The spring sale... that wasn't?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BT ENT LLC said:
briansol said:
Still no signs of the spring sales around here.

BT actually RAISED the price of oakies by $5 to 240 now. I would have bought at 235, but I'm waiting to see what else they have for sale. Header still says some at 215-225. Still no other pricees listed on the website. Mid april has come, and it's a few days shy of going.....

Maybe on july 4th we can turn our stoves off and see a spring sale. lol
First I would like to wish everyone a Happy Easter. We had to move our start up to a later date because we still do not have all of our brands in stock to were we can start. The prices still stand at 215.00 to 230.00 on many of our brands. I must say that it is not easy for us retailers to get the best price and supply to the consumer as we wish.

Thanks for the update.

Can you list what you have in stock ready to go?

mostly interested in potomacs, cubex, and oakies

The local TSC around here (Quaketown, Pa) has Lignetics for 209/ton and Fehls in Reading Pa has Hamer's for 220/ton. I got 3 of each stocked up for next year. So the spring sales look pretty good here. I think there are a lot less people burning down here.

IHATEPROPANE said:
Is Maine Woods going to be running to types like the folks at Geneva?

MWP is going to offer there normal blend and a 100% softwood pellet for next season.

Geneva will have the Maine Choice blend and a Super Premium hardwood.

Both mills have added log chippers and hammer mills to there process. This would ensure them a steady source of fiber!

BT ENT LLC said:
First I would like to wish everyone a Happy Easter. We had to move our start up to a later date because we still do not have all of our brands in stock to were we can start. The prices still stand at 215.00 to 230.00 on many of our brands. I must say that it is not easy for us retailers to get the best price and supply to the consumer as we wish.

Brian, Happy Easter to you and the family.

forya said:
The local TSC around here (Quaketown, Pa) has Lignetics for 209/ton and Fehls in Reading Pa has Hamer's for 220/ton. I got 3 of each stocked up for next year. So the spring sales look pretty good here. I think there are a lot less people burning down here.

Funny how the regional pricing works. Your lucky to be in the cheapier area. I can't touch the liggies here for less than $250. Hamers were $235 but have already climbed close to $250. And the supply is listed as limited. Sounds like a good deal for you. You'll be glad you stuffed the stash come fall with higher prices looming.

Happy Easter everyone!

Thanks BT for your update, nice to see that your 215-230 still stands just a bit longer to wait, and I'm sure the wait will be worth it as BT sells some great brands of pellets!

IHATEPROPANE said:
Thanks J. It is good to hear that both are adding to their brand. I like them both and the more options the better!

Looks like we will have to wait until fall on the MWP softies. But I will do a review once I find some. Still hoping to score Geneva before season ends, But time is running out on that!

Well here on Long Island prices have jumped through the roof! Spring buy? No such thing as of yet atleast. Okies going for over $320 per ton and Barefoots hit $300 per ton. Cheaper brands are hovering around $265.00 and up....Can't imagine what the future holds!

Spurias in ashburnham ma has new englands for $229 per ton there not my fav so I got 2 ton of eagle valley and 2 ton of okanagans for $265 a ton.not the best price but im not gonna take a chance with prices this year.

j-takeman said:
IHATEPROPANE said:
Thanks J. It is good to hear that both are adding to their brand. I like them both and the more options the better!

Looks like we will have to wait until fall on the MWP softies. But I will do a review once I find some. Still hoping to score Geneva before season ends, But time is running out on that!

I would sure like to see a Maine softwood pellet.

I hate to say it but I called this three weeks ago. I think the lowest pellet and stove prices are right now.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
I hate to say it but I called this three weeks ago. I think the lowest pellet and stove prices are right now.

Eric

And I agreed with ya. Crude is holdin above $110 PB. (actually tryin to decide where its gonna go today, sittin at $112 pre market)
Wont come down until the PTB decided that this round of fleecing is over.

*disclaimer* I sell pellets and pellet stoves!well, here's a thread.......I think I said it on April 1st...... https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/73403/#858979

I guess folks think maybe it was an April fools' joke or something...

FACT is, Harman wholesale cost goes up on May 1st. FACT is, most of my supplers of pellets have already announced price increases by now, for May 1st and beyond.

There might be hope for price wars, but I most seriously doubt seeing that happen before cold weather hits, if at all, and most likely any price war you'll see will be like this year, with the big boxes clearing out winter inventory space for spring space for manure, potted plants, and wheelbarrows.

