The season of giving

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rakers don't like nails much. Nor do the cutters. I knew that an old tree stand once stood in the tree, so I was actively looking for nails. I avoided all that were on the surface, but found some that must have been nailed in to the tree 20 years ago. They were 6 inches into the tree and made a mess of the blade. That was the last section of the tree I was cutting. It was at the base, and the center was rotted to some extent, so I left it there. There were likely 40 good splits that could have been harvested from the outer rings, but I called it once the nails were hidden like that.

Got a good look at tree number 2 today. It is huge. Don't know if it is Red Oak, more inclined to say White by the growth. We will see soon enough. It appears that a Walnut was squashed when the Oak came down, so I can have that too! I have a couple others spotted that I can take as well. I plan to take pics of the big Oak, and will post them soon. Thinking that new saw I have been contemplating is a good step at this time too. Enough wood there to justify it, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.