The Wonderful Fiskars

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CarbonNeutral

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2009
Nashoba Valley(ish), MA
In honor of the true magnificence of this axe, I have a new avatar to celebrate its greatness... ;)

After destroying one of Home Depots 'indestructible' axes I finally found a store that carried the Fiskars axe.

Fantastic axe. Huge difference.

I use the Fiskars as much as my neighbor's splitter and absolutely love it. Not too heavy but very effective.

I was going to buy me one of those Fiskars, but about a week ago I was in Lowes and they had a True Temper (Fiskars copy) super splitter with a 36" handle for $32, so I bought it. It goes through knarley Oak like a knife through butter.

Todd said:
I was going to buy me one of those Fiskars, but about a week ago I was in Lowes and they had a True Temper (Fiskars copy) super splitter with a 36" handle for $32, so I bought it. It goes through knarley Oak like a knife through butter.

Does it have the carbon handle that wraps around the head?

Bootlegger said:
Todd said:

Nope, but that short 28" Fiskars handle kind a scares me.

I sent Fiskars an email asking why their handle was so short. I just got a reply back saying that they had received many comments about that but at this time the 28" handle was as long as they had. They did say that all those comments were forwarded to the engineers in Finland. I would like one but I am 6"4" and my wife is 6'0" so I think it would be a waste of money. Hopefully they will make a longer one soon. The longer handle would add a lot more velocity which is the principle that the Fiskars works off of.

Bspring said:
I sent Fiskars an email asking why their handle was so short. I just got a reply back saying that they had received many comments about that but at this time the 28" handle was as long as they had. They did say that all those comments were forwarded to the engineers in Finland. I would like one but I am 6"4" and my wife is 6'0" so I think it would be a waste of money. Hopefully they will make a longer one soon. The longer handle would add a lot more velocity which is the principle that the Fiskars works off of.

I'm 6'1". No issues so far. The handle length wasn't the worry, I was concerned with how light it was. I thought there could be an issue with a lack of force behind it. I was wrong.

Todd said:

Tsk tsk tsk. . .

You only think it's a Fiskars knock off because you haven't swung a Fiskars.

Todd said:
Bootlegger said:
Todd said:

Why?

Bspring said:

6'2" her. Zero issues. In fact, I can't imagine why height would make any difference in this.

i own 2 of them . i keep one handy when using the log splitter, helps to seperate stringy pieces that didnt quite sepetate. i like how light and sharp they are. pete

Bigg_Redd said:
BrowningBAR said:
After destroying one of Home Depots 'indestructible' axes I finally found a store that carried the Fiskars axe.

Fantastic axe. Huge difference.

Which Fiskars didja git?

Pro Splitting Axe-28 inch

Any experience with the Super Splitting Axe-28 inch? If, is it worth getting in addition to the one I have?

I have Fiskars brand super splitting axe. 28 inch handle. I love it. It does really well on some woods, but others I still use the monster maul. I am a big guy, about 6'2 and over 300 pounds. I have had some problems with the short handle, but I just have to remember to take a step closer before swinging. One time I did not do that right after switching from my maul....that was a - lets say - sore mistake. I have not made that mistake again. I would recommend the Fiskars to anyone. I would like it if they did have a little longer handle though. Just my 2 cents!!!!

Bigg_Redd said:
Todd said:
Bootlegger said:
Todd said:

Why?

I'll tell ya why. I am only 5'11'', but I have had that ultra sharp little blade come at each of my shins on different ocasions at very high velocity. I am done with that thing till they come out with a 36" handle. I might put it in my truck for an emergency axe. I already made my own version by grinding the heck out of a six pound maul, but I am sure that if fiskers came out with a 4.1 pounder with a 36" handle I would be first in line to get one.

Dune said:
Bigg_Redd said:
Todd said:
Bootlegger said:
Todd said:

Why?

I'll tell ya why. I am only 5'11'', but I have had that ultra sharp little blade come at each of my shins on different ocasions at very high velocity. I am done with that thing till they come out with a 36" handle. I might put it in my truck for an emergency axe. I already made my own version by grinding the heck out of a six pound maul, but I am sure that if fiskers came out with a 4.1 pounder with a 36" handle I would be first in line to get one.

I've heard many stories like yours and I just don't want to take that chance.

Dune said:
Bigg_Redd said:
Todd said:
Bootlegger said:
Todd said:

Why?

Hell, I've almost hit my shins several times with the old 36" axe that I have.

Todd said:

I too bought one of the True Temper splitting axes--I hated it! It rarely split on the first whack and then it got stuck something awful.....I took it back and I'm glad to be rid of it!!

NP

Bspring said:

Don't let the short handle fool you! I'm 6'3", and I too was skeptical about the shorter handle, but I just LOVE my Super Pro splitting axe!!! I use about a 20" block for splitting, and truth be told if there were a longer handled version for say and extra $10, I'd pass and just keep the one I have. The head speed that I get out of the Fiskars Super Pro is just amazing!!!

NO, it doesn't split everything on the first whack, but very, very few rounds need more than two! I just split 3+ cords of mixed hardwood over the past two weeks and I A) never reached for my old 8# maul once, and B) never got the Fiskars stuck where more than a gentle rocking action was required to free it.

Hands down, this is the BEST splitting tool I've ever used, by a factor of about 3!!!

NP

I'm 5' 9" and 150 lbs....not your average lumberjack. Do I get the Pro Splitter (2.25 lbs) or the Super Pro (4.0 lbs). I definitely need a maul of some type and reviews of this thing seem very good.

Thanks.

Apiator said:
I'm 5' 9" and 150 lbs....not your average lumberjack. Do I get the Pro Splitter (2.25 lbs) or the Super Pro (4.0 lbs). I definitely need a maul of some type and reviews of this thing seem very good.

Thanks.

I'm 6'1" 185lbs. I have the Pro Splitter. I can really whip that SOB around. I will probably pick up the Super Pro over the winter just to see what the extra weight gives me. I probably would have bought the Super Pro first, but not many stores carry Fiskars axes by me. So I bought what was available.

Apiator said:

Thanks.

Definitely go with the super. I have the pro, and while it is amazing, it should be bigger.

Dune said:
Bigg_Redd said:
Todd said:
Bootlegger said:
Todd said:

Why?

Sounds like operator error

Apiator said:

Thanks.

Never used the Pro, but I've split 10 cord or so in the last year with the Super.

Love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.