The proof is in the stack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chad3

Feeling the Heat
Feb 13, 2007
Southeast CT
Just cracked into my new stack of oak that I cut and split two years ago. One stack is covered (since August), the other is uncovered. Uncovered it still hisses pretty good out the ends. Covered, it is very light, no hiss and burns very well. The uncovered stack was actually split first. This shows as has been said, make sure you cover the wood before the fall rains start to come.
Figured I would post some results.
Chad

Thanks for the update. I too have the Oak problem, lots of it, and not enough time.

However, when you can find that DRY oak, DAMN! some great heat.

I have been restacking into single rows to get more wind throught it.

Until I met Hearth.com, just about half of what I was doing was wrong. Plenty of knowledge here.

KC

I am spending today segregating my stack. All the oak I come across comes inside for a week first. The dead stuff that had no bark when cut seems fine though. It was delivered log length in march. The beech seems to burn as good as last years 'seasoned' that was left over. that was already cut/split. my this year wood was stacked in 2 -40' ranks 6' high with plywood on the top and a tarp on that .

iskiatomic said:
Thanks for the update. I too have the Oak problem, lots of it, and not enough time.

However, when you can find that DRY oak, DAMN! some great heat.

I have been restacking into single rows to get more wind throught it.

Until I met Hearth.com, just about half of what I was doing was wrong. Plenty of knowledge here.

KC

+2 i have some oak and it sizzles but it has been covered for about 2yrs .. problem is where i stack my wood is 12Lx18Wx5H so once you get into it ... i get some hissing but i dont have space to do single rowsacross my yard... my neighbors already hate the wood as it is

Status
Not open for further replies.