The Wide Wonderful World of Thimbles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SOH

Sep 24, 2015
Michigan
Hello All!
I've enjoyed reading through several of your threads. I'm new to this site, and am in dire need of some advice. I bought an old farmhouse and would like to get a wood stove (looking for a good used one) up and running.
I will need to go through a combustible (2x4) wall into an exterior block chimney (16x16), which has a 6x6 clay liner. The chimney stands right against the house and has been used in the past. It has a cleanout at the base outside. Someone built and used a "thimble" of sorts with some not-so-fancy masonry work that I'm not comfortable using. My plan is to drop down a couple of feet (the current one is quite close to the ceiling) and make a new hole through the combustible wall and into the chimney and liner (and frame around the hole as needed for clearances). I would then seal off the upper thimble void and install a stainless steel liner. Enter the thimble -- I have no idea what to use! I've seen "insulated" thimbles from $30 to $400. Any advice or resources on what I might need for this install would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
SOH
Another consideration: Do I need to move the water and sewer lines that run in a wall cavity adjacent to the thimble? This is turning into one monster project .........

Attachments

• IMG_0320.jpg
    IMG_0320.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 109
No problem. Ask questions as you make progress. The goal here is a safe installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.