The results after a full year of burning with the Kitchen Queen 480

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac Carlson

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2012
NW Wisconsin
We just cleaned out our Kitchen Queen 480 after a full year of use. We didn't use it a lot this summer, but it did get used. It was lit all winter. We do empty the ash about once a week. This is the first cleaning we have done to remove any ash and creosote from around the oven. We did leave the oven door open a lot during the winter last year to recover more heat and save some wood....it worked. There was some creosote around the oven, but not a lot. What was there was very dry, flaky, and powdery. We removed a total of about two gallons from the entire stove. Keep in mind this was not broken up or mashed down, just dumped in a bucket. The cool thing is the chimney was still clean even after burning through 4+ cord of mixed wood (half wet, half dry).

Our overall thoughts on the stove are only good. We love it. It puts out a ton of heat for the wood it uses and it cooks very well. We make uncounted pizzas, cookies, ham, rolls, and who knows what else in the oven. The stove top makes a fantastic steak. Using cast iron on this stove is a match made in heaven. Perfectly even temps all over the pan. This stove cooks FAST. The oven cuts cooking times by at least a third, sometimes half. Bacon cooks in no time and a steak is done in minutes. Water boils like magic. I cooked a pan of whole trout to a nice brown crust with just a handful of wood on the summer grate. That was the best fried trout ever. There is something about cooking with wood that makes everything taste amazing. Any time we had guests over for supper, they would comment on how cool it was that we were cooking with the wood stove. Once they tasted the food it was all over, they said it was the best food ever! We have to agree, the food from that stove is the best ever.

My wife likes the house warm, very warm. If it is less than 88 in here she is adding wood to the fire. We live in a drafty old farm house built in 1860 and the propane furnace that we removed when we moved in was barely able to keep the house at 60 and I don't think it ever got to 65. The EPA stove that was replaced by the cook stove worked hard to hit 75. This stove can easily get the house to 110 or more when it is -40 outside. It is wonderful to be able to lounge in your undies when it is -40 or even -60 and 90 in the house. The only down side is when people come over with no notice and you have to get dressed real quick. :)

We are looking forward to another good year with the queen keeping us warm and toasty.

My grandmother had a wood fired stove in her kitchen and man could she cook and her baked goods and pies were the best. Our family had to downsize her to a smaller place and she could never figure out how to use a modern range. They should have either left her on the farm or let her bring the old stove as she got old real fast after the move. Poor Grandma.
I'm glad you have helped me bring up old memories.

Reactions: Ash
Status
Not open for further replies.