The splitting begins

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
We've had amazing weather lately and enough snow melted so that I began splitting wood yesterday. I only split for about 45 minutes to an hour but at least I got started. (Our splitting pile is much smaller than last year.)

But first, I went for a bike ride. I only have been out riding 2 days now and now I'll probably wait a bit more because it is supposed to be wet. We got rain last night, which melted more snow.

How amazing has our weather been? On March 5 we had our first day of 40 degree temperatures. On March 8 we had our first 50 degree temperatures. On March 11 we hit an amazing 66 degrees!!! Now the weather is changing so we are probably about back to reality. No doubt more snow and freezing temperatures will come. We have plenty of wood though so no worry.

I can't wait to get my bicycle out! Finally the snow has melted enough that I think I can get the shed doors open. We had our first thunderstorm of the year last night!

Pics or it didn't happen. ;-)

I did think about taking the camera and then got busy and forgot to put it on the atv. I'll take some pictures later. Promise.

quads said:
I can't wait to get my bicycle out! Finally the snow has melted enough that I think I can get the shed doors open. We had our first thunderstorm of the year last night!

No thunder here yet. Thunder in March means a dry summer! I hope not.

Not sure what bike you ride quads, but here is what mine looks like.

giro26.gif

Dennis, I am jealous of the two things you are already doing: riding and splitting. Drs. put a kibosh on my riding about 4 years ago. They are afraid of a head injury w/ unstoppable internal bleeding. This morning I checked my splitting area and it still has about 8" of snow. I can work with that but I will have to pull the splitter through 12" to 18" of snow to get there. Can't do that. If we receive the forecasted rain and warmish weather this weekend I should be able to split next week. :coolsmile: I would expect most of us are pretty anxious to get outside and prepare next year's (year 2015 in your case) wood supply. Best, John_M

Edit: Darn it, every time you guys mention photos I feel a strong urge to purchase a dgital camera. Maybe next year.

John, the digital cameras are fantastic. No more running film to the store and having to wait, then go back. You finally see some of those pictures you took a couple months ago. I've had 2 now and the one I have now is fantastic. It even takes better video than our old video cameras did and it is small. I'm making a case for it now. Maybe I'll post a picture of it when finished, but I work slow.

I hope the warm air hits out there. We had about 8 or 9 straight days of just fantastic weather. Naturally having the sun shine is really nice and we've had lots. It is gone now though.

I had to pull the splitter through a little snow and a little mud. The snow is just in spots now though so it isn't too bad.

Man, all the cool kids get neat stuff.

Here's my bike . . . I'm still hoping to save up enough money to get a basket for the front . . .

Attachments

• Banana%20Seat%20Bike%20Purple%20400.jpg
    Banana%20Seat%20Bike%20Purple%20400.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 274
firefighterjake said:

Here's my bike . . . I'm still hoping to save up enough money to get a basket for the front . . .

needs tassels!

Backwoods Savage said:
quads said:

giro26.gif

Dennis, somehow I picture both yourself and Quads getting out on a bike like this one instead:

Attachments

• harley-davidson_el-1000_1940.jpg
    harley-davidson_el-1000_1940.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 305
smokinjay said:
firefighterjake said:

needs tassels!

That's also on my "wish list" . . . but with a basket I'll be able to ride out to the woodlot with the chainsaw in the front. ;)

Backwoods Savage said:
quads said:

My bikes aren't very fancy! Both from Walmart. The single speed cruiser is the one I ride around home and I have a three-speed cruiser that I ride when I go to the Elroy-Sparta Trail.

firefighterjake said:

Ha ha! Speaking of baskets, my trail bike has a basket on the front and the back!

Battenkiller said:
Backwoods Savage said:
quads said:

Dennis, somehow I picture both yourself and Quads getting out on a bike like this one instead:
The past 10 years or so is the first time in my life since childhood that I haven't owned a motorcycle.

no tassels :red:

Attachments

• 100_0112.jpg
    100_0112.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 251
I am very suprised at how fast it had gotten nice here in PA. after how bad it was-last weekend was terrific, so I got out and thought "even if I do a little splitting it'll put me ahead of the game". Well, I did more than a little, and I'm glad because there won't be any splitting this weekend-only dodging raindrops!

Status
Not open for further replies.