The scrounge that just kept giving...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eclecticcottage

Minister of Fire
Dec 7, 2011
WNY
A few weeks ago I posted about a scrounge close by with about 30 trees...it turned into about 50. Mostly pine, but some cedar, pear, cherry, maple, ash and a tiny bit of honey locust. We just started splitting, we've gotten maybe a cord done. It doesn't even look like we dented the pile. The trees came from two neighbors. On top of those, another neighbor wants some black walnut taken town. And...one of the two neighbors has a farm they want help cleaning up. Downed wood, more walnut. Sooo tired...and so thankful! Plus we've met some great folks! I can't wait to get it all CSS'd and get to gardening and cleaning up around here. And get the other scrounges we've got pending cleaned up (maple, cherry).

I can't wait to get it all CSS'd and get to gardening and cleaning up around here. And get the other scrounges we've got pending cleaned up (maple, cherry).
That's my problem too. Getting "the other pending scrounges" is taking all of my time. Well, that and loafing on the internet... :rolleyes:
Sounds like you're set for a while once you get it all done.

I know that feeling EC....I have been cutting and hauling home all winter and now I am working on getting it all c/s/s. Slowly making some progress but still have a long way to go. Good thing is I will be out ahead farther than ever before. With this warm weather will be mowing soon.

We're figuring (conservatively) that we've got about 3 years worth in the pile. We already have this season's CSS'd from last year, and at least a cord or two to CSS at the Old House. I haven't seen the walnut the neighbor wants down or the cherry yet. We've already hauled about half the maple home, but there's a good bit left, it was about a 3 footer (diameter)-already down and bucked. We also have a standing box elder and the bigger part of a trunk of another one to get...and I forgot about another maple, it's at least a 3 footer too. And a small choke cherry at the Old House, and a black walnut trunk (it's about 2' diameter, standing-thetop broke off years ago, and it's starting to regrow. Not gonna happen, messy ole thing) there too....between all of it, without the farm, I'm going to say we're about 5 year out now.

Electric, keep on and you'll be up with zap and a few others for how much wood you have. Believe me too when I state your stove will love the good dry wood and you will love the way it heats. You'll burn less wood after it has been in the stack a few years and you won't even have to clean the chimney as often.

you won't even have to clean the chimney as often.

That's good, I don't know how many starlings we can convince to sweep it for us, lol. We had one get into the flue Saturday and we had to take it apart at the collar on the stove to get it out-had about half a pie tin full of coffee grounds on top of the bricks (and one dirty bird) but not much inside the stack. Still having the stove shop out to clean it so we can see how to get it all apart to clean it ourselves-plus the have to look at the door (air leak). Might also have the telescoping pipe replaced because they didn't snug it against the stove top and it seems to be what's causing the rattle when the blower's on....

Status
Not open for further replies.