The price of Fuel oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Taperbill

Oct 19, 2010
Pine City, MN
First a loud scream..

From my local co op I deal with I ordered # 2 to be delivered 15 miles to my farm.
100 gallons for heat while on vacation.

$$ 320 for 100 gallons ???? $$$
Corn is up over $5.25
ah the pellets..

If it goes any higher I may just allow someone to live in my home for free and keep the stove hot.

Next year I will be smarter ..buy 4 large yellow cans and buy when I see prices
low and knock out the delivery COST hassle and buying at the wrong times.

What price do you pay for your main backup heating supply.

Bummed in MN...but Golfing in Kentucky next week.

Hey..dont they make a good pellet down there :)

Taperbill said:
First a loud scream..

From my local co op I deal with I ordered # 2 to be delivered 15 miles to my farm.

Corn is up over $5.25
ah the pellets..

If it goes any higher I may just allow someone to live in my home for free and keep the stove hot.

I pay $3.09/gallon of #2 heating oil and right now it is my only heat source. Can't wait to start heating with wood.

I found a local company that always seems to be lower, last fillup was $2.59 a gallon, that was the highest its been for awhile.

lordgrinz said:
I found a local company that always seems to be lower, last fillup was $2.59 a gallon, that was the highest its been for awhile.

Wow, thats cheap. I could get it for as low as $2.90/gal, but I chose instead to lock in the price for the season at $3.09. I needed more stability to make sure we could budget for oil.

Taperbill said:
First a loud scream..

Corn is up over $5.25
ah the pellets..

Watch the corn price. It fell big Friday and falling again.

We're currently selling fuel oil here for $2.73 per gallon, just as an FYI. Locking in for the year at a $3.09 cap price doesnt seem like a bad deal right now with the price of crude going up.

This fall you could get #2 here for $2.39 a gallon.

Delivery yesterday 2.769 per gal

Edit double post

Franks said:
We're currently selling fuel oil here for $2.73 per gallon, just as an FYI. Locking in for the year at a $3.09 cap price doesnt seem like a bad deal right now with the price of crude going up.

Yeah, I'd be willing to bet that #2 will get well over $3.25/gal this winter here in Maine.

Diesel is way up...my profit is waaaaaaay down.

Anybody need a Peterbilt?

I don't mean to start a political flame but I find it awfully ironic that a day after the republicans gain a strangle hold on the house, the fuel prices soared.

Turbo-Quad said:
I don't mean to start a political flame but I find it awfully ironic that a day after the republicans gain a strangle hold on the house, the fuel prices soared.

You have it all wrong, they don't control the house until January of next year.

Todays price for #2 here in NY is $2.93. I topped off both tanks in July at $2.35

Turbo-Quad said:

Blame it on Bush, and you get extra points from forum management

Oil and all other commodities go up when the Fed prints money , de-valuating the dollar. De-valuate the dollar inflation goes through the roof , every time , bank on it!

Delivery yesterday 2.769 per gal

I filled up on the last day in September for $2.59 per gallon. Now that I have an Avalon Astoria pellet stove that can heat the entire 2,000 sq ft split, I will not need oil until next spring when the price starts dropping again. I bought the 3 tons of pellets in July and got the low summer price. Therefore I will never again pay winter price for home heating fuel!!

Summer Prices For

Attachments

• SummerHeat.jpg
    SummerHeat.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 411
krooser
Posted: 16 November 2010 02:52 PM  

Diesel is way up…my profit is waaaaaaay down.

krooser, you need to plan your route to be downhill both ways. Kind of like our parents / grandparents walking uphill both ways for school.

$2.68 a gallon last fill up but I don't pay for it my
brother does. It gets used for the hot water mostly.

Former Farmer said:
krooser
Posted: 16 November 2010 02:52 PM  

Diesel is way up…my profit is waaaaaaay down.

krooser, you need to plan your route to be downhill both ways. Kind of like our parents / grandparents walking uphill both ways for school.

In a blizzard at 25 below just for good measure ;-).

300 Gal of HHO filled my tank on 8/11/2010 @ $2.32 Gal.

All of you who waited for the colder weather to get their oil just played into the oil companies hands.....they ALWAYS raise the price as soon as colder weather starts in the NE.

CODOIL.com is the cheapest one near me, and even they are asking $2.79/gal for 300 or more Gal.

So, lemme see.......47 cents times 300 gal = $140 saved by buying during the slow season.

NH prices (wood price quoted is on the high side, just sampled a few known expensive sellers, same for coal)... You have to check out the sunflower seeds, though, they are the way to go it seems (calculated from bagged price since I have never seen them available by the ton).

Attachments

• NH prices.jpg
    NH prices.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 374
imacman said:
All of you who waited for the colder weather to get their oil just played into the oil companies hands.....they ALWAYS raise the price as soon as colder weather starts in the NE.

Or they are like me and were in the middle of replacing their oil tank and didn't finish till November 1. Also, I use 700 gallons/year for my heating and dhw - no way am I going to store that much oil in my basement so I can get it during the cheap summer rates. Sure, I'll fill my tank in the summer if it has room, but thats about it.

Last year it stayed flat, but this year its went up quick. Regardless, its almost always the same thing. Cold snap? Prices go up. Oil up? Prices go up. Warm spell? Well, the suppliers aren't making any more heating oil so we're going to wait and see.

I have no doubt its a racket.

Status
Not open for further replies.