The results of horizontal pipe with Wood Gun.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That last picture is the cold air intake pipe, if you are refering to the previous picture, it does like like it in the picture but it is at least 3' from that wall.

Mark,

I figured that was an intake setup. It looks pretty good to me. I've often planned to duct mine outside, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Did you increase to 6" due to the long run?

I see you run the Riello oil burner. How do you like it?

Stee,

It looks like there is more space between the pipe and the plywood than most single wall requires for code. No clue on the code nazis, but what he has there looks AT LEAST as safe as some 22 gauge steel "stove pipe" that the code accepts.

ac

I originally had the same intake route but with 4" and had some chugging issues the odd time so I went 6" and it didn't change anything, if anything I would have to say it made it worse, now I just let it do it's thing and the chuggng stops after a few minutes. Using the 4" was probably restricting some flow similar to closing over the intake damper a little bit. In the 3 years I have had this I only ran the burner for 1 week when I went away. The problem was that when I went to use it it was covered in soot, creosote and wouldn't fire up, the smoke plug AHS was letting smoke by it especially when it was chugging.It had become oval shaped from rocking back and forth. I did another alteration to fix this problem. I welded 4 stainless bolts around the oil fire tube and made a 1/4" plate that fits over it and is held there with 4 nuts. Only take a minute to remove. I could take some pics if you want. One last alteration I plan on doing eventually is making an aluminum cone shaped plug to replace the flat silicone/steel air inlet flap, I think metal on metal would be better, maybe not, just another experiment.

Mark, would like to see pics of the oil plug you came up with. So far the AHS plug is serving it's purpose for me but it's not exactly a tight fit. I had to defeat the fan when burning oil...draft was way too high...did you have to do this too? I also rarely burn oil but when I do I have to watch on the initial burn as the flu temps get really high...a consequence to no fan running???

ac, not exactly picturing your Roxul/cap idea...pics??

Nice job on the pipe Mark. I think you're on the right track. Long horizontal run allows the embers to drop out of the exhaust stream preventing them from going up and out on to your roof. I only had about two feet of horizontal about 6.5 feet up and had several fires in that little section. Scarey at times. As long as the pipe is substantial enough to support a one hour long fire, I'd say it takes care of two problems. My pipe would turn red and burn off the sealant several feet in both directions.

Mark, would like to see pics of the oil plug you came up with. So far the AHS plug is serving it's purpose for me but it's not exactly a tight fit. I had to defeat the fan when burning oil...draft was way too high...did you have to do this too? I also rarely burn oil but when I do I have to watch on the initial burn as the flu temps get really high...a consequence to no fan running???

Remind me and I will snap you some tonight.

ac

I haven't hooked my oil up yet. The burner is attached, just not the lines. Should I be cleaning it out regularly? I think we may go away next year during the winter and I will need the oil by then. Should that lower hole be blocked?

I haven't hooked my oil up yet. The burner is attached, just not the lines. Should I be cleaning it out regularly? I think we may go away next year during the winter and I will need the oil by then. Should that lower hole be blocked?

I don't have any first hand experience, but what I will do when I finally install my oil burner and consider using it is this:

1. Use the oil plug whenever burning wood.
2. When I plan to switch to oil I will remove the plug and clean the boiler of ash.
3. I will run the boiler on oil for at least a day to make sure it is reliably firing on oil before I depend on it.

ac

For sure, AHS recommends the plug if you are not using the oil burner weekly, if you have been burning wood for any length of time without a plug I can almost guarantee you your burner is covered with soot etc..and will not work. I am surprised you are not getting a smoke smell through it, the smoke can go down the oil burner tube and exit through the burner's air inlet. Although there is a flap there mine puffed smoke out of it when it was chugging even with the plug installed. Here is a pic of my original plug, it is kind of hard to see but the 3 layers are not aligned and the whole thing is not round anymore . This is my new cover, I remove it a couple of times/year just to test the oil burner and it seems to be working. The bolts are 1" X 1/4" stainless hex head, I welded the heads to the boiler. P3070008.JPGP3070009.JPG

Mark,

I get a bit of smell in the basement. It reminds me I am burning wood. Similar to the smell I had when I was running my wood stove in my living room.

