The Road Goes on Forever, and the Projects Never End...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
Any Robert Earl Keen Fans here?

So I needed a fence to close in the side of the house near my garage. I'm trying to extend the driveway so that I can drive my truck into my processing area/woodshed without getting stuck. It will also be nice to be able to throw my garbage cans/whatever else back there without the whole neighborhood having to look at them. I wanted to make the fence and gate as robust as possible because nothing bugs me worse than seeing a sagging fence or gate door. The two gate posts are 4x6x12s buried about 3' 6" in the ground on gravel footings. I used concrete even though I know it can cause premature rot, I just can't see using compacted gravel for a post that's going to have a gate hanging from it. The fence posts are 4x4x10s buried 2' 6" in the ground with compacted gravel/stone dust. I bought them long because I'm going to build the grade up before I put the fence panels up. As you can see I have one diagonal brace up which stiffened the gate post significantly. I'll be doing the same on the other side. Finally, I will be using a beam made from a 3rd 4x6 and two 2x8s to span the tops of the two gate posts. This will stiffen the gate posts further and keep them from sagging inward. It will also make for a good sturdy beam to hang/hoist things from. I don't have any good trees for hanging deer in the yard because all of the branches are up high-hopefully I'll be setting the beam this weekend:

IMG_0924-1.jpg

IMG_0925-1.jpg

quite a big project with so many uses. I'm interested in the pics of the finished product. Good luck

wood spliter said:
Nice project. Premature rot or gate sag? I'll take the rot also. Good luck hunting!

Thanks! Hopefully I'll have a pic of a big one hanging there next year. As far as the posts, can is the key word. There are 30 page threads over at Tractor By Net arguing about this-from reading through them I gathered that one of the key things is drainage in the bottom of the hole. I made sure to put 4" of medium gravel in each hole as a drainable footing. Hopefully that will make all the difference

More progress today-mixed about half a yard of concrete by hand for the curb...my shoulders are feeling it now!

The first order of business was to pick up more concrete from Lowes-not without my faithful companion of course:
IMG_0931.jpg

So how does one guy place a 12' long 4 x 6 nine feet off the ground by himself? With the help of a Super Duty ;):
IMG_0927.jpg

Beam in place:
IMG_0929.jpg

The finished product:
IMG_0932.jpg

The "curb" and the "integrated drainage system"-pretty slick huh? ;)
IMG_0934.jpg

I probably need about 4 more bags to finish-oh joy :lol:
IMG_0935.jpg

I used rebar and reinforcing wire plus 5000 psi crack resistant concrete (the kind with the fiberglass bits in it) so I'm really hoping that it holds up to an 8000lb truck (loaded with firewood) rolling over it over time. We'll see.

My hands are sore just looking at your progress. Looking good!

My Oslo heats my home said:
My hands are sore just looking at your progress. Looking good!

Thanks! The next big project is the gate doors themselves which will be pretty beefy-more pics to come.

The projects never seem to end when you have a house. My husband's mind is always going...what project to do next....(I don't even want to think of the last project on his list...making the kitchen bigger and knocking down walls to make the kichen open to the dining and family room.) It will be nice but I think I will go away when that starts.... :ahhh:

You have been a busy guy badfish....your nerves must be kickin into overdrive :bug: .....the baby is coming very soon!!!
Isn't is about a week now? Hope you finish the project up before the baby's arrival.

(BTW, Best wishes to your and your wife :) )

wood spliter said:
I like the rounds in the background.

Free oak courtesy of Hurricane Irene! I'll enjoy burning that stuff out of revenge-that tree was down for almost week and snarled my commute something terrible until it was cleared. I was all too happy to swoop in grab as much as I could take at the time.

GAMMA RAY said:
You have been a busy guy badfish....your nerves must be kickin into overdrive :bug: .....the baby is coming very soon!!! Isn't is about a week now? Hope you finish the project up before the baby's arrival.
(BTW, Best wishes to your and your wife :) )

Thanks Gamma-yes, the day is a week from this Tuesday! This project is related since this will allow us to send the dog out to yard unsupervised when needed. This is our first and we're really excited. :)

Looks good....I agree about the sagging fence. I just about to start my own project...ripping out and moving walls upstairs. Of course 3 bedrooms and the hall will all be affected :)
Never done!

Good luck with the baby and the fence. Those big PT beams are freakin' heavy!

Flatbedford said:
Badfish740 said:

Yes.

+1

"Don't send me to heaven
It ain't where I should go
Cause the Devil's got a charcoal pit
And a good fire down below"

(Robert Earl Keen - it was the best Hearth.com quote I could find)

tickbitty said:
Flatbedford said:
Badfish740 said:

Yes.

+1

"Don't send me to heaven
It ain't where I should go
Cause the Devil's got a charcoal pit
And a good fire down below"

(Robert Earl Keen - it was the best Hearth.com quote I could find)

+1 Robert Earl Keen is the Man!

Status
Not open for further replies.