The ultimate scrounge and diff between old wood and modern wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sstanis

Oct 20, 2006
First off, I would like to thank the person from this board who guided me to FreeCycle (cannot remember his name). Posted an ad on there awhile back, and had a few people who offered wood. One posting I went to the lady tried giving me a "jesus sermon" as I was loading the wood, so I got out of there quickly. There another who answered for a friend, who had wood. Didn't really pay it any mind, already had purchased a cord and had 3/4 ton of biobricks. So, went there today, house was way back in the Holla, long tight winding roads. Went to the area and found approx 8 to 9 coards of unsplit rounds, each about 3ft wide and 20 inches long of Shagbark hickory and white oak, mixed with some beech logs. Loaded up what I could in back and front seats of my junky car. Got home, split with decent amt of work with maul. Loaded a few nice chunks on minimal coals into my hearthsone heritage, not alot of 2nd burn, but 6 hrs later, with no stirring my temp gauge is still reading 400 degrees, and there is still about 1/2 wood there with a few flames but bright orange glow. This stuff burns like coal, throwing off a constant amt of heat. 6hrs later and only went through 1/2 the wood. Mind you, 400 degrees on soapstone is considered a good burn. Looked at the wood later, noticed there was literally no spacing betwen the rings. So cut off a sliver and looked under microscope. I estimated the white oak to be 250 yrs old. Tight spacing-- a furniture makers dream. Never with newer hardwoods, say less than 80 yrs old could I ever this this long a burn. Understand that shading allows for slow growth and tight ring formation. Wish I knew about this wood pile along time ago. Sure doesn't make alot of nice fancy flames, but perfect for long overnight burns and day burns when I am at work. Gotta love this stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.