The Shrinkage Problem (no, not the Seinfeld epsode*...)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnapCracklePop

Feeling the Heat
Sep 29, 2010
Southwestern Penna
So Paul Bunyan cuts, splits and stacks a cord of firewood. A year later, he sells it on Craig's List, but now it no longer measures 4x4x8 because of shrinkage.

Is he obligated to add more wood NOW in order to make it a real, dictionary cord of seasoned firewood?

If I'm Paul, I look at this one way. If I'm the buyer (which I am), I see it another.

What do you say?

Nancy

*George Costanza, after swimming in cold water, is seen naked by a woman...

LMAO Seinfeld. Dont know about the law,some states have them,others dont.But I do know that a cord (128 cubic feet in volume) can contain anywhere from 85 to 110 cubic feet of wood because of air spaces,shrinkage & how tightly its stacked.

"I was in the pool!" :lol:

I was just thinking about this the other day since my stacks have shrunk some. If I was to sell any I would add to it to make it right.

Since most sellers sell green firewood, I'd say that measuring firewood green is the normal way to measure, and that a shrunken, seasoned pile of wood that was a full cord green is still a full cord.

HUGE Seinfeld fan here so I was drawn to this thread! :) I was just stacking my wood today and trying to figure out how much I've been getting. I get my wood from the same guy the last 5 years or so, I trust him but I want to make sure I'm getting what I'm paying for. Most of the wood is cut to 16"-18" lengths so I figured 3 stacks 4' high by 8' long I have a cord, right? That's roughly a 4'x4'x8' which is 128 CF. I didn't get much of it stacked today but I'll have a better idea tomorrow when I get a cord stacked. I bought four cords this year, last year I bought 3 and had to buy another cord towards the end of the winter.

dylskee said:
HUGE Seinfeld fan here so I was drawn to this thread! :) I was just stacking my wood today and trying to figure out how much I've been getting. I get my wood from the same guy the last 5 years or so, I trust him but I want to make sure I'm getting what I'm paying for. Most of the wood is cut to 16"-18" lengths so I figured 3 stacks 4' high by 8' long I have a cord, right? That's roughly a 4'x4'x8' which is 128 CF. I didn't get much of it stacked today but I'll have a better idea tomorrow when I get a cord stacked. I bought four cords this year, last year I bought 3 and had to buy another cord towards the end of the winter.
love seinfield. also. i like the one where jerrys looking at the apt. and it has a fireplace, and they say where does one get wood from in nyc. ahh ya get a wood guy. haha. classic show.

When I buy I am looking for 4*4*8 stacked
Green or seasoned ...
Just figured that's why seasoned cost more... Its supposed to be ready to burn and more wood than if green
When I have sold wood I always make sure its stacked in my trailer so I have a accurate measurement.. I usually measure out in the 130s .. whether green or seasoned

iceman said:
Green or seasoned ...
Just figured that's why seasoned cost more... Its supposed to be ready to burn and more wood than if green
When I have sold wood I always make sure its stacked in my trailer so I have a accurate measurement.. I usually measure out in the 130s .. whether green or seasoned

+1 How could you ever prove what the wood stack looked like before drying?

Ray

iceman said:
Green or seasoned ...

+2 seasoned costs more for a reason.

128 cu ft is the same no matter what is in there. Yes, as wood dries, it shrinks so if one wants to sell by the cord, he needs to buck more than a cord to allow for that shrinkage. I've stated many times about stacking our wood 4 1/2' high but always ends up 4' or less. That is a lot of shrinkage but no big deal to top it off when selling. Most sellers seem to be reluctant to give extra.

I'd rather error on the large side and have a customer happy than to try to get it really close and say that is it. I even include kindling after the cord or whatever has been loaded. I well recall one last winter when I delivered some wood to a fellow who I thought was not home. He came out as I was unloading and helped. Naturally I told him that if it measured less than he though it should that I would make it right by him. When done, then I opened the trunk of the car and gave him a large amount of kindling. His eyes got really big and then he asked how much more for the kindling. "No charge sir."

ecocavalier02 said:
dylskee said:
love seinfield. also. i like the one where jerrys looking at the apt. and it has a fireplace, and they say where does one get wood from in nyc. ahh ya get a wood guy. haha. classic show.

