The season's begun . . . GW cleaned and fired up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ISeeDeadBTUs

I just couldn't stand hearing the oil burner come on. Been cool and rainy, so the solar gain was not enough to get the house bearable by the time the Mrs came home, so I turned the heat back on about a week ago. But hearing the oil burner prompted a trip out to the GW Saturday afternoon.

To my surprise, the clean-out access panels that I installed last year came off fairly easily. Next time I will design that differently, but for now they worked the way they were supposed to. Strange as it may seem, I have a poker that works very well for cleaning out between the tubes of the HX. As anyone that has used this style hydronic unit knows the tubes at the back were much worse that the ones at the top. In any event, about three hours from start to finish, and she was clean.

Being an impatient guy, I didn't take the time to fill the beast the 'correct way' choosing instead to simply fill through the overflow reservoir. Results in a temp gauge reading which exceeds 260 and lots of burping.

So we started burning on Oct 22 this year, as opposed to Oct 31 last year. Calling for snow Thursday, and 20's overnight. Here we go!!

Jimbo

My junk Spruce has been totally consumed and I had to bring the first load of hardwood to the Garn...no oil since 17NOV10. Still working on plumbing to get the new addition radiant floor connected and switching over to the better microflex buried line. It never seems to end...and I have hours of cleaning copper pipe ahead of me for next weekend!

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
I just couldn't stand hearing the oil burner come on. Been cool and rainy, so the solar gain was not enough to get the house bearable by the time the Mrs came home, so I turned the heat back on about a week ago. But hearing the oil burner prompted a trip out to the GW Saturday afternoon.

To my surprise, the clean-out access panels that I installed last year came off fairly easily. Next time I will design that differently, but for now they worked the way they were supposed to. Strange as it may seem, I have a poker that works very well for cleaning out between the tubes of the HX. As anyone that has used this style hydronic unit knows the tubes at the back were much worse that the ones at the top. In any event, about three hours from start to finish, and she was clean.

Being an impatient guy, I didn't take the time to fill the beast the 'correct way' choosing instead to simply fill through the overflow reservoir. Results in a temp gauge reading which exceeds 260 and lots of burping.

So we started burning on Oct 22 this year, as opposed to Oct 31 last year. Calling for snow Thursday, and 20's overnight. Here we go!!

Jimbo

Glad to see you are on-line for the season Jimbo. No oil for me since October 1. Hope to not burn any. But I have a feeling my wife is going to want to go Christmas shopping for an overnight. Might have to burn a few gallons then. Oh well. How do you like that boiler?

Jimbo,

Do you have any pictures of your magic hx cleaning poker?

Thanks, Steve

Hi Guy's I am burning again as of 5pm. Winterized the boat last weekend and now we are waiting on 6 to 10" of wet snow. What the hell!?!?!?!?!?!! Hope everybody had a great summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.