The Ultimate Scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tfdchief

Minister of Fire
Nov 24, 2009
Tuscola, IL
myplace.frontier.com
OK, my son and I cut together. We are both way ahead and running out of room to stack and store our wood (both live in town) and thought we were done with fire wood until next winter. BUT, my son's next door neighbor announces he is having a tree service take down the big White Ash in his back yard....do we want the wood? Couldn't pass that up...all we have to do is chuck it over the chain link fence and split and stack it. Well, half of it will come to my house. Our wives think we are "certifiable" but this is just way to easy. ;-P

Attachments

• Ash Scrounge.jpg
    Ash Scrounge.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 689
It would have been a sin not to take it! Nice size pile too.

Great score. The wives will feel differently when some of that wonderful wood is warming the house. :coolsmile: As long as you have the space,its good to bring home as much as you possibly can.Never know what the next 2-3 yrs may bring what with getting sick,injured,the weather or working so much overtime that processing is out of the question....

Oh! Baby!

What did they charge him to drop that sucker?

I want to see the pics of you throwing the big ones over the fence.

WOW
I know there is no such thing as "easy wood" but that is as close as it gets.
Great score.

Thistle said:
Great score. The wives will feel differently when some of that wonderful wood is warming the house. :coolsmile: As long as you have the space,its good to bring home as much as you possibly can.Never know what the next 2-3 yrs may bring what with getting sick,injured,the weather or working so much overtime that processing is out of the question....
Thistle, they just like to razz us a little. They both love it!
BrotherBart said:
Oh! Baby!

What did they charge him to drop that sucker?
BB, We haven't ask, but I bet it was cheaper if they didn't have to haul the rounds away.
SolarAndWood said:
Solar, our log splitter (in my son's back yard) is going around the front and into their back yard and chuck those babies down to size! ;-)

bogydave said:
WOW
I know there is no such thing as "easy wood" but that is as close as it gets.
Great score.
Bogydave, That's what we said. Easiest wood I ever got in all my years of burning!

It doesn't matter how much wood you've got, you cannot turn free fuel down.

Might be the last pile of free wood you ever see ;-)

tfdchief said:
all we have to do is chuck it over the chain link fence and split and stack it

Too much like work. Take down a section of the fence and roll the rounds over on a few planks.

Very nice! It can't get much better than that

Since you are running out of space, I would offer my wood stove insert as a good place to stack it. Since the pile is too big, we could store it in my wood pile. Since I live about 1000 miles away, I figured you would never come back to get it so I would just have to burn it for you.

Nice score. I have a neighbor cutting a few smaller trees down, but they are big enough to burn. He doesn't want them, so I'll have to take them.

mayhem said:
tfdchief said:

Too much like work. Take down a section of the fence and roll the rounds over on a few planks.

+1 Just what I was thinking. Looks like the chain is on ya'lls side of the fence so just unhook the bottom edge from 2-3 posts and roll the rounds under the fence.

Ed

mayhem said:
tfdchief said:

I don't want to make it to easy and spoil myself ;-P

Great score chief.

As long as you can get the splitter to the wood, why monkey with the fence?

Backwoods Savage said:

As usual, the master lets us all flounder about, then comes along with the simple solution that we all missed ;-)

woodchip said:
Backwoods Savage said:

As usual, the master lets us all flounder about, then comes along with the simple solution that we all missed ;-)
Yes, and I can't believe he didn't mention that we will HAVE TO USE IT VERTICAL to bust up those big ones. :cheese:

Simply an awesome score!

I scored 3 cords of ash a while back from my neighbor that I thought was the best of the best. I had to haul it a few hundred feet, yours is much better! :lol:

SolarAndWood said:
Solar, Here's the pic. Sorry we couldn't quite throw this one over the fence :snake:

Attachments

• big wood edit.jpg
    big wood edit.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 217
Brilliant picture.

Just wondering how long that one round would last on a fire once split......... :)

tfdchief said:
SolarAndWood said:
Solar, Here's the pic. Sorry we couldn't quite throw this one over the fence :snake:

That's a mighty big round, but what amazes me is that jacket you're wearing....it's 87F right now down here!!! (I dread seeing what the summer's going to be like!).

Excellent score there, really nice one!
Ed

But Ed, you live in a different world. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.