The Ultimate Chain Saw Suite

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
~50cc NE346XP
~60cc = Stihl 361
~80cc = Makita 7901

Those three saws would be optimal. I used to run mixed brands of saws, but no longer (except my old MAC and an Olympyk). I flipped to all Stihl so I can swap bars, chains and parts. All Stihl saws start the same, same levers, same method. Most Huskies and Dolmars have different lever systems. Also Dolkitas are just too hard to find in the PNW. Put a 25 in. bar on that 361 though... ;)

Ok, I'll bite finally. MS 200T 14", 026 pro 16" 3/8 chain, 036 pro 18" 3/8, 046 20" 3/8, 066 24" & 32" 3/8, 088 mag 36" .404 chain, cause it's cool, & 090 contra for the gtg's. I'm really working toward owing this collection someday. Then I'll start on the other brands. A C

Reactions: DexterDay
Just added another to my suite. While limbing a freshly felled lodgepole, my arms suggested that I might want to find something lighter than my 20lb., 60cc Husqvarna 61. After extensive online research I determined that there are no good limbing saws available new. Even the Huskies and Stihls get lots of complaints for hard starting and poorly designed features such as chain tensioners and chokes. I called my local saw shop to ask for recommendations. To my surprise, he had just put a new carb on a very low mileage Stihl 009L (40cc) with 12 in. bar., new chain and a full tank of gas! Very little wear, still has the original paint on the bar. Price, $175, about what I would have paid for a new saw with problems. Now Heidi can do the limbing while I do the bucking. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.