The quotes are in !!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pallet Pete

I got two estimates today for insulation at the urging of BeGreen and Dennis and others I am giving it another price shot to see the cost's. First company's quote is as follows

On all exterior walls not gables foam insulation of 5.5R per inch. (Air-krete) Total $7,590 (Walls) Attic (1,995) Overall Cost is 9,585 + Tax :bug:
They say 5.5 on the paperwork then on the phone 5.1 the Air-Krete website says 3.9R HMM not adding up here!

The next quote came from the same folks who did Dennis's home.

All exterior walls not gables Foam insulation of 5.5 everywhere I look is listed as 5.5R a square inch. (Tripolymer) 3100 (Walls) Attic (900) Total 4000 + Tax :cheese:

What a difference it is almost unbelievable!

Pete

I found similar wide diferrences in quotes for blowing in more fiberglass in attic. Weird.

The worst was 2 years ago one estimate was 20,000 for the whole house my sides about burst from lauphter as the estimator said the cost! I told him he was nuts and he said you won't find a better deal any ware then I said yeeeaaaa your not getting my money. I gave up looking after three such estimates sadly but thanks to the hearth community I am giving it another go so far with good results.

Pete

Here's a question on blow-in/foam wall insulation - it's curiosity only, since I have very good bat insulation and am not looking to do this work on my own house. When someone contracts this job out, they're basically at the mercy of the person doing the work. Since the stuff is hidden inside of the walls, there normally wouldn't be any way of knowing exactly how good of a job was done. It could be a great job, or a complete hack, depending on the skill and integrity of the contractor. So, my question - do any of these insulation contractors use IR scanners to do a before/after "proof" of the work they've done? The good IR units are big bucks, but I would think that a top-shelf pro would like to be able to show how effective their work is. I'm guessing that Holmes would give you a full before/after IR hard copy printout, and also come back in 5 years to show you that it isn't settling :lol:

willworkforwood said:
Here's a question on blow-in/foam wall insulation - it's curiosity only, since I have very good bat insulation and am not looking to do this work on my own house. When someone contracts this job out, they're basically at the mercy of the person doing the work. Since the stuff is hidden inside of the walls, there normally wouldn't be any way of knowing exactly how good of a job was done. It could be a great job, or a complete hack, depending on the skill and integrity of the contractor. So, my question - do any of these insulation contractors use IR scanners to do a before/after "proof" of the work they've done? The good IR units are big bucks, but I would think that a top-shelf pro would like to be able to show how effective their work is. I'm guessing that Holmes would give you a full before/after IR hard copy printout, and also come back in 5 years to show you that it isn't settling :lol:

Yes many do use IR cameras to prove the work.

Good on you for sticking with it Pete! If it were me I'd be sitting there wondering how much room was still left in that $4K quote! :)

A good contractor will also drop down a small weight on string into the cavity, then measure the string once the weight hits. If they hit an obstruction mid-wall they drill a new hole under the obstruction and measure again. That way both cavities get filled.

At least in my neck of the woods the price has dropped considerably in the last few years. A couple of contractors had the market cornered for a long time until recently.
6 years ago I had 1 truck bay in my shop sprayed with closed cell. 22' x 42'. 20' ceiling on one side 14' on the other . 1 of the walls has a 14'x 14' door. $4200. I think I could get it done now for 30-40% less. At the time I had it done I figured up bat insulation for the ceiling and board for the wall and came up with around $3000 in materials + labor. Glad I went with the spray . No drafts and you can literaly heat it with a small torpedo heater and use very little fuel.
I think I'd get a couple more quotes. There's a big difference in those prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.