The trouble with "helpfull" family

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weeks001

Feb 24, 2014
Alabama
I crashed my motorcycle about two months ago...broke my shoulder pretty severely. Had surgery, and now I'm looking at 6 months of rehab. Bottom line, I'm one handed this winter. My in-laws, who treat me better than I deserve, have been a huge help.
This weekend they brought over a trailer of remnant wood from a pallet manufacturer. Great wood mostly poplar and oak. I've gotten wood there before and its great stuff.
Here's where things went south. my father-in-law let the guys dump the scrapes into his trailer. That saved them from loading, but they didn't get to pick what went into the load. When they showed up at my house I was thrilled to see the wood! On closer inspection though, there were very few pieces longer than 8 inches. In fact most of the wood was 8"x8"x8" and 8"x8"x1" pieces.
Again, full of help, they insisted on helping me stack the wood. Has anyone ever stacked a trailer load of 8" squares and 8" disks with the help of their mother in-law and father in-law? They got a kick at how particular I was about making everything "just right".

Please don't misunderstand this post. I am very grateful for the help. I just never knew I would prefer to stack alone!
Does anyone have any ideas how to stack these small cuts?

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Not real sure that I would be inclined to stack them, unless you did it like pic #2. That will be a bunch of surface contact from piece to piece. If there is any moisture left it may cause problems. Maybe consider bins made from pallets or some such thing?

Reactions: prezes13
Not real sure that I would be inclined to stack them, unless you did it like pic #2. That will be a bunch of surface contact from piece to piece. If there is any moisture left it may cause problems. Maybe consider bins made from pallets or some such thing?

agree, years ago I had sawmill ends and it's impossible to stack without flat/flat contact which is like puttiing splts back together.

I'd leave it in piles.

It's nice they want to help but........Having family do any kind of "Real Work" in my experience is usually more work for me than the help is worth. I hope you have a fast recovery from your injuries.

I crashed my motorcycle about two months ago...broke my shoulder pretty severely. Had surgery, and now I'm looking at 6 months of rehab. Bottom line, I'm one handed this winter. My in-laws, who treat me better than I deserve, have been a huge help.
This weekend they brought over a trailer of remnant wood from a pallet manufacturer. Great wood mostly poplar and oak. I've gotten wood there before and its great stuff.
Here's where things went south. my father-in-law let the guys dump the scrapes into his trailer. That saved them from loading, but they didn't get to pick what went into the load. When they showed up at my house I was thrilled to see the wood! On closer inspection though, there were very few pieces longer than 8 inches. In fact most of the wood was 8"x8"x8" and 8"x8"x1" pieces.
Again, full of help, they insisted on helping me stack the wood. Has anyone ever stacked a trailer load of 8" squares and 8" disks with the help of their mother in-law and father in-law? They got a kick at how particular I was about making everything "just right".

Please don't misunderstand this post. I am very grateful for the help. I just never knew I would prefer to stack alone!
Does anyone have any ideas how to stack these small cuts?

View attachment 141844 View attachment 141845 View attachment 141846
I also have lots of small left-overs from furniture manufacturing. I go to the packy and pick up empty wine/beer boxes, bring them home and fill them up. They stack great and don't weigh too much. And the puzzle of putting in the pieces in a somewhat organized manner to fill the boxes neatly is soothing.....and can be done one-handed!!!

Good luck with the shoulder.

A big chicken wire cage.

I would do bins. Actually that's exactly what I am trying to do there is a place that sells 2 cubic yards for $40. So since a cord of "seasoned" wood goes for $200 or more I can get over two cords of really seasoned wood for the same price.

Big cardboard gaylords. Local plastic extruder has them, I'm sure any factory that brings in bulk materials or small parts would have some. Just dump the pieces in. You can move the boxes around with tractor forks if you have them.

I'd just burn them out of a heap.

How do you pack these to burn in the Woodstove properly?

PS: I've survived a few bike crashes with broken bones...called it quits
The fourth time around...don't bounce as good as I used to. Shiny side up and all!

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.