The Wonderful Fiskars

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bigg_Redd said:
Apiator said:
I'm 5' 9" and 150 lbs....not your average lumberjack. Do I get the Pro Splitter (2.25 lbs) or the Super Pro (4.0 lbs). I definitely need a maul of some type and reviews of this thing seem very good.

Thanks.

Never used the Pro, but I've split 10 cord or so in the last year with the Super.

Love it.

I just realized I had a gift certificate to Amazon AND that Amazon is carrying more Fiskar products. Just picked up the Super Pro and the sharpener. It will be here Wednesday.

Yep, that's where I got mine, $46 bucks and free 2 day shipping with Amazon Prime.

Has to be the best $46 I ever spent!

NP

BrowningBAR said:
Bigg_Redd said:
Apiator said:
I'm 5' 9" and 150 lbs....not your average lumberjack. Do I get the Pro Splitter (2.25 lbs) or the Super Pro (4.0 lbs). I definitely need a maul of some type and reviews of this thing seem very good.

Thanks.

Never used the Pro, but I've split 10 cord or so in the last year with the Super.

Love it.

I just realized I had a gift certificate to Amazon AND that Amazon is carrying more Fiskar products. Just picked up the Super Pro and the sharpener. It will be here Wednesday.

I know of the Pro, and the Super, but what is the Super Pro?

Bigg_Redd said:
BrowningBAR said:
Bigg_Redd said:
Apiator said:

Thanks.

Love it.

I know of the Pro, and the Super, but what is the Super Pro?

Just a miss-type on my part. I bought the Super Splitting Axe-28 inch

Bigg_Redd said:
Dune said:
Bigg_Redd said:
Todd said:
Bootlegger said:
Todd" date="1253477938 said:
I was going to buy me one of those Fiskars, but about a week ago I was in Lowes and they had a True Temper (Fiskars copy) super splitter with a 36" handle for $32, so I bought it. It goes through knarley Oak like a knife through butter.

Does it have the carbon handle that wraps around the head?

Nope, but that short 28" Fiskars handle kind a scares me.

Why?

I'll tell ya why. I am only 5'11'', but I have had that ultra sharp little blade come at each of my shins on different ocasions at very high velocity. I am done with that thing till they come out with a 36" handle. I might put it in my truck for an emergency axe. I already made my own version by grinding the heck out of a six pound maul, but I am sure that if fiskers came out with a 4.1 pounder with a 36" handle I would be first in line to get one.

Sounds like operator error

O.K., maybe I don't know how to swing an axe, but either way, I like my shins.

Dune said:
Bigg_Redd said:
Dune said:
Bigg_Redd said:
Todd said:
Bootlegger" date="1253478180 said:
Todd" date="1253477938 said:
I was going to buy me one of those Fiskars, but about a week ago I was in Lowes and they had a True Temper (Fiskars copy) super splitter with a 36" handle for $32, so I bought it. It goes through knarley Oak like a knife through butter.

Does it have the carbon handle that wraps around the head?

Nope, but that short 28" Fiskars handle kind a scares me.

Why?

I'll tell ya why. I am only 5'11'', but I have had that ultra sharp little blade come at each of my shins on different ocasions at very high velocity. I am done with that thing till they come out with a 36" handle. I might put it in my truck for an emergency axe. I already made my own version by grinding the heck out of a six pound maul, but I am sure that if fiskers came out with a 4.1 pounder with a 36" handle I would be first in line to get one.

Sounds like operator error

O.K., maybe I don't know how to swing an axe, but either way, I like my shins.
What?! You say the handle on your Fiskars is too short? No way. There must be something wrong with your technique. I'm 7'8" tall and it's the perfect size for me:
IMG_4374.jpg

;-) ;-) ;-)

I was going to buy a log splitter before buying my Fiskars, I now have no plans for a hydraulic spliter and saved a ton of $$ plus get a great workout, It works so much better than a old style maul.

I saw the Fiskars maul in a local Sears hardware for $40.00

I have the super splitter. While I now also have a hydraulic splitter I have split many cords with super splitter. I have an 8 .lb maul that I have never picked up once since I got the super splitter.

To each his own, but I think some of the concerns about the shorter handle are overstated. There are steps that can be taken to alleviate that if needed, i.e. split on a slightly higher log than you normally would, aim for the back side of the round you are splitting, etc.

It has nothing to do with the handle length. It's all in your technique. I'm 6'3" 250lbs and can bring the SOB down with some force. Yes, if you do not first line up the tool with the round, you will certainly miss and take yourself off at the shins or knee with this; just like you can kill yourself with a chainsaw if used improperly. I personally would get the large size, but like another member posted earlier, Sears was the only retailer around me that carried Fiskars and only then did they have the 2.5lb model. Still very pleased and would never without it. Check out Youtube for some good videos of the proper use of the Fiskars. Here's a good video on just splitting basics...the first 2 minutes are the most important; if you measure out the distance as he speaks of and swing it the same way, you should never miss and hit your legs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soOJDRlRUQM&feature=related

Short handle?

