The pile closest to the house....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lowroadacres

Minister of Fire
Aug 18, 2009
MB
This morning I put our 11 and 13 year old young men to work on the yard. I gave them two small tasks today. They were to fill the wood boxes by the fireplace and by the stove. Then they were to split two pails full of kindling.

We had a wonderful teachable moment as they used the wheelbarrow and wagon to bring wood across the yard.

"Dad, how come we can't load the boxes from the pile right by the house?"

It felt good to be able to educate the boys that you leave the pile closest to the house until the last part of winter or until those days in the middle of winter when conditions are rotten enough that you cannot get across the yard with the wood sleigh of the wheelbarrow.

"Okay Dad. That makes sense."

Maybe we are doing something right after all.

Ah the precious moments of fatherhood...........thanks for sharing that, and "thanks" for teaching yet another generation about the value of frugal living!

-Soupy1957

It got better. This evening together my bride and I and all four kids cleaned up about 4 gallons of grapes from our vines.

Into home made jelly they will go tomorrow.

We are keeping an eye on that. We have very few wood boring insects here in Manitoba. It helps that we get weeks on end of minus 40 ;)

I wish we could get those temps., might stop the bugs. If it helps, "KMantpro.co" has a gentle solution to carpenter ants. I'm checking into it now, but have a 30yr. neighbor who swears by it.

Beetle-Kill said:
I wish we could get those temps., might stop the bugs. If it helps, "KMantpro.co" has a gentle solution to carpenter ants. I'm checking into it now, but have a 30yr. neighbor who swears by it.

Careful what you wish for, it's not as glamorous as it sounds. I have an extra room if you want to really experience a -40 °C Canadian winter. No need to book ahead it's always empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.