The Stove-less Wonder !!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WriteNoob

Burning Hunk
Nov 30, 2013
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Just sitting here in my long johns and sweater, relatively comfortable in my 67* living room, and thinking ...

12:15 p.m., and it's -7* F, outside. Could've gotten a stove of some kind in, this year, but chose to wait, and put the money elsewhere. Save-up for the one that was just a little nicer (One Stove to Rule Them All !!!) than what I could afford, right now. Temp's supposed to drop all day, bottoming out at -31* at 5 a.m. tomorrow. Wind chills as low as -60*. With natural gas forced air and this old house, I'll be thinking of wood heat a lot, over the next few days. <>

Thought some of you might like to think of me, the stove-less wonder, and smile, just a bit (remember, gloating is unbecoming), the next time you're wishing you'd waited for that bigger/better/fancier stove, while sitting in the warmth of the one you did get. ;)

:) Throw another split in, in the name of he-who-waited, and stay warm, everyone! :)

Heh heh heh! I won't gloat because I waited about a year also. I think I was on hearth.com around a year before I bought my Oslo - but in that year I learned a lot so I didn't take too many mis-steps when I finally got the stove. Don't miss hanging out in the Woodshed part of hearth.com - good info over there also.

One thing I'd like to say would be "Get off your butt and start cutting/splitting/stacking wood now" - but don't do that in the next few days you will freeze your **** off in this weather.

Okay, I will shamelessly toss on a split or two in your name. :)

PS I AM going to run my oil furnace a bit tonight even though my Oslo (in the living room) is doing okay because those below zero temps tonight and tomorrow might still hit the water pipes in our basement.

I read about a family that loves Christmas so much the filled their house with Christmas trees in every room. 52,000 lights total. The husband reported that the house is staying a cozy 85F icon_hot.gif during this cold snap. Electric bill to follow...

Last edited:
Just sitting here in my long johns and sweater, relatively comfortable in my 67* living room, and thinking ...

12:15 p.m., and it's -7* F, outside. Could've gotten a stove of some kind in, this year, but chose to wait, and put the money elsewhere. Save-up for the one that was just a little nicer (One Stove to Rule Them All !!!) than what I could afford, right now. Temp's supposed to drop all day, bottoming out at -31* at 5 a.m. tomorrow. Wind chills as low as -60*. With natural gas forced air and this old house, I'll be thinking of wood heat a lot, over the next few days. <>

Thought some of you might like to think of me, the stove-less wonder, and smile, just a bit (remember, gloating is unbecoming), the next time you're wishing you'd waited for that bigger/better/fancier stove, while sitting in the warmth of the one you did get. ;)

:) Throw another split in, in the name of he-who-waited, and stay warm, everyone! :)
Ah..

Just leave your puter on this site. There is a enough hot air moving around here at times that it could heat your whole house!
Joking,you're doing the right thing..get it right the first time. Cheers!

Probably for the best that you decided to wait to purchase the stove that you really want.
Sorry, I won't be thinking of you while I am enjoying the warmth from my stove :). I will be thinking of how warm it is in my house, and how I was freezing last year.

Reactions: WriteNoob
Heh heh heh! I won't gloat because I waited about a year also. I think I was on hearth.com around a year before I bought my Oslo - but in that year I learned a lot so I didn't take too many mis-steps when I finally got the stove. Don't miss hanging out in the Woodshed part of hearth.com - good info over there also.

One thing I'd like to say would be "Get off your butt and start cutting/splitting/stacking wood now" - but don't do that in the next few days you will freeze your **** off in this weather.

Okay, I will shamelessly toss on a split or two in your name. :)

PS I AM going to run my oil furnace a bit tonight even though my Oslo (in the living room) is doing okay because those below zero temps tonight and tomorrow might still hit the water pipes in our basement.

Love the Woodshed, and the Gear, and ...
Well, you get the idea. I'll have plenty of wood (check my signature), for next year. Just bought a new saw, and wanted to try it out, but my buddy whom I'm cutting with, and on whose land said wood currently stands, tells me I'm nuts, and that he's not budging 'til it's warmer (But Dude, it's a brand new/shiny saw!).

Looking forward to a really nice install, this fall.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Probably for the best that you decided to wait to purchase the stove that you really want.
Sorry, I won't be thinking of you while I am enjoying the warmth from my stove :). I will be thinking of how warm it is in my house, and how I was freezing last year.

Oh, that's just mean! :)

Good one. Make sure you post which one you decide on, it's good fodder ;lol.

Reactions: WriteNoob
I read about a family that love Christmas so much the filled their house with Christmas trees in every room. 52,000 lights total. The husband reported that the house is staying a cozy 85F View attachment 122941 during this cold snap. Electric bill to follow...

Xmas lights! That's it! Think I've even got enough extension cords to wear a few wraps out to the mailbox! :eek:

My partner at work was actually thinking of dropping a few hundred on one of those fancy new heated jackets that use your cordless tool batteries, before I reminded him that the lithium battery wouldn't last two minutes, in this cold.

Good one. Make sure you post which one you decide on, it's good fodder ;lol.

Burning 100% Scots Pine, for at least the next few years. Longer if I can keep getting it delivered, for free. So, I'm almost certain on a BK King Ultra. Wouldn't mind a non-cat, but the wife knows dials and numbers, not pull this one out about this far, then slide that one over to there. She doesn't like new things. Plus I just think it's the best way to handle softwoods, to get the most out of them. Monster box, with good fine tuning, and an automatic 'stat to even out the highs and lows. Guy had one when I was a kid, too, and I've always liked them. His place stayed nice and warm, which I'm feeling would be a good thing, right about now.

I don't know if I would have suffered. :p

Your profile pic looks familiar WriteNoob.

That's odd. Don't seem to recognize yours, although the ears look a bit familiar. ;lol

Sorry, just couldn't resist. ;em

Seriously though, I've only got a few pics of myself, and use them for profile pics all over the place. Never been out, your way, though. Get that whole, "You look just like a guy I knew.", thing a lot.

In the mean time:

Awesome. I'll put it up on the flat screen and sit in front of it, with a couple of electric heaters aimed at myself. Maybe ask the wife if she wants to cuddle up by the fire, with me. ;)

Don't confuse the newby - that's an open fireplace, no secondaries, no glass.

:)

Ssshhhh !!
Sit tin' here with the Eden Pure and TV, listn'n to the logs crackle, thinkin' log cabins. You're crampin' the dream !!:cool:

Reactions: Beer Belly
should have scooped an old cheap stove off clist to get by, during the warm months they go for just about scrap prices

should have scooped an old cheap stove off clist to get by, during the warm months they go for just about scrap prices
Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.