Bend your knees on the downswing to ensure your handle is parallel to the ground when it hit's the round. This will generate a bit more maul speed too.

I personally like longer handles myself, but my Gransfors maul is short too, so I just adjust my swing a little.

I'm 6'2" and my little Friskars has scared me once or twice. I used to use a craftsman run of the mill fiberglass handle axe for all my splitting and swing it with all my might. I use a rotten oak round as a base many times sink the head into the rotten wood when splitting. I had a glacing blow with the Friskars and it went right past my calf with some velocity. A couple of inches over and I would have been in the emergency room. I still use that craftsman axe on tough rounds. I bury the head as far as I can and finish the job by pounding it with the sledge. I also have another craftsman maul and wedges if needed. I should mention that I need a new axe every year but it works for me. I now use less force with the Friskars and use it as a finese tool. I am lightening with straight grained red/white oak and maple. The knotty pieces still take up most of my time.

I have to agree with the earlier post. I just split on a higher surface. It doesn't come anywhere near my shins. I suppose there is a guard for that though if you're really worried about it. I think because the splitter is sharper and lighter, you may find yourself not swinging as hard and having better control.

jon

mn_jon said:
I have to agree with the earlier post. I just split on a higher surface. It doesn't come anywhere near my shins. I suppose there is a guard for that though if you're really worried about it. I think because the splitter is sharper and lighter, you may find yourself not swinging as hard and having better control.

jon
You load your rounds up after you cut the tree and haul them to a stump for splitting? I don't think that would work very well for me. I split the rounds where I cut the tree. Then I load the splits and haul them to the stack. Loading and unloading rounds seems like it would add an extra step or two.

quads said:
mn_jon said:

jon
You load your rounds up after you cut the tree and haul them to a stump for splitting? I don't think that would work very well for me. I split the rounds where I cut the tree. Then I load the splits and haul them to the stack. Loading and unloading rounds seems like it would add an extra step or two.

I only split rounds that I cannot lift into my truck. Firewooding around here is often derby-style so by not splitting I can double or triple the number of trips I make on any given day.

Bigg_Redd said:
quads said:
mn_jon said:

jon

I only split rounds that I cannot lift into my truck. Firewooding around here is often derby-style so by not splitting I can double or triple the number of trips I make on any given day.
I see. Then the majority of your splitting is done in the same spot at home, on a splitting block or stump.

Bigg_Redd said:
southbound said:
I too was a big Fiskars fan until I bought my helko Vario 2300G Heavy Splitting Axe ...

Try it you will like it..http://www.hartvilletool.com/category/1655

Without looking into it or trying one myself I will simply assert that it could not possibly work better than the Fiskars.

The longer curved handle and wider wedge shape makes for a better tool...

I own both and the fiskars never gets used anymore.....

southbound said:
I too was a big Fiskars fan until I bought my helko Vario 2300G Heavy Splitting Axe ...

Those sure are purty, but I'm still waffling about spending $45 on the Fiskars. I think I'll wait 'till I'm feeling flush to spend $75 (+ tax & shippin') on the helko.

Peace,
- Sequoia

southbound said:
Bigg_Redd said:
southbound said:

Without looking into it or trying one myself I will simply assert that it could not possibly work better than the Fiskars.

Ha ha ha ha! Oh no, not another one! You guys are seriously trying to pry open my rusty wallet. My free antique maul is starting to look more and more sad compared to all these fancy high tech thingamajigs.

Without trying one myself I will simply assert that you could not possibly pry open my rusty wallet with the Fiskars or the helicopterario.

LOL, 45 bucks. You'd think they were asking $4,500! And I thought I was a card carrying tight wad. Clearly I am young grasshopper. :lol:

LOL Ja, many wood burners are tight wads which is why they scrounge and burn wood.

southbound said:
Bigg_Redd said:
southbound said:

Nuh-uh

quads said:
southbound said:
Bigg_Redd said:
southbound said:

Ha ha ha ha! Oh no, not another one! You guys are seriously trying to pry open my rusty wallet. My free antique maul is starting to look more and more sad compared to all these fancy high tech thingamajigs.

Without trying one myself I will simply assert that you could not possibly pry open my rusty wallet with the Fiskars or the helicopterario.

Don't you OWN a Fiskars?

I guess I just find it amusing that people aren't willing to spend $45 to try out something they would very likely end up using (and from the looks of the reviews could easily sell if they didn't). Hell, I spent $45 on a bottle of Stoli 2 weeks ago. And arguably I'll get little real "use" from it. I'm tighter than Dick's hat band, but I'd still drop a whopping $45 to try something I could very well end up using repeatedly. But to each his own level of tightness! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.