The Scourge of Hearth Rug Curl

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarmGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 30, 2006
Far Northern Calif. Coast
Do you guys have this problem? The hearth rug gets pushed towards the hearth, and curls up, meaning less hearth rug protecting your floor/carpet. I had the rare occurrence of an ember escaping while reloading, if it weren't for hearth rug curl, it wouldn't have made a burn mark in our carpet.

HearthRugCurl002.jpg

You'll note that there's a shish-kebab stick towards the right (pushed through the weaving), which was meant to solve the problem, but it didn't work.

I'm thinking of mounting the rug on a thin sheet of plywood so that this won't happen. Other ideas?

It needs to be secured at the front side,opposite the bricks. You could try wire staples (like for 14/2 wire) I have used them to secure carpet.

I might be wrong here but I though hearth rugs were 'fire resistant' not 'non-combustible'. Whether the rug was in place or not, doesn't your stove require a non-combustible surface 16-18' from the face of your stove? If you have this clearance my apologizes in advance.

Shari

Give two sided tape a try.

My hearth rug curls in the opposite direction and I'm constantly pulling it back. The only reason I haven't fixed it yet is laziness.
I'm going out to the garage today and grab some 3M double sticky. If that don't do it, nothing will.

WarmGuy said:
Tape, of course, thanks [slaps forehead].

Shari, the hearth is about two feet wide.

Dang, Al! You sure have some poppin' wood in there then!

Suggestion for the rug: Take a look at Walmart. They have a product made especially for 'creeping rugs' and is sold in the rug department. It looks like a waffle weave sponge. Alternately, they also sell the same thing for shelf liner - comes on a roll in the same aisle as contact paper. I use this waffle stuff under the cushions on my hardwood kitchen chairs - works great, leaves no mark, etc.

I will look around the net to see if I can find it and then edit this post with a link.

edit: Here's a link: http://www.doityourself.com/invt/0033050

and here's a picture:

Shari

Attachments

• liner.jpg
    liner.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 650
WarmGuy said:
...You'll note that there's a shish-kebab stick towards the right...

Hey, WarmGuy, that dang shish-kebab stick's combustible, get it outta there! :lol: Rick

While were on the topic, where can I buy a relatively neutral hearth rug for a reasonable price? The one I am using....and the only style I can find has a cheezy "faux-oriental rug" pattern that doesnt match anything. I put it away when we have company. There are nice one's through LL Bean, but so expensive...

Shari said:
I might be wrong here but I though hearth rugs were 'fire resistant' not 'non-combustible'. Whether the rug was in place or not, doesn't your stove require a non-combustible surface 16-18' from the face of your stove? If you have this clearance my apologizes in advance.

Shari

Yeap they help, but a good size ember will burn through.
Not a replacement for hearth protection.

My rug is made of fiberglass They didn't claim it to be fireproof, but they said an ember wouldn't burn through.

Do a search for "hearth rug" Carl. They're not cheap, but it's worth it when you have wall to wall carpet in front of your stove.

BTW the tape didn't work for me, so I used sticky backed velcro. It grabs onto the carpet very well and holds the rug in place.

I thought this thread was going to be about our tendency to "curl up" in front of the stove to watch the flames. The position I often find myself these days and it's a scourge because I am not doing anything that needs to get done. :)

The problem I have with the rug in front of my stove is related to the dogs. I pull it back, and they manage to squish it up forward again.

-SF

Velcro.

Concerning a rug on top of carpet.
you need the correct padding for under your area rug.
take a look here
http://finaltouchinteriors.com/galleryrugpads.html
it explains in a nice way the different pads available and includes a small pdf file which explains what pad to use for which surface.
With a small Area Rug like you have, you will always have to make some small adjustments by hand.
Just think that you have two soft surfaces which move up and down when you stand on it and therefore work against each other.
With a large area rug it is easier to control than with a small one.
Hope that helps as explanation for your problems.

With the type of rug you have, I would go ahead and take small nail and nail down the front of the rug in a couple of spots. The thickness of your rug should hide the nail (may want to iinclude a very small washer) I'm not talking 16 penny here or anything, just a small finishing nail with a big enough head not to poke throught the material. Of course, you need a wood sub-floor for this.

If done properly, it should hold the rug in place and not be seen. Sounds like a crazy thing to do, but I bet it works better than anything else, and Oh so cheap.

Incedentally, I happen to sell fireproof rugs. Not trying to be overly commercial here, but some on this thread have expressed the need for a nuetral colored fireproof rug. In other words, it's not a non-solicited sales pitch. Click on my signature and you will see the rug link on the right side of the home page.

Got mine, tan, at target

Woodford said:
My rug is made of fiberglass They didn't claim it to be fireproof, but they said an ember wouldn't burn through.

Do a search for "hearth rug" Carl. They're not cheap, but it's worth it when you have wall to wall carpet in front of your stove.

BTW the tape didn't work for me, so I used sticky backed velcro. It grabs onto the carpet very well and holds the rug in place.

Still not considered a permanent replacement for proper 18" hearth. Doubt it would pass inspection.
If just added on to a properly sized hearth, no problemo.
Either way, not like Mr. code man is going to stop by for a look.
Just sayin.............

Hogwildz said:
Woodford said:

Still not considered a permanent replacement for proper 18" hearth. Doubt it would pass inspection.
Just sayin.............
Brick extends 15" out from the insert face and is 9" up from the floor.

The rug hasn't budged since I put the velcro on it.

SlyFerret said:
The problem I have with the rug in front of my stove is related to the dogs. I pull it back, and they manage to squish it up forward again.

-SF

I know what you mean. My dog rolls it up in a nest to lay on it. I gave up and just let him have both. They end up all over the family room.

carl spackler said:
While were on the topic, where can I buy a relatively neutral hearth rug for a reasonable price? The one I am using....and the only style I can find has a cheezy "faux-oriental rug" pattern that doesnt match anything. I put it away when we have company. There are nice one's through LL Bean, but so expensive...

neutral tan at Lowe's... $15.... HD had them for around $25.

Woodford said:
Hogwildz said:
Woodford said:

Just sayin.............

Your 3" short, vertical run don't count ;)

Hogwildz said:
Woodford said:
Hogwildz said:
Woodford said:

Just sayin.............

This is Kentucky, they don't meddle in peoples lives here like they do in a lot of other states. Is this some kind of Federal rule?
Actually I plan on pulling up the carpet in the near future and refinishing the hardwood floors underneath. Having carpet in the same room as the stove has worried me from the start.

Woodford said:
Hogwildz said:
Woodford said:
Hogwildz said:
Woodford said:

Just sayin.............

This is Kentucky, they don't meddle in peoples lives here like they do in a lot of other states. Is this some kind of Federal rule?
Actually I plan on pulling up the carpet in the near future and refinishing the hardwood floors underneath. Having carpet in the same room as the stove has worried me from the start.
I believe its a Nation wide code, used to be 16" and changed last year I think or year before to 18".
Like I said, just saying, in all reality, I doubt big brother is roaming the countryside looking for short hearths.
Just keep in mind while the rug will be ok for a few embers and such (I had a few large ones that almost burned through), but if a split or something big rolls out, that carpet ain't gonna cut it.
I ended up extending my hearth after I installed the new insert.
Be safe & enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.