So, once again, in my opinion, the prices you see today, and this week, will most likely be the cheapest prices you will see this year. You can "pish-posh" this as being from a guy who sells the stuff and is trying to sensationalize the market to my own profit, but, this is truly the wya I see it. I know some of you folks plan ahead, have excess stock now, and can probably wait until mid to late winter to buy, if at all, but the great majority of people cannot do this.

"The cynics are right nine times out of ten" HL Mencken

j-takeman said:
There has been a few of us preaching buy now or pay later!

Well I shut my stove off yesterday and did a minor cleaning this morning (I expect it to be back on again before May arrives so I didn't tear it down and pack it up for the summer).

On the preaching and buying, I just looked back at all of the teeth gnashing that went on in 2008 when I decided to go with a pellet burner.

I suspect that even more people will be looking at other means of heating their homes.

j-takeman said:
There has been a few of us preaching buy now or pay later!
I'm not so sure things will be as bad as they were in 2008. One difference is that pellets are still available in multiple outlets. That did not happen in 2008. As for discounts, who ever saw the prices coming that the box stores had this past season. Sort of came right out of the blue. Had a remarkable effect of keeping most of the other players from jacking their retail prices up as we got deeper into the burning season. I do agree that the best prices are most likely the ones you are seeing right now. With fuel going up and up, and no predictable end to the unrest in the middle east, that will be all the excuses needed to keep pellet prices anything but bargain priced. What will help is the larger number of pellet burners, more stoves available, and more and better pellet production.
"buy now or pay later" I would even add, if you have the space, buy now and pay later. If you can pay it off in 6 months, what interest you pay should be minimal and less than what you will pay late summer or early fall. The stress of the "pellet hunt" is not something I look forward to.

Bought in Feb, then price went up.

Locked in on 8 tons of Cubex at $235.
Now I just have to lug them home...

In my area in 2008 the pellet shortage hit about June 1st when people started getting their oil contracts for the next winter.

mascoma said:
Locked in on 8 tons of Cubex at $235.
Now I just have to lug them home...

In my area in 2008 the pellet shortage hit about June 1st when people started getting their oil contracts for the next winter.
Nice score on the 8 tons!!!
If you buy any more then you may cause a shortage all by yourself. :)
I remember that as well in 2008 and it was right around June when chit hit the fan. I am all set with my 6.6 tons and I am enjoying watching the price sit $20 a ton higher than when I bought 5 weeks ago. Its gunna be a hot summer, but make sure we prepare for the winter coming.

I don't expect to see $3.xx gasoline anymore so the price of pellets will continue to climb, just for the fuel shipping increases alone.

I grabbed a couple of tons of Somersets in Feb. from Lowes @ $209 and I don't expect to see prices like that again. Barefoots (great pellet) is having problems getting saw dust and will be in short supply. Stay away from Maine Choice, but DO consider Maine Wood Products (MWP) which is a good pellet. I am just building a new shed where I will house 6+ tons of pellets and will be adding a couple tons of MWP from my local guy, shortly.

Buy now. No regrets.

I have a pal in Jersey that said his locals aren't even offering spring deals. They have already raised them $10 to $20/ton. When he went to get a ton it was last season stock.

I guess we should be thankful for what-ever we can get!

IHATEPROPANE said:
I am pro Maine's Choice and would buy them again in a second.
They were the hottest burning pellet I have tried. Ash was average.

I haven't had a chance to burn any since they started chipping whole logs. I also wanted to get their sister pellet but they haven't made it to my local dealers yet. The maine choice will be one of the lower priced deals near me. I really wanted to try them just in case!

Looks like I am out of testing time till fall. Stove hasn't run for days with near 80º temps. Seems we went from winter to summer here!

My only complaint with Maine's Choice, and its minor, is there are some
Really small pellets. My auger has no problem with them and us probably
Why they burn hotter than the others. A little more hits the pot each turn.
I have not found any major difference in burn time. Although I do not time it I fill up the same time
Everyday and give it the ol eyeball test.

I just got flier from my stove dealer for spring buy, locked in 5 tons of Green Teams for $200 a ton. They were $185 a ton when I got the stove mid December. so being afraid they will be even higher by fall, went ahead and did it on the last day of the sale!!

Status
Not open for further replies.