The results of the anual cleaning after 1.5 cords of pine this year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wg_bent

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Poughkeepsie, NY
Well I cleaned the chimney yesterday. This after burning about 1.5 cords or more of pine last year. I know many folks fear pine as they think it produces a lot of creosote. Well, the chimney cap was cleaner than last year, and I got about 1.5 cups of ash from the chimney, and maybe another cup from on top of the baffle. So, from that experience, I learned that I will not only burn pine, I will gladly accept pine when offered it free. It produces heat just like oak, and my stove burns it cleanly. Granted, I'll save the oak for overnight, but pine will be seeing it's way into my stove a lot more this year.

I think you just have to know what you are doing to burn it correctly. Having the general population afraid to burn it might be a good thing...

Warren, How are ya? Yes I had similar results as I mixed your pine in with my wood, also once a week, I would just burn a couple splits of your pine alone and let her burn open, I had little to no additional accumulation in chimney, or smoke chamber, or on or around stove. Thanks again Warren for the gift of wood!

jtp10181 said:
I think you just have to know what you are doing to burn it correctly. Having the general population afraid to burn it might be a good thing...

This is true. I just scored over a cord of pine of Craiglist for free. There are still 4-5 cords left from this one tree. All the pieces were right at the curbside, could be lifted by one person, straight cuts,etc. I need to find more room to store the wood where my better half won't complain about it and I ciould probably go back next week and the pile will still be there (around here that is a rarity, and the only explanation is that people are afraid of burning pine).

Pine is evil. Pine must be destroyed. Please place all pine next to this pile to await proper disposal. I am a professional. Don't try this at home. Another row was added after the picture.

Attachments

• 2007 pine.jpg
    2007 pine.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 785
Im on my way to remove some EVIL from the forest right now. I fear nothing. BB you are a brave & unselfish man. :lol:
The only thing I will not do with Pine is smoke my fish with it.

come and get all you want ;)

woodpile006-1.jpg

woodpile004-1.jpg

woodpile005-1.jpg

woodpile003-1.jpg

pine, provided its dry and seasoned is not a bad thing pre se, but it will not last like hardwood. it burns hot and fast , isnt a bad daytime wood where sombody is home to add to the fire occasionally but forget about it in an overnight burn its a softwood relatively open grained so it burns fast. but if its seasoned out it will not leave a lot of gunk in the chimney.

now if its green it will make a serious mess, so make sure its dried out properly before burning it

Stevebass4 said:
come and get all you want ;)

Oh man I would have loved to have been there when that sucker hit the ground. Showtime!

I just had 5 overgrown spruce trees cut down and was seriously thinking of burning it, but there was so much sap everywhere I told the tree guys to just take it away. Too messy for my liking. There was probably 2 cords there, but I have 7 cords of oak, maple, and locust, so I'm not hurtin that much where I need to get all sappy.

Thats the problem with pine, its sappy. but I burn close to 2 cords a year (mixed with cedar and oak ) and have no problems. I hate cutting it and spliting it because of the sap but I just pile it for a year and its fine. burns hot but fast, I use it in the fall and spring and during the day in the winter and save the oak for overnight burns or really cold days

Some people forget that pine is prettey much 90% the fuel of the north, including Alaska. Its proven itself well. Per capita there is more wood stoves here than any where. Per capita. And pine is the fuel. Seasoned and left in rounds will give you a cleen over night burn. :eek:hh:

I cant leave it in rounds. most of what I cut is 2-3' in diameter. so I split it and it stills burns fine

nshif said:
I cant leave it in rounds. most of what I cut is 2-3' in diameter. so I split it and it stills burns fine

Blaze King owners put the whole trunk limbs and all in the stove in one load. Then it burns for a week. ;-P

I had a guy around here putting full rounds in for overnight burns, and he clogged up his cap by January.

When he called, the problem was smoking back and fire would not go about half-way through last season. When I suggested the cap was clogged he said it must be defective then, there was no way its clogged, the stove must have something wrong with it. Well... service guy went on the roof and sure enough, clogged up completely. After discussing burning practices and finding about about the full rounds thing the problem was obvious to him.

If ya feel its nesasary to split 4&6;" rounds than be my guest. If your woods dry it Shouldnt be a problem. Otherwise every house in this territory should of burnt down long ago. Obvious if your woods larger than that and its not dry and it smolders of course you could plug the chiminey. I guess I should have said larger peices for an overnight burn. We dont have those monster trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.