The Verdict - NOT ELM! It's got to be ash of some sort

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
Got home, took a big old swing with the fiskars expecting it to bounce - only to feel the pleasure of that fine cutting instrument slice thru the rounds with ease.

Seriously - easiest wood I've split. So here are some pics of the splits closer up for confirmation:

The dark spots were not as dark this evening. Perhaps it was some sort of sap? Not all the splits had them. The smaller split is one that had brown in it and the larger split , one that was just white.

So what does one say now? Wood type?

Back to celebrating this score and planning to get all the remaining wood!

Attachments

• ash 002.jpg
    ash 002.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 530
  • wood id 001.jpg
    wood id 001.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 563
  • wood id 002.jpg
    wood id 002.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 535
That is from the same tree??

The bark on the first pic screams Ash, but the bark and split on the last says some sort of pine. You gotz yourself a frankentree.

Absolutely - same tree.

I am so relieved its not ELM.

My experience with elm was enough that I avoid it.

I think I'll be able to just hand split all of it.

Tree identification is tough being done over the computer. I stink at it.

A-cord-ingLEE said:
If'n that ain't ash..................................... !
Yew dew the math!

Whatcha gonna eat???

If that is Ash --- What is this????

Attachments

• SDC10131.jpg
    SDC10131.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 350
Jags said:
cptoneleg said:

Ash!

Daay bote be Ash.

Ok they don" even look kin to me I quess them others is da NJ clan of Ash's

cptoneleg said:
I quess them others is da NJ clan of Ash's

Would that make them....a hard ash??

Heck don't know dont have any on my place cut that off someweres else someone told me it was ash, oly have about 1/2 cord be ready next yr. heard around here its good wood.

cptoneleg said:
Heck don't know dont have any on my place cut that off someweres else someone told me it was ash, oly have about 1/2 cord be ready next yr. heard around here its good wood.
You have White Ash, not sure what that other stuff is.

cptoneleg said:

Your ash appears to be seasoned - whatever I have is green split, so they are gonna look different. Ash is good wood. I hope mine is ash.

Dennis mentioned green ash and reading up on it - that might be it. Still don't have an ID, but atleast it'll split and burn! I know it's not elm and that is a bonus.

basswidow said:
cptoneleg said:

Your ash appears to be seasoned - whatever I have is green split, so they are gonna look different. Ash is good wood. I hope mine is ash.

Dennis mentioned green ash and reading up on it - that might be it. Still don't have an ID, but atleast it'll split and burn! I know it's not elm and that is a bonus.
It doesnt look like Green Ash to me but that could just be the pictures.

oldspark said:
basswidow said:
cptoneleg said:

It doesnt look like Green Ash to me but that could just be the pictures.

No big deal I was comparing Bark, and the abilityof folks on this site for ID later to see who wins the prize.

That wood is 3months split stacked, the bark is the same today asit was 3 mo. ago.

yup that's white ash. You can tell by the deepness of the 'x's in the bark. Although in my past experience, once the wood sits dead a while, it's "dusty" and stringy inside. Yours looks to be a 'formerly healthy' tree before it was cut.
Enjoy the "kings firewood" LOL. It burns the best of all green woods, but only middle of the pack once seasoned. But it seasons fast

Basswindow Camera needs help lol

basswidow said:
Got home, took a big old swing with the fiskars expecting it to bounce - only to feel the pleasure of that fine cutting instrument slice thru the rounds with ease.

Seriously - easiest wood I've split. So here are some pics of the splits closer up for confirmation:

The dark spots were not as dark this evening. Perhaps it was some sort of sap? Not all the splits had them. The smaller split is one that had brown in it and the larger split , one that was just white.

So what does one say now? Wood type?

Back to celebrating this score and planning to get all the remaining wood!

It looks like Red Hickory (Carya ovalis) also called Pignut Hickory.

Or it may be Mockernut Hickory (Carya tomentosa).

The other stuff looks like Ash as others have mentioned.

J.P.

I am gonna hit the site this weekend so I will post some pics of the leaf and tree itself. My camera is a nikon cool pics. It usually takes good pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.