The Winner is Lime4x4 The Penguin Award for most dangerous install so far on the new forum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/681/

Merry Christmas You just received the Penguin award for absolutely the most dangerous install witnessed on the new forum. There are so many code violations, I do not know where to start. I would store your tools out in the shed, as you would hate to loose them since you will need them soon to do the fire restoration job. Do you have any idea how combustible the paper faced insulation is ? It has tar composition. I know you were testing it out upstairs then pushing as hot as you can over 500 degrees???? Be careful that is one dangerous setup and you are living on borrowed time.

well that took u long enough....lol it wasn't like that for long..The stove calls for 4 inches of clearance from the back of the hopper i have 7 i also installed drywall over the insulation since that pic was taken..And in all honesty the back of the stove barley hit 180 degrees..hell all the power cords actually touch the back of the stove cause of the design of the control box and if looked at my other post about the stove i commented that i did cover it up

I had three post I deleted trying to put it as nice as I could . You have to admit the picture says it all, not all that endearing
I knew the forum members were waiting for me to blow off. So I made them wait a bit longer. Anyways how are things going.
I'm with you, if I paid over 3g's, I would expect more. I also have to agree, that you will have to make adjustments to get working the way you expected, especially with what appears a very strong draft. I also suggest you put a small box fan near the floor moving the cooler air towards the stove If that does not work raise it up and aim it towards the room pushing warn air

well there ain't nothing i can do about the draft issue.i did try installing a manual dampner that didn't work to well..harman final word on the subject was it's making 500 degrees of heat the stove is working as designed end of discussion.But yet they can't answer me why when the stove is set to there specs it can barley burn 2 lbs of coal an hour.Thats with the feed rate barley moving 1 dot which by the way is a low burn according to them so set at there specs this stove will never ever make 85K output btu that they claim.I'm still trying different settings with the restrictor plate and the baro dampner..The problem with coal is it takes 1 to 2 hours to c if the adjustments had a positve or negative effect.in all honesty i will probably NEVER buy another harman.the only good thing is the dealer has all of sudden decided to work with me and not against me..i guess when u tell them your gonna return the stove and dispute any charges on my cc from them plus told them i was gonna go to the local tv people and tell them how there selling harman stoves that are being mis represented.plus the harman rep i talked to the other day said he was done with it.It's up to the selling dealer to do what is necc to resolve this issue.As craig said granted some of the problems might be with the house but harmans own accord this stove currently will not produce 85K of heat as advertised.i just found out that the dealer will also be carrying leisure line coal stoves.And i asked about returning this stove and getting a leisure line hyfire II 144K output btu twin burner coal stoker.Which can be tied into a hot air distrubution system since it comes with twin 265 cfm blowers was told sure but were still charging u 400 restocking fee..there really being a stickler about that for some reason

Unbelievable that someone would test the draft ABOVE the baro damper! By the way, not generally a good idea to use both a hand damper and a baro damper in the same assembly, since the hand damper will interfere with the baro damper. I am a Harman dealer, and have sold several Magnums....given, here in MA coal isnt a huge seller, so there are fewer coal stoves. The things are built like tanks. The only problem with them is they are difficult to set up initially, especially if its a self-install.....making a proper draft reading is critical to setting the restictor plate...tough to do without a meter, which most folks dont own. In my opinion, the worst thing abt the Magnum is the complexity of fan timing, etc. Also, when folks clean them, they move the restrictor plate, the stove doesnt burn well, and it necessitates a service call for someone to go out and take a meter reading...a quick job, but its not free...usually takes alot more time to get there than actually do the job....awkward to charge $75.00 for a setting.....good luck with the stove, Lime....personally, I am a bit leery of your installation, given the picture....I am hoping its a self-install and the dealer didnt install like that....wow. When I see something like that, I immediately think of all the stuff he/she might have done that I CANT see.....It sounds to me like youve made a heck of an attempt to get this thing running right, and are still dismayed. When I get customers like that, i cut my losses, give them a FULL refund, except for fuel they used, take the stove back, check it over, if its good, resell it as used, or fix it and resell it as used. I did have one Harman pellet stove I once sent back to Harman...it had "issues". Ive been doing this a long time, and have learned that once a customer decides he or she hates the product, nothing you can do will change their minds. The next thing you get is calls from the owner saying stuff like "my toilet wont flush.....Its that dang stove.....come look at it....." etc...as a dealer, you HAVE to warrantee the product.....cant just ignore the customer. I will say tho, and im putting on my helmet here to get ready for the bashing, that in the VERY rare occurrence that I have to take a stove back (3 times in 12 years), and I refund the customers money, and take the loss, I also refuse to sell them another stove. Some folks are just not able to understand the proper maintenance, installation, and care a stove requires. You can tell them till you are blue in the face, but they wont clean the stoves, fill the stoves...etc. Probably 95% of the calls we get are due to lack of maintenance or just kinda simple issues like no fuel....yep....ive got alot of those calls....my stove wont run....get over here and look at it.....uh....Sir....did you realize that you are out of pellets? WOW...im really sorry folks...a long post...Lime...good luck sir.

Harry Back, any thoughts on the leisure line family of stoves? Ever run into them? I checked it out online, due to Lime's post, and am pretty excited about the Hyfire line. I'm thinking of getting one with the hot water coil, to help with hot water, and hot water radiators, and keeping oil furnace for emergencies.

Of course, this project is a year or two away, due to cost, but hey, a man's gotta dream of a new furnace.

<grin>

Well, take your time and research them....sounds like youve plenty of time for looking around. Cant say as I have any experience with either of those......basically buy from a reputable dealer, once who can service where you live, onsite if need be, a fair price, and seems to know something. Your "gut " instinct is often best!

Status
Not open for further replies.