The results of horizontal pipe with Wood Gun.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With induced draft the air could come from the room. no other plumbing necessary.

EDIT: Oh I see. You don't want to drill a hole in your door;em

Correct, for 2 reasons.

1. If it doesn't work, I don't want a hole in the door since the door is complex made from steel and concrete of sorts.
2. How would I seal this hole up when there is no call for fire? Sticking with the intake would keep the air supply "off" when the damper closes. A separate hole in the door would not be closed when the damper closes.

ac

Correct, for 2 reasons.

1. If it doesn't work, I don't want a hole in the door since the door is complex made from steel and concrete of sorts.
2. How would I seal this hole up when there is no call for fire? Sticking with the intake would keep the air supply "off" when the damper closes. A separate hole in the door would not be closed when the damper closes.

ac
Perhaps you've listed the reasons for not having secondary combustion yet . More complicated than first imagined. Experiment didn't work....Now I have a hole in my doo!! Or perhaps you'll be retiring your cycle timer assuming the smallest amount of draft.
I had to replace the soft refractory in the doors because they are used as targets and they eroded away. I was able to purchase the same exact material from a commercial kiln supplier up in Montpelier Vermont.

Perhaps you've listed the reasons for not having secondary combustion yet . More complicated than first imagined. Experiment didn't work....Now I have a hole in my doo!! Or perhaps you'll be retiring your cycle timer assuming the smallest amount of draft.
I had to replace the soft refractory in the doors because they are used as targets and they eroded away. I was able to purchase the same exact material from a commercial kiln supplier up in Montpelier Vermont.

I don't see how air entering below the fire could ever exit below its entrance point and go up the chimney.

Did your doors have the SS skin over the refractory in line with the tubes?

Had you put any thought into tapping into the air intake tube in the wood box and running a pipe straight down along the back wall into the refractory behind the last nozzle brick?

ac

I never thought of secondary air at all when I had mine but I think adding secondary air at that point in the combustion tube would be too late.

I don't see how air entering below the fire could ever exit below its entrance point and go up the chimney​
What would stop the draft from sucking any air out the stack. Then make-up air enters loaded with oxygen.

Status
Not open for further replies.