know it was probably for a coal basket. TIA

The rumford design is taller (openings are square or almost) and shallow. They work best when wood is set up on end to create tall flames and warm up the side brick surfaces. The chimneys are necked down to create the bernoulli effect which sucks the smoke out but does not over evacuate the heat. You do not have to use a grate if you like stoking, restacking, ash removal after almost every fire, and embrace the danger of a log tipping out of the firebox. That website (www.rumford.com) is very helpful and has some good data but keep in mind, they DO NOT have any data utilizing my new grate design.

Status
Not open for further replies.