The stove is spoiling us! Also Rainier owners, a question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pr0vidence

Nov 11, 2007
south central CT
Greetings all!

So here in CT we are having a bit of a cold snap that won't give up. It's barely been topping 40 during the day, and getting into the low 20s at night. As such, we have our Rainier cooking near 24/7 and it's been great, the house averages in the high 60s, low 70s and we have not burned a drop of oil. The oil man came the other day for our automatic delivery, I am sure he was grumbling angrily to himself as he dropped the bill into our mailbox reading "35 gallons, tank already FULL". Take THAT oil man! no longer are we under your thumb!

Prior to the stove, in times like this, we would set the thermostat to 58 degrees, and shiver through the winter months paying $500-600 per month in oil. At night, I load up the stove for the night, get it going, cut down the air, and check the thermostat, which will read probably in the low 70s. In the morning, I'll get out of bed and say "man, it's COLD in this house!", go to check to thermostat only to find it's 67! In the past, 67 would be balmy T-shirt weather! This stove is spoiling us.

I am a new burner and have been learning more every day about how the stove reacts in different situations. Just last night I learned that I don't have to give it full air when I reload it if there's a sufficient bed of coals and the temp still reads around 300 degrees. With that method the heat it cranks out is unbelievable, the thermostat read 85 last night when I went to bed, which is a little warm for my comfort, I damn near cracked a window!

Rainier owners, last night I stuffed the stove chock full and got it blazing, cut down the air and let her fly. 15 minutes or so later as I lay in bed I heard the stove pinging an awful lot more than normal. I got up to check it and make sure all was good, the temp read well over 600 degrees! Is that a comfortable temp for this stove? What temp do you usually aim for? This is the first time I've gotten it up so high. I choked the air down to nothing and let the fire go low for 15 or 20 minutes until it cooled to about 550, then gave it some more air again. I was a little uncomfortable with the temp up that high. What are your experiences?

I think your fine, I shoot for around 600 on my Rainier. At that temp, the air is barely open, and I get a good secondary burn.

I just put a full liner in this fall, and never got near 600 before I installed it. I was a little nervous the first time it got that high but so far it gets as high as 650 then backs down to 600 and cruises there for a few hours. I have a 2 story colonial with the stove at the far end of the house. The family room were the stove is gets into the high 70's and the rest of the house in the high 60's. Spend most nights in shorts and a T-shirt near the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.