Do you tip a wood guy?

Tip only when someone goes above and beyond the call of duty. Especially those folks who call when they are out of wood and need it now. They should tip for sure.

Backwoods Savage said:
Tip only when someone goes above and beyond the call of duty. Especially those folks who call when they are out of wood and need it now. They should tip for sure.

That was in the Seinfeld show too, they were arguing on whether you should tip a wood guy or not :lol:

weatherguy said:
Backwoods Savage said:

That was in the Seinfeld show too, they were arguing on whether you should tip a wood guy or not :lol:
i love it. that was a great epsiode..

I've never watched Seinfeld. But then, I rarely watch any tv. Well, I did watch the Super Bowl. That is the last time our tv was on.

Backwoods Savage said:
I've never watched Seinfeld. But then, I rarely watch any tv. Well, I did watch the Super Bowl. That is the last time our tv was on.

I gotta ask.. What do you do once the sun goes down with no TV.. Do you read, play cards, play on the internet or watch the fire? I enjoy Jeopardy, the News, American Pickers, Antiques Road Show, Survival shows etc. and of course I love this forum too.. Obviously I enjoy a nice fire and with a good view I am looking forward to seeing the secondaries on the new stove..

Ray

I have a very nice wife and yes, we do read quite a bit at night. Usually done with the Internet by dark but sometimes you'll find me playing chess or something like that. I also like to do leatherwork.

Backwoods Savage said:
I have a very nice wife and yes, we do read quite a bit at night. Usually done with the Internet by dark but sometimes you'll find me playing chess or something like that. I also like to do leatherwork.

Interesting, what do you mean by leatherwork? Do you have any pics?

Probably have a couple around here. I'll have to load some into photobucket and then will post a couple for you.

Here's one I was playing around with. It ended up being a knife case for my wife. I did color it more, this was only partially done.
KnifeCase-3.jpg

KnifeCase-6.jpg

A camera case.
Cameracase-4.jpg

Just a little practice leather.
Cougar.jpg

A gift.
Plaque.jpg

Another practice piece. I think I was doing some teaching here but don't remember for sure.
Practice-2.jpg

This just gives you a hint.

Dennis that is pretty cool. I remember in school doing leather stamping. Mine came out nothing like that though.

Very nice Dennis! You have a good eye for art!! Thanx for the pics!

Ray

rdust said:
"I was in the pool!" :lol:

It SHRINKS?....... LIKE A FRIGHTENED TURTLE! :lol:

Backwoods Savage said:

WoW! I have seen you say this before, Dennis. I would FREAK THE HELL OUT! I have 2 flatscreens- a 42"plasma in the LR (by the stove), and a 55" LCD in the den....and need to get another 42" for the bedroom (the old 27" tube TV just isnt cutting it anymore).

I think its great that you and Judy find other things to do besides stare at the 'boob tube' all day - BUT - I think there is TONS of programming on now that you would enjoy thoroughly. The History channel - Discovery channel - National Geographic channel, just to name a few. I'm a HUGE spots guy (Yankees, Jets, Islanders) - so for me - having the TV on is like breathing - its an involauntary reflex. But my son and I spend lots of quality time together watching History and discussing events - current and past. If youre ever on Long Island - we gotta have a cold one and watch a little History Channel. ;-P

One other thing to consider if we did enjoy tv is that we do not have cable nor can we get it. We would not consider a dish either because we would fear a large outlay of cash for something we did not like. On top of that, we have the old television and after they switched to HD, we now get one channel. Crazy, but it doesn't bother us too much. The wife did used to like the nature shows but now sticks to books. Also, we had 2 sons and they too went without television most of the time. I think they were better without it too.

I was thinking about this tonight as I went to the town hall meeting and back. I saw 2 places that had televisions going in their garage! Wow. I can hardly imagine having that noise while trying to do something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.