The Pile is growing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wg_bent

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Poughkeepsie, NY
According to my calculations, I'm 2/3 of the way there for next year. bout 6 cords here.

Attachments

• P1010302.JPG
    P1010302.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,006
Ya I would say so!! Nice job, Like I said it warms you twice!

ps take a break tomorrow and Happy Easter to you and your family!

Nothing warms the heart in spring like a nice stack of fresh-split firewood waiting for next winter. Happy Easter all!

Well, ...first of all,..this is my first post, I have ordered a wood burning insert for my fireplace, and have been using the chainsaw, and splitting firewood like crazy on this 2.38 acres with a new house here in the Pacific Northwest. Really looking forward to showing all my "wood-pile" prior the the start of this wood burning season. Summer isn't really even here yet, but I am ready for old man winter,..well, I will be very soon!

detmurds said:
Well, ...first of all,..this is my first post, I have ordered a wood burning insert for my fireplace, and have been using the chainsaw, and splitting firewood like crazy on this 2.38 acres with a new house here in the Pacific Northwest. Really looking forward to showing all my "wood-pile" prior the the start of this wood burning season. Summer isn't really even here yet, but I am ready for old man winter,..well, I will be very soon!

Welcome to the forums. What kinda wood you cutting there? Usually a lot of pine around there. I got about 3 cords maybe a little more of free pine delivered to me by a friend and so I'm cutting chunks very large to keep the stuff from burining too fast. Just hope it dries out enough to burn some this year. Pine seems to be hard to tell if it's green or not, since it's so light even when wet. Most other woods you can sort of tell by the weight when you pick up a split.

Good luck with your new toy.

Well Warren,...first off,...sorry it took so long for me to reply! I opoligize for that. As for the wood that I am splitting,...it is basically the big "fur" or "fir" trees you see here in Washington state. I was able to buy 3 DRY cords for 300 dollars here recently,...so I think I am set (it was delivered to me as well).

I also would like to state that I finally got my insert installed today,...it is one of the small models, but I love it, and I'm sure I will really love it when I need it! It is the Avalon brand, "Pendelton" model. I will post pics of it here very soon! I did manage to take pics of it while being installed in my tiny fireplace. I will share it with all here soon!

detmurds said:
Well Warren,...first off,...sorry it took so long for me to reply! I opoligize for that. As for the wood that I am splitting,...it is basically the big "fur" or "fir" trees you see here in Washington state. I was able to buy 3 DRY cords for 300 dollars here recently,...so I think I am set (it was delivered to me as well).

I also would like to state that I finally got my insert installed today,...it is one of the small models, but I love it, and I'm sure I will really love it when I need it! It is the Avalon brand, "Pendelton" model. I will post pics of it here very soon! I did manage to take pics of it while being installed in my tiny fireplace. I will share it with all here soon!

Splitting pine stinks eh? I think it might actually be worse than Elm. All those knots and branches that seem to grow all the way through the trunk. Plus a maul sinks into the wood and just mushes rather than splitting the round. At least elm cracks when you hit it hard enough.

Oh just got a line on another full cord of elm. All cut and placed by the road. All I have to do is pick it up. some of the rounds look to be up to 24" across. Those ought to be fun to split.

If you're not careful, Warren, you're going to wind up like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.