The price of a cord of wood in 1880......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Silver is making a nice move now, over $20 per ounce or almost $10 for a 50 cent piece. I think percentage wise it will move faster than gold, but will probably never catch up to gold on a percentage basis. It still would have been nice to keep all the silver coins I had when I was a paper boy in the 60s. I kept all my silver dollars and half dollars so I can't complain. Any investment that goes up 2,000 percent is too bad! And you get to touch it, not like a paper investment. Also the rarities of certain coins really exceed the metal, which gives a double boost. Not that this has alot to do with wood.

I have a reprint of the 1800's Sears catalog. They offer something like a 40 lb barrell of pickles in a white oak barrel for around $2.00. I think pianos are about $10.00 The prices are amazing. I remember 12 cents a gallon gas during a price war, as long as we are taking a trip down geezer lane, Randy

Thanks for the memories guys.....I'd forgotten the good ole days when i worked the farms for a dollar an hour. Had to help move the out house and had to fetch water for grandma so she could cook us breakfast on her wood cook stove. I still have some Bose speakers I got while on active duty in 75. And i think my first paycheck in the Army in 1970 was somewhere around $120 bucks. My first brand new car...$3000 my first house on a corner lot....three bedroom brick with 2 car garage at Fort Hood.... $25,000.00. While fun to go back, I wouldn't if i could.

thanks for the stroll down memory lane.

cass

tcassavaugh said:
Thanks for the memories guys.....I'd forgotten the good ole days when i worked the farms for a dollar an hour. Had to help move the out house and had to fetch water for grandma so she could cook us breakfast on her wood cook stove. I still have some Bose speakers I got while on active duty in 75. And i think my first paycheck in the Army in 1970 was somewhere around $120 bucks. My first brand new car...$3000 my first house on a corner lot....three bedroom brick with 2 car garage at Fort Hood.... $25,000.00. While fun to go back, I wouldn't if i could.

thanks for the stroll down memory lane.

cass

Ah, Cass, Army memories.

1969 - Army pay for hubby was $70/month. As a dependent, I received $100.

Our off-base rent was $125 in that military town.

We bought our tv at the local pawn shop for $5.

I was lucky enough to get a job even though the local businesses normally turned down military spouses because we never knew when our spouses would be shipped out. I think I earned $1.10 per hour and the two-way city bus ticket was $.10 (hubby needed the car to get to and from base). I turned down a car hop job at the local A&W because we didn't have the $3 needed for my 'health certificate'.

We bought a Wahl hair clipper set (still have it and still use it on hubby and used it on the kids when they were little) at the local PX for $7.50 because hubby had to get his hair cut every 2-1/2 weeks and it was breaking our piggy bank at $1.75 per hair cut.

Movies on base were $.25 and bowling was $.10 a lane and bowling shoes were $.05 - we didn't go often because we couldn't afford the luxury.

Of course this 'northern girl' had never been exposed to cockroaches and quickly tired of waking up each morning to have one or more of those critters sharing my bed pillow. I learned from the locals to put used motor oil in 3 lb. coffee cans and then set the legs of our metal bed frame inside the coffee cans and tuck the sheets in (military style) so no critters could join us in bed. The landlord tried to control these critters by having a pest control company come through every two weeks, but living in a cement block building there were simply too many places for the critters to hide.

Our first Christmas together in that military town was sparse. Our 'tree' was a pine scented candle placed strategically in the center our coffee table with one gift for each of us wrapped in the colorful Sunday comics newspaper.

When any of our neighbors had a baby (we were all military families) no one put a "It's a Boy!" or "It's a Girl!" sign in their window. They put either "$7.50" of "Free" in their window. You see, it cost $7.50 to have a boy baby circumcised, girls were 'free'.

It was an experience of a life time as you just never knew when the levy came down who was leaving that month and most service men were sent to Nam with very few others going elsewhere. We lived, literally, holding our breath every day knowing what could come but trying to live our daily lives as normal as possible.

Shari

Thanks Shari,
Some of the most resourceful people I know were those that served or families of those that served. It wasn't easy then, the base pay way back then was no where comprable to the percentage that is provided today to our volunteer armed forces. Then, if you were drafted, you did your time went where they told you and hoped to hell you didn't go to Vietnam. I was lucky, I went to Germany instead and by the time my three years was up, they were winding it down and not really sending any one over any more. I stayed in for a total of ten years and got out. These recent conflicts have posed the same problems on our service members. The faces have changed but the problems and worry remain the same. I work with active duty service members here in D.C. and its funny how the conflicts have changed, the faces have changed but they're still robbing Peter to pay Paul and continue giving their heart and soul in defense of our freedoms. This is just a resting place until its time to go back again. I applaud these soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines and thank them for their service. They hold my utmost respect.

.....now back to our regularly scheduled broadcast.....gotta get bulding on my shed (LOL)

cass

I recently found an ad in craigslist where a guy has 300 tops (mostly oak) from March of 2009. He wants $35 for a full cord/U-cut. It's in rugged terrain and is having a hard time getting buyers. Deals can be found but going price in this area is $140-170 some with delivery and some not.

Cave2k said:
I recently found an ad in craigslist where a guy has 300 tops (mostly oak) from March of 2009. He wants $35 for a full cord/U-cut. It's in rugged terrain and is having a hard time getting buyers. Deals can be found but going price in this area is $140-170 some with delivery and some not.
We're spoiled around here. I just missed out on a large tree that was cut down & bucked to firewood length. It sat for three days & then my neighbor told me about it & was 4 blocks away. Around here you just drive your pickup down the roads & load it up with free wood, Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.