The tornado that missed us, the semi that didn't miss the train, and my blue friends have returned f

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
Some of you may have heard about the tornado that went through Cottonville, Arkdale, Preston, and Strongs Prairie, WI. That's about 15 miles north of us. We watched the storms as they came and went, and listened to it play out on the police scanner. Very suspenseful, to say the least. It's amazing that not only was nobody killed, but nobody was even injured! Here are a couple pictures of the line of storms as they left our area:
IMG_0080%20(1024x768).jpg

IMG_0076%20(768x1024).jpg

A couple miles down the road from my house, a truck driver says he didn't see the train coming. The lead engine struck the front of his truck and by the time the train was able to stop, the truck was at the middle of the train. The intersection is unobstructed, and the tracks cross a side road within 100 feet after turning off a county highway so speed wasn't a factor. Strange that it could happen there. Texting while driving maybe? Fortunately no one was injured:
IMG_2944%20(1024x576).jpg

IMG_2948%20(1024x576).jpg

And a sure sign that summer is fast approaching, ma and pa bluebird have returned. I was cutting wood right next to their house the other day, so we got to watch each other while we worked:
IMG_0873%20(1024x768).jpg

Thanks for posting quads. Those clouds do look a bit unsettled. The bird looks good though and much better than the truck.

4 Feet forward and that semi would have had a cab-ectimy. Those usually have bad health consequences. That man was very lucky.

Yep, those storms were pretty wild to watch roll in. We got a breakup just as it approached my area and the storm went North and South of us.

Both shots are too close for comfort. That trucker may lose his rig or job, but he is one lucky fellow.

The bluebirds otoh are quite nice. Nice close shot. I didn't realize they were that calm around people.

BeGreen said:
I didn't realize they were that calm around people.

The're not - I am convinced that Quads is not "people". Heck, he darn near pets the dear.

We could feed the deer out of our hands. I was talking with my neighbor last weekend and there were a pair of deer munching on her lawn about 20 ft away. "She" thinks they are cute.

Well BeGreen, we think that too.

Quads, great pictures. Soooo......how much wood have you scrounged out of that storm? And deer are cool, have 2 groups of "My furry bi***es" that find me non-threatening, just sorta hang out. Odd for Muleys, normally pretty skittish.

Jags said:
BeGreen said:
I didn't realize they were that calm around people.

The're not - I am convinced that Quads is not "people". Heck, he darn near pets the dear.
Ha! You're right! I prefer to be out in the woods and away from people, and I think the critters know that.

Beetle-Kill said:
Quads, great pictures. Soooo......how much wood have you scrounged out of that storm? And deer are cool, have 2 groups of "My furry bi***es" that find me non-threatening, just sorta hang out. Odd for Muleys, normally pretty skittish.
I didn't have one single branch break off. No wind at all during the storms. A few minutes of heavy rain and it was all done here.

I haven't even been near the tornado area yet. The friends I have up there are 'swamped with helpers', but once the initial excitement wears off, the volunteers get bored and go home, that's when the real work begins and I will go up and give them a hand, if they need my help.

Great pic of bluebird! I'm sire those storms caused for a long night.

Status
Not open for further replies.