The things you don't know about your stove. Mine takes 4 cats.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
I bought my stove used and put it into service for the 2003 winter. for 2004 I replaced the cats and rebuilt it with new gasketing, etc. This year I ordered a whole new damper assembly. And while discussinng my needs with customer service, I discovered thaht my stove takes 4 catalysts. 2@1inch and 2@2inch. I have been running it with 1 set of the stove combustor's 1 inch cats since winter of 2004. well I guess I'll buy some new cats and see what it can do.

Jeez, that would have me cat-a-tonic! :p What were they thinking?

I don't think you can get all that many BTU's our of a kitty cat. Mice are pretty good though.

I put one cat in my stove once - but it was not running. Charlie was pissed at me from that day until the day he expired (many decades later, it seemed).
He actually climbed out through the flue collar (it was a display stove in the shop), and then he moved in with our neighbors and avoided us forever.

when i brought m stove home i had all the paperwork inside waiting the inspection the cat was looking in the window so i left it open and went to work, when i got home she was slepping in the stove :) now that i'v had a few fires she just sleeps on the couch all day and night. before i got the stove my house would be 60 degrees to save on heat, i think she likes it better now.

Status
Not open for further replies.