I like that oil burner port cover. I don't know why AHS doesn't do it that way. Seems MUCH easier than the method they use actually.

ac

I don't think I got an oil plug. No smoke coming from mine. Gonna have to get a good cleaning done then. Thx

Try looking down the oil tube with a flashlight and you should be able to see if it looks dirty

Do you have auto or manual oil backup?

No plugs are supplied with auto as it could be very dangerous.

ac
That's the ticket. I have the auto version.

No plugs are supplied with auto as it could be very dangerous.

ac

Yep, we almost experienced this first hand. I was out of town and the Mrs didn't want to hassle with wood so asked me on the phone can she burn oil to which I replied yes a long as you pull the plug. Well, she pulled large one and fired the boiler for a few minutes when she realized something was wrong. Thankfully she killed the power and called me right away!!!! Got some smoke back up but that was a welcome outcome to what possibly could have happened!

Yep, we almost experienced this first hand. I was out of town and the Mrs didn't want to hassle with wood so asked me on the phone can she burn oil to which I replied yes a long as you pull the plug. Well, she pulled large one and fired the boiler for a few minutes when she realized something was wrong. Thankfully she killed the power and called me right away!!!! Got some smoke back up but that was a welcome outcome to what possibly could have happened!

What plug did she pull? The center gas chamber?

I was having problems with the fan extinguishing the oil flame but a friend of mine who works on burners adjusted the air inlet on the burner and now it works fine, I don't know too much about oil burners but there is a little flap in there that can be adjusted, it is closed when the burner is off and then it opens so much when it is firing, you can limit how far it opens.

I was having problems with the fan extinguishing the oil flame but a friend of mine who works on burners adjusted the air inlet on the burner and now it works fine, I don't know too much about oil burners but there is a little flap in there that can be adjusted, it is closed when the burner is off and then it opens so much when it is firing, you can limit how far it opens.

That's a Riello thing. Beckett doesn't have this. That is the main reason the Riello are a bit higher efficiency, less losses while the boiler IDLES. AHS chose the Riello because of that flap. It keeps the boiler vacuum created by the draft fan coming through the dampered intake and through the nozzles 100%.

ac

Lucky me, I randomly chose the Reillo over the Aero and Beckett when they offered me the 3 choices.

LOL

I'm glad you shared. I'm sure one of the WG-haters will add this to the list of things wrong with the WG.
Actually I'm neutral on that subject but that reminds me of a thought I had since the topic of Wood Guns has arisen even though I have not been invited to participate in the conversation.
What would be nice is if one of you guys had the cojones to insert a secondary combustion air tube through that plug and through the access door with some sort of air adjusting mechanism. I only became familiar with the need for secondary combustion since junking my Wood Gun and had recently thought if the injection of secondary air would achieve a more complete combustion and get rid of that sulfur smelling exhaust that's common with the Wood Gun. I still think it is the odor of unburned wood gas.

Actually I'm neutral on that subject but that reminds me of a thought I had since the topic of Wood Guns has arisen even though I have not been invited to participate in the conversation.
What would be nice is if one of you guys had the cojones to insert a secondary combustion air tube through that plug and through the access door with some sort of air adjusting mechanism. I only became familiar with the need for secondary combustion since junking my Wood Gun and had recently thought if the injection of secondary air would achieve a more complete combustion and get rid of that sulfur smelling exhaust that's common with the Wood Gun. I still think it is the odor of unburned wood gas.

Fred,

I've had that thought many times. I've been trying to work through an easy way to do it. I thought about a simple pipe from the intake running down along the back wall of the wood chamber and below the nozzle.

I believe AHS has a secondary air injection system designed, but I have yet to see one.

ac

With induced draft the air could come from the room. no other plumbing necessary.

EDIT: Oh I see. You don't want to drill a hole in your door;em

Status
Not open for further replies.