The Wonderful Fiskars

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If folks want to swing a heavy-ass maul, more power to ya. I bust most rounds first shot with the Super pro. I've never compared it to anything so I can't say it works better or not, just that mine works (I'm 6-2, 240).

But I didn't post to rile up the Trads against the Fisks. I just have a suggestion for safe splitting. I use an oak chopping block with a tire fitted on the top. The round stays up there while I split it and the rubber bounces any mishits. No bending to pick up the splits. Easy on my aching back and knees.

Tha't it!! I am now convinced that any knuckle draggin maul swingers (non-Fiskars) must be like the cavemen on the Geico ads.... ;) :) Excuse me while I bandage up my shins...

These things sound so good I wonder if I can weld a few to my splitter :cheese:

Bootlegger said:
If folks want to swing a heavy-ass maul, more power to ya. I bust most rounds first shot with the Super pro. I've never compared it to anything so I can't say it works better or not, just that mine works (I'm 6-2, 240).

But I didn't post to rile up the Trads against the Fisks. I just have a suggestion for safe splitting. I use an oak chopping block with a tire fitted on the top. The round stays up there while I split it and the rubber bounces any mishits. No bending to pick up the splits. Easy on my aching back and knees.

I do the same thing. I have a bad back, so I don't like to bend over any more than I have to! This is one of the main reasons I split on a block and not the ground, plus, it saves the edge on my splitter and I think the ground absorbs too much of the force from the splitter hit.

I use a $15 pulp hook to pick up the rounds (no bending over!) and put them on the block inside the tire--it works great for me!

NP

quads said:
Sorry guys, my mind is already made up. Which also means I won't be spending money on the Fiskars sharpener being discussed in another thread, which has turned into a joke thread about cutting your shins. Wow, sure glad I won't be joining the Fiskars fanatics. Whew.

Meh

:smirk:

quads said:
Sorry guys, my mind is already made up. Which also means I won't be spending money on the Fiskars sharpener being discussed in another thread, which has turned into a joke thread about cutting your shins. Wow, sure glad I won't be joining the Fiskars fanatics. Whew.
LOL... like a regular bastard file isn't good enough for them. I bet they have a secret handshake and everything...

LLigetfa said:
quads said:
LOL... like a regular bastard file isn't good enough for them. I bet they have a secret handshake and everything...

No secret handshake, but I do hand one of the Fiskars off to my wife and say 'your turn'. And all 108lbs of her goes off and splits wood for an hour.

LLigetfa said:
I bet they do more than shake hands........................... ;-)

BrowningBAR said:
No secret handshake, but I do hand one of the Fiskars off to my wife and say 'your turn'...
If I said that to my wife, she'd split my head open with it.

LLigetfa said:
BrowningBAR said:
No secret handshake, but I do hand one of the Fiskars off to my wife and say 'your turn'...

Only if it is a lightweight Fiskars!!

heatit said:
Some of these posts are getting a little out of hand here...there should be no hard feelings about why someone will or will not try or buy the Fiskars. It's simply personal choice. That's what makes life so great! There isn't just ONE axe or ONE maul that we all are forced to buy or use. Yes, I really like my Fiskar's but it wouldn't stop me from trying another type should it get the type of reviews that the Fiskar's gets. Originally this post started out as a request on which Fiskars to buy and it seems to have turned into a heated debate on Fiskars versus the rest of the world. I personally think that if you have not tried one, own one or thinking of trying one, that this is NOT the thread for you and should simply move on and let members express their reviews and opinions of the Fiskars products so another member can make an educated choice.

Now then, lets get back to our program already in progress......

+1

I have other axes as well but I think the fiskars is a good purchase for a specific use.

Werm said:
LLigetfa said:
BrowningBAR said:

It would prolly bounce of that hard head of yours

Todd said:
Werm said:
LLigetfa said:

I don't know; if you're 6' or taller, she may not make the reach with only a 28" handle! :p
Hey! Maybe now we know why they don't come in a 36" :lol:

I just bought me a fiskars super-pro splitter.

I cannot thank you guys enough it is GREAT i freaking love this thing.

Attachments

• fiskars super-pro.jpg
    fiskars super-pro.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 288
crazy_dan said:

Ha ha! That's funny! I agree with your point now though. No wasting money on anything in between. If I ever was someday to change my choice of splitting implement, I would get one of those Power Fiskars and quit swinging my club altogether!

crazy_dan said:

WOW! So that's the spawn of cross-breeding a Fiskars Pro and a Fiskars Super. Truly outstanding example of genetic engineering that even Darwin could never have predicted. Makes sense though that it is natural evolution.

You guys suck! I went to the hardware store to pick up a ballcock for my toilet and wondered past the axes and mauls and of course the first thing that caught my eye was the orange fiskars handle. I stared at the pro for a good 5 mins contemplating my purchase. Should I get the pro or stay the course with my 8lb maul? I decided to pick it up off the rack and I couldnt believe how light it was. Still cautious about the short handle concerns i did a full extension like I was striking a log....not bad, not what im used to but not bad at all. I checked the price tag, $40, consider it sold. When I got home I grabbed a round of maple and took it over to my chopping block...swung the splitter and the round split like butter. I LOVE THIS AXE! Im just taking a break from splitting now and my arms arent that tired, my forearms should be tightening up by now if I was using the maul. I still use the maul to hammer in the wedge on the longer oak rounds I have, but for splitting its going to be the Fiskars Pro.

My arms thank everyone for their recommendations.

BucksCoBernie said:
You guys suck! I went to the hardware store to pick up a ballcock for my toilet and wondered past the axes and mauls and of course the first thing that caught my eye was the orange fiskars handle. I stared at the pro for a good 5 mins contemplating my purchase. Should I get the pro or stay the course with my 8lb maul? I decided to pick it up off the rack and I couldnt believe how light it was. Still cautious about the short handle concerns i did a full extension like I was striking a log....not bad, not what im used to but not bad at all. I checked the price tag, $40, consider it sold. When I got home I grabbed a round of maple and took it over to my chopping block...swung the splitter and the round split like butter. I LOVE THIS AXE! Im just taking a break from splitting now and my arms arent that tired, my forearms should be tightening up by now if I was using the maul. I still use the maul to hammer in the wedge on the longer oak rounds I have, but for splitting its going to be the Fiskars Pro.

My arms thank everyone for their recommendations.
That's excellent news! Wishing you many years of enjoyment with your new ax!

Nonprophet said:
quads said:
Bigg_Redd said:
I have no doubt that no one here is receiving a dime from Fiskars. I was thinking more along the lines of "misery loves company" type of thing. Many people won't admit they bought something that they don't like, so they try very hard to convince themselves and others that it's not a mistake. That's the only part about it that sends up a red flag. For people that are content with their purchase, some go out of their way what seems like an unusual amount to try to convince everybody else that they are happy with their purchase.

Umm, are you serious?? That sure is a long way to go over $45 dollar splitter..........lol

So, since it's comparable to the Fiskars splitter then I would have to say that: 1) Due to the too short non-replaceable wrapped around the head handle, and the fact that I don't drag a splitting block around with me in the woods, I am not interