The Real Hazzard of burning Pine - Death Rays

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beowulf

Dec 24, 2009
SoCal Southern Sierras
Yes, I have read of the hazards of creosote formation, chimney fires, and sap on your gloves, pants, wife, etc. all associated with that vile wood species "PINE." However, I have been conducting clandestine studies on the real hazard of burning "PINE." Yes, fellow hearthites, the hazard involves infra-red death rays!!!

I noticed them almost the first time I loaded the old QF up with some pine borer supplied splits and ignited it. I found my self staring almost helplessly at the ghostly secondary and tertiary combustion flames, when the infra-red death rays began to work their evil upon me. The next thing I knew it was 4 hours later and I was just waking out of their life sapping fog; just in time to load more "PINE" into the stove and try to escape.

I find this happens almost every time I load her up with "PINE" and watch those deadly secondaries dance their inoxicating undulations behind the glass. The next thing I know, I am waking up to a cold room and 4, maybe even 6 hours of my life have been removed in some unexplained manner. I am almost sure it is caused by the Evil "PINE."

That's why I refuse to get a stove with glass in the doors. We have enough trouble with alien abductions around here. I don't need to be adding more mysterious occurrences for me to worry about.

Good thing I can type as I watch it burn... That explains why the ratio of Easterners to pine-burners is so high, we're trapped by the stove and can't escape to contribute to Hearth.com. I think the PINE lets us just so we can spread the word and bring in fresh food, er.... new recruits to the PINE side.

moosetrek said:
Good thing I can type as I watch it burn... That explains why the ratio of Easterners to pine-burners is so high, we're trapped by the stove and can't escape to contribute to Hearth.com. I think the PINE lets us just so we can spread the word and bring in fresh food, er.... new recruits to the PINE side.

"When I collected my 3/4 cord of pine from my one acre yard (after the dec 10, 2008 ice storm,) I thought very little about burning it in my wood stove. My father in law kept saying: "that's all they burn out west", but I had heard all these anti-pine stories. So in the back of my mind I thught I'd burn it in the fire pit. WHAT A WASTE THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN! The stuff lights up fast in the mornings when you need it to. The burn show is great even without secondary burn! (I wish I had the dance though) I'll always mix it with my hard wood from now on. They give the stuff away around here, so I'll always have a supply. Enjoy your weekend ladies and gents and burn on!

Awesome, where I live oak is everywhere. A neighbor cut down a pine and I reluctantly took about a face cord. Now I can't wait to process, so I can miss work as I'm mesmorized.

newtothis said:
Awesome, where I live oak is everywhere. A neighbor cut down a pine and I reluctantly took about a face cord. Now I can't wait to process, so I can miss work as I'm mesmorized.

Process the pine.

It'll be ready next season. It's great for quick starts, reducing hardwood coals, burns great for when you are home, it goes on and on.

The pine we have here must be different, because I can' see getting an over night with the stuff that I have.

My pine death rays work just opposite here in Montana.....I feel my pine rays bounce around inside my Isle Royale and my Blaze king causing a quickened break down of the wood energy....therby causing me to return to the wood pile and deplete resources at an alarming rate.....4-5 hours of my life go by and I cant remember a thing other than the distant memory of a Fiskars flying through the air and the pine rounds exploding into 1/8 spilts and flying everywhere...i'll wake up exhausted and lying in the grass all sweaty...even in the dead of Winter....its starting to scare me!

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:

The pine we have here must be different, because I can' see getting an over night with the stuff that I have.

What we have here it Pitch Pine - just keep pitchin' it into the stove ;-)

PJF1313 said:

HA!

PJF1313 said:

LOL !! You have a point !!

But when it's seasoned (which is quick) it's a pyro's dream ;-)

Sounds like a job for Captain Sophie !!!

Sounds like a job for Captain Sophie !!!

Here she is to save the day.

Attachments

• shield.jpg
    shield.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 542
I burn a lot of pine that i take from 100 year old homes that i remodel. pine during the day and oak at night for a longer burn. All of it gives a light show as good as any TV show

Every time I burn pine, I store some of the death rays in a mason jar under the kitchen sink. That way if the N. Koreans nuke us, I'll be ready.

VCBurner said:
moosetrek said:

"When I collected my 3/4 cord of pine from my one acre yard (after the dec 10, 2008 ice storm,) I thought very little about burning it in my wood stove. My father in law kept saying: "that's all they burn out west", but I had heard all these anti-pine stories. So in the back of my mind I thught I'd burn it in the fire pit. WHAT A WASTE THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN! The stuff lights up fast in the mornings when you need it to. The burn show is great even without secondary burn! (I wish I had the dance though) I'll always mix it with my hard wood from now on. They give the stuff away around here, so I'll always have a supply. Enjoy your weekend ladies and gents and burn on!

Well that's a change . . . usually it's the father or father-in-law warning the younger generation that burning pine will lead to death, destruction and mayhem . . . sounds like your father-in-law should hang out here at hearth.com with us.

firefighterjake said:
VCBurner said:
moosetrek said:

Well that's a change . . . usually it's the father or father-in-law warning the younger generation that burning pine will lead to death, destruction and mayhem . . . sounds like your father-in-law should hang out here at hearth.com with us.

Thanks Jake, I'll have to tell him you said so, but be careful what you wish for... No, he's a pretty cool guy. We are a lot alike in some ways. Both Local 107 members (Worcester carpenters,) both have Surdiac wood/coal stoves (his is a larger model than mine), both married into a crazy family (mother is just as hazzardous as the daughter) :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.