The right wood stove choice.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vtshredder

Jan 21, 2014
Wolcott, VT
I purchased a new very tight house with radiant heating from the slab. I am looking into cutting the propane costs, so I want to install a wood stove. The house is ranch with an in-laws apartment above the garage. The main portion of the house in an open floor plan with a kitchen, living, and dining area about 400 square feet. The entire downstairs is 1200 square feet. The in-laws apartment is 700 square feet. Right now we are just trying heat the downstairs with the wood stove but eventually we want to break through the wall, put an interior set of stairs in and make the in-laws apartment the master bedroom. Should I put in a wood stove designed to heat both places, or put in a smaller wood stove to start and then upgrade the stove when the master suite is done? If smaller wood stove first, any recommendations on stoves?

A women I work with has a Vermont Castings Encore only a few years old that is in really good shape, and I could get a good deal on it. Any thoughts on that particular model?

I would size the stove to take care of any future heating needs if possible.. But, if anything can outlast a good wood stove it's in-laws.

Reactions: bluedogz
A women I work with has a Vermont Castings Encore only a few years old that is in really good shape, and I could get a good deal on it. Any thoughts on that particular model?
While they are a nice looking stove, I would stay away from Vermont castings stoves, especially if its a non-cat. Parts are hard to get and can be very expensive. The main thing is do you have 2-3 year seasoned split staked wood? If not your not going to be happy with any stove you buy

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
Do you have a flue to connect your wood stove or do you need to buy pipe?

I purchased a new very tight house with radiant heating from the slab. I am looking into cutting the propane costs, so I want to install a wood stove. The house is ranch with an in-laws apartment above the garage. The main portion of the house in an open floor plan with a kitchen, living, and dining area about 400 square feet. The entire downstairs is 1200 square feet. The in-laws apartment is 700 square feet. Right now we are just trying heat the downstairs with the wood stove but eventually we want to break through the wall, put an interior set of stairs in and make the in-laws apartment the master bedroom. Should I put in a wood stove designed to heat both places, or put in a smaller wood stove to start and then upgrade the stove when the master suite is done? If smaller wood stove first, any recommendations on stoves?

Installing wood stoves is a pain in the @$$. I would get the one you want to end up with, unless you like projects and moving heavy things or you don't mind paying someone else to do it.

Reactions: fossil
Status
Not open for further replies.