The things I think about in the summer (besides gathering wood)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Something I always wanted to build is an outdoor oven/cooker, maybe this fall..........

Kenny said:
Given how handy many on this forum are, anyone ever thought of building your own oven?

Something like:

http://www.gulland.ca/homenergy/brickoven.htm

Interesting that he used plain old bricks and morter for this. The oven's I've seen so far all use firebrick, and at 1.04/brick that ends up being quite a lot of $$ for brick. Also he didn't add much additional mass in the form of concrete.

I was considering a first pass for an oven by doing a precast refractory cement oven roof that I would cast myself, and place that on top of brick walls (i know a place I think I can get a pile of free used brick). I'd "seal" the sides with sand and place another layer of brick on the outside just for looks.

If this all worked and LOML feels like it's a keeper, I'd then build a real one with her blessing.

Harley said:
Don't let the BI folks catch you with that cancer causing device %-P
Ever wonder if the BI folks ever grill a steak?

Warren, you're starting to scare me. First the Osburn, calypso, Maytag connection and now this......

I've been looking at outdoor wood ovens and outdoor fireplaces for a while now and would love to build one to compliment the new patio we poured almost two years ago. I would really love to find a good design that I can build myself, which would incorporate an outdoor fireplace with the oven.

Maybe when I get one built I'll invite the folks from BI and PETA over for a BBQ! That should make for interesting dinner conversation.....

I know when I get around to it I will use some of the thousand or so vintage cobblestones that the wife got when she was running big yellow equipment in Boston.
Oh to know the history those old pieces of granite have seen

[quote author="MrGriz" date="1180661760"]Maybe when I get one built I'll invite the folks from BI and PETA over for a BBQ!/quote]

PETA.... People Eating Tasty Animals? That group, or the other one, Griz???

Harley said:
MrGriz said:
Maybe when I get one built I'll invite the folks from BI and PETA over for a BBQ!/quote]

Harley I'll send you some of my experimental pellet fuel made from old truck tires, waste motor oil and used anti-freeze. Makes for a great natural carmelized glaze..........

MrGriz said:
Warren, you're starting to scare me. First the Osburn, calypso, Maytag connection and now this......

I've been looking at outdoor wood ovens and outdoor fireplaces for a while now and would love to build one to compliment the new patio we poured almost two years ago. I would really love to find a good design that I can build myself, which would incorporate an outdoor fireplace with the oven.

Maybe when I get one built I'll invite the folks from BI and PETA over for a BBQ! That should make for interesting dinner conversation.....

Jeez!!! You have a Cat? How many kids? You don't work on Linux do you?

Harley said:
MrGriz said:
Maybe when I get one built I'll invite the folks from BI and PETA over for a BBQ!/quote]

Yep, that's the one!

Warren said:
MrGriz said:

Ok Warren, this is getting too funny...

Two cats
One Daughter (5 yrs old)
No on the Linux

Warren said:
Kenny said:
Given how handy many on this forum are, anyone ever thought of building your own oven?

Something like:

http://www.gulland.ca/homenergy/brickoven.htm

Interesting that he used plain old bricks and morter for this. The oven's I've seen so far all use firebrick, and at 1.04/brick that ends up being quite a lot of $$ for brick. Also he didn't add much additional mass in the form of concrete.

I was considering a first pass for an oven by doing a precast refractory cement oven roof that I would cast myself, and place that on top of brick walls (i know a place I think I can get a pile of free used brick). I'd "seal" the sides with sand and place another layer of brick on the outside just for looks.

If this all worked and LOML feels like it's a keeper, I'd then build a real one with her blessing.

You can build one without any purchased materials. Just have to like playing in the mud.:)

It worked for many thousands of years.
http://www.handprintpress.com/troubleshootingnew.htm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A1170974
http://www.paleotechnics.com/photo albums/HORNOphotoalbum.html

I tried playing with a bunch of bricks made out of soil and hay, then "fired the heck out of them" in my makeshift back yard burn pit. They were clearly "fired" but turned to dust if touched. Not very durable at all.

The one link where the guy used standard bricks seemed odd to me in that I'd expect that they would not hold up over the long run.

Has anyone come across a good looking design that incorporates an open fireplace with the oven?

Warren said:
I tried playing with a bunch of bricks made out of soil and hay, then "fired the heck out of them" in my makeshift back yard burn pit. They were clearly "fired" but turned to dust if touched. Not very durable at all.

The one link where the guy used standard bricks seemed odd to me in that I'd expect that they would not hold up over the long run.

Must be the local dirt, around here if you dig down about 2 feet you find a red clay that works just great for this kind of thing. PIA for just about anything else one may want to do.

MrGriz said:
Warren said:
MrGriz said:

Ok Warren, this is getting too funny...

Two cats
One Daughter (5 yrs old)
No on the Linux

Whew... that was getting bad. I do have the 1 daughter(12 though) 1 cat. You really have to start messing with Linux then. :)

MrGriz said:
Has anyone come across a good looking design that incorporates an open fireplace with the oven?

Lots of them seem to have a wood storage area below the oven, seems it would not be that much of a change to convert that into a fireplace.
http://heatkit.com/html/bakeoven.htm

A brick oven forum.
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/
Seems they won't let you see the pics until you join and make a post.

Thanks for the links Andre.

I have seen many designs with the wood storage area and was thinking that such an area off to the side could be pretty easily turned into a fireplace. I think some of the masonary heaters I've seen have ovens incorporated into them and was thinking more along the lines of one fire, both for ambiance and heat for the oven. I'll have to put a pencil to it and really think things through.

I'm going to have to join the forum you pointed out and check things out. It looks like there is a lot of good information over there.

Those links Andre provided are great! I've been hanging out over there and really enjoying the reading. You guys should really go check out the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.