The warm winter continues...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
We are now 600 heating degree days short of normal. I hate to complain, but this is getting silly.

Matt

With the passing of each warm day, I'm getting further ahead on my wood supply for future seasons. :cheese:

With insurance..reg..fixing my trailer and a few parts on the sleds I have over 700 bucks into them..and have not put a mile on them.
But I have saved some wood and have been plenty warm..but bored!

Woody Stover said:
With the passing of each warm day, I'm getting further ahead on my wood supply for future seasons. :cheese:

+1... but I would really like to stretch the legs of my new Progress. A cold snap just for a week or so would be ideal. :)

EatenByLimestone said:
We are now 600 heating degree days short of normal. I hate to complain, but this is getting silly.

Matt

What is the total number of heating degree days in a winter? What percentage of normal have we experienced? I am still just starting my second cord of firewood but I have been burning whenever conditions allow all winter.

With the warmer weather and lack of snow I am still out cutting almost everyday. Last winter I was done in early november and couldn't start again until late march.
I'm way ahead on the lots I'm clearing out. Of course I'm not burning much wood or making much room for the new stuff... and the few firewood customers I have are not calling for restock either.... It is awesome to be working outside in what is usually the dreary part of winter.

At this point I'd be happy if it stayed warm the next two months. Have no interest in anymore colder weather or snow, ready for the warm up now.

I'll be happy if I only use 3 cords of wood. I was only able to get some kiln dried wood at the late date I moved here. Looks like the 3 cords will do me for this winter. Gee, I used 4 cords last winter in PA. But next year and the two after that are supposed to be bears according the Joe Bastardi of WeatherBell.

It is getting ridiculous here in Cincinnati. I don't mind the lack of cold. I've been burning shoulder season wood almost all season and am about out. I would hate to use the good stuff while it is 40 degrees outside.

On top of that I have several snags I want to take down but since it is raining every three days I can't even get anything back to them to haul the rounds out, even pushing a wheelbarrow loaded down leaves a huge trough in the yard. I think this weekend I'll just c/s/s in the woods and get to them after monsoon season is over (which was sometime in July last year).

Last year we had almost double the normal rainfall (and crushed the 140 year old record) and I know we have to be above normal for January. We've seen maybe 1" of snow all season. I can do without the snow but 2 weeks below freezing would actually be welcome at this point.

I'm not gong to complain. I live in the city of Albany with four cars in the family. Only have off street parking for two. I'm glad to not have to deal with snow on the streets. :)

Don't mind the mild Winter except for the mud. Have been waiting for the ground to freeze so I can cut without tearing up so much. The cold will come.

onion said:
On top of that I have several snags I want to take down but since it is raining every three days I can't even get anything back to them to haul the rounds out, even pushing a wheelbarrow loaded down leaves a huge trough in the yard.

+1. Can't drive the pickup to the woodpile. Even a handtruck, lightly loaded, cuts deep ruts in the yard. This January is like May.

We are ridiculously warmer than average here as well. I've barely broken into the second cord. Gas bill was less than half the previous year as well. We have many days where solar gain alone keeps the house comfortable till sunset.

A couple more winters like this and I will be 4 or 5 years ahead without even trying.

Wood Duck said:
What is the total number of heating degree days in a winter? What percentage of normal have we experienced? I am still just starting my second cord of firewood but I have been burning whenever conditions allow all winter.

Every area is different. There is a great free site http://www.degreedays.net - you can put in your address and it will calculate degree days based on whatever parameters you want and going back a couple years. You can compare this Jan vs. last Jan for instance.

If you want statistical averages I think the national weather service publishes them... google search might be able to find it.

I agree.

This winter is a joke!

>:-( , >:-( , :mad:
BWBWBWBWBWBWBW

Jealousy :)
High today was + 3°f

No bugs :) :lol:

I think I open these threads because it feels so good when I stop.

.TODAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH FLURRIES. HIGHS 15 BELOW TO 25 BELOW ZERO. LIGHT WINDS.
.TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH FLURRIES. LOWS 30 TO 40 BELOW. LIGHT WINDS.
.FRIDAY...CLOUDS AND FLURRIES DECREASING. PATCHY ICE FOG. HIGHS 30 BELOW TO 35 BELOW ZERO. LIGHT WINDS.
.FRIDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. PATCHY ICE FOG. LOWS 35 BELOW TO 45 BELOW ZERO. LIGHT WINDS.
.SATURDAY...MOSTLY CLEAR. PATCHY ICE FOG. HIGHS 30 BELOW TO 40 BELOW ZERO. LIGHT WINDS.
.SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. PATCHY ICE FOG. LOWS 35 TO 45 BELOW.

That is all.

I'm getting tired of all the rain too. The ground here is saturated, and the dogs do nothing but track mud in the house, even when we wipe their feet, legs and bellies. I never thought my sump pump would get a workout like this in January!

-SF

A warm front is passing through here. 52 now at 9:45 pm headed for 60 by four am. Then it starts back down during the day. Truly weird.

BrotherBart said:
A warm front is passing through here. 52 now at 9:45 pm headed for 60 by four am. Then it starts back down during the day. Truly weird.

34 here at noon 55 outside now

yeah this winter sux. i can't stand all the mud at work and in my yard. way to warm for my liking. guess after last year mother natures giving a brake to all the people that hated winter last year.

My football team lost in the first round of the playoffs, that day was below zero here.
Now it's -11°f
More days below zero this winter than I can remember.
This has been a strange winter for sure.

Attachments

• 100_7145.jpg
    100_7145.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 304
when I went to bed last nite at 11:38
it was 54 degrees outside......................
weird

Raining today... they keep changing the forecast, now its predicted to hit 57F this afternoon.

YUCK.

Status
Not open for further replies.