The SciFi of the 80's is today's family values dilemma

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CaptSpiff

Minister of Fire
Jan 13, 2014
Long Island, NY
All I can say is wow,... the dystopian SciFi of the 80's has turned into Family Values issues in only 25 years.

I have always had a positive future view where technological innovations provided solutions to today's dark/dire problems. I feel strongly that the forecast climate catastrophe will be averted and even over come with technology. But this area of future reproduction is something I've not fathomed before reading this:

https://www.creators.com/read/froma...rave-enough-for-the-new-world-of-reproduction

Not sure how much discussion should come from this thread. Perhaps quiet contemplation is enough for now.

Reactions: JimBear
All I can say is wow,... the dystopian SciFi of the 80's has turned into Family Values issues in only 25 years.

I have always had a positive future view where technological innovations provided solutions to today's dark/dire problems. I feel strongly that the forecast climate catastrophe will be averted and even over come with technology. But this area of future reproduction is something I've not fathomed before reading this:

https://www.creators.com/read/froma...rave-enough-for-the-new-world-of-reproduction

Not sure how much discussion should come from this thread. Perhaps quiet contemplation is enough for now.
You just need to decide between the blue pill and red pill.

Reactions: JimBear and begreen
*trying to stay out of political implications*

When are the wimmins going to start wearing those sci fi outfits?

While on the phone with my brother Dave the other day, he mentioned he had an "Alexa". I asked him to ask Alexa , " to tell Hal to open the pod bay door." She (it) immediately answered, " We are not in space, Dave. I can't do that" scary? Laughed out loud for a long time,even now as I write this!

This comment only due to thread title, unless we head in AI as life direction? how about?https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049366/videoplayer/vi3014131993?ref_=tt_ov_vi

Last edited:
Reactions: JimBear
As horrible as the thought is, I wouldn't be surprised if some nation started creating genetically modified warriors grown this way.

As horrible as the thought is, I wouldn't be surprised if some nation started creating genetically modified warriors grown this way.
You've been watching the star wars prequels again, haven't you, my young Padawan.

Strange thing is, every year goes by, now, more and more sci-fi stuff becomes reality.

Warp and/or light speed seems like the only thing currently implausable.

Why not? No mothers worried about their sons not coming home. It's every Arnold movie from the 80s realized! And every power hungry politicians dream. Imperialism part deux.

So I wasn't thinking so much about "clone armies", but rather factory grown replacement parts. With organ donors being more difficult to find, and the near perfect timing required, what better than to have a pre-matched organ bank?

It is difficult to "grow" an organ itself, but as part of a "human biosystem" floating somewhere, properly nourished and screened against defects. What would you pay for a replacement heart or kidney with near zero percent of rejection?

Probably too late for most of us, but something our kids will be opining on, no doubt.

I'm not sure if this is completely on topic, but...

There's a lot of talk about AI going around, but this is from the people actually working on the cutting edge of it. Good read:

Life30.jpg

(Personal opinion: I don't like the reliance on good intentions as the only way to control some of this).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: begreen
I just hate how all the clothes here in the future are getting more fitted, and shorter.

Like we are all narrow waisted 14 year olds who like their pants tight and short, and shirts hugging our manly dad-bods.

Also the ugly socks trend, to show off how creative we are. I guess that's why we need the short pants.

Oh, and the tight under armour shirts that only look good on professional athlete's. If you're not, keep it "under".

They don't!

But leave it to the internet to provide one explanation.

sagger.jpg

Reminds me of an old Our Gang episode.

Don't drink the milk. It's spoiled!

Isthmus be my lucky day!

Anyone watching the show Humans? It's very well done. My wife, who I always say doesn't like science fiction, really likes it.

She replied, "no. I don't like BAD science fiction," a comment about what I watch. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humans_(TV_series)

There was a good show about the things in the Star Trek (TOS) that are real today.

Check out the Expanse for good Sci Fi.

Reactions: firefighterjake
Amazon Prime (two seasons) and a new season coming out this year.

They get a lot of thumbs up from science folks for getting the physics of space travel right.

You've been watching the star wars prequels again, haven't you, my young Padawan.

Strange thing is, every year goes by, now, more and more sci-fi stuff becomes reality.

Warp and/or light speed seems like the only thing currently implausable.
it is not implausable- just technologically not possible at present- Working Ion engines now exist - That was the first 1/2 of the battle.