The savings in the 1st 2 months of owning my stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

md2002

Feeling the Heat
Oct 18, 2011
United States
I have had my stove for 2 months now and I thought I would post my "savings" to date. I figured this may help people that are thinking about getting a stove and some information for those who already have a stove. I have nothing to compare to because this is my 1st winter in the house so I can't look back on how much I spent last year. Here is what I have..

I filled up my oil tank (3 quarters of a tank) on November 5th 2011. I needed more oil so I had the oil company come fill my tank again on January 3rd 2012. Basically 3 quarters of a tank lasted 2 months. I have been filling my tank when it gets down to one quarter of a tank left. To fill up the tank ( 3 quarters of a tank) was $532 dollars. My pellet stove arrived on January 10th... Since January 3rd I have only used just over a quarter tank of oil and March 3rd will be the 2 month mark:

Before the stove I used 3 quarters of my oil tank in 2 months
After the stove I have used just over a quarter of a tank in 2 month

Of course this isn't scientific data because the weather has allot to do with it but I think the weather has been more or less the same over the last 4 months. It ranges anywhere from 13 degrees to 50 degrees with a couple of days in the single digits mixed in there. I did have to buy pellets so I am probably about even at this point but I think this is a good sign that saving on oil and the stove paying for itself is only a matter of time. Maybe 3 years maybe it will take 7 years?

The biggest upside of the stove is that the thermostat and temperature of the house was NEVER above 65 before I got the stove, with the stove my living room is a cozy 73 - 78 degrees depending on the weather. The rest of the house is between 64 - 67. I can't say enough about being comfortable in my own home.

My electric bill has gone up $7.00 with the stove, humidifier and room fan running.

yes to sticking it to the oil man!

I will post mine:

12/1/11 got 100 gallons of fuel oil to top off our tank. $351

by 12/23/11 we had used all the 100 gallons keeping the thermostat set on 62 degrees. cold and miserable.

12/23/11 installed our pellet stove.

We saved $2533 over what it would have cost us new for the same model and all accessories & venting and 2 tons of pellets that came with it.

so even with our $200 new combustion motor we bought for the stove we are ahead $2283 on the stove and $702 on fuel oil.

Now our house is a toasty warm 73 with it being 65-67 in rest of the house.

I don't know what our electric went up yet because there were other factors to more electric use last month.

To date:

2011/2012

Pellets = $675

Propane = $0

Electric = $87 budget every month

2010/2011

Pellets = $0

Propane = $2100

Electric = $192 Budget every month

You can see the savings, minus the $3100 cost to install. It was more but I installed myself and added other things not necessary to run the stove.

And to mention that we keep the house at 78 dowstairs and 74 up, the heat is very nice !! Worth every penny so far.

No need to do the math. Keeping the house at 67-68 was the norm before the stove. Wife was always cold and we just lived with it as warmer than that was just too expensive. Now the main living spaces are 71-74, a temp that is cheap to attain compared to before and more importantly, the WIFE is happy. You can't put a price on that....

RT

Status
Not open for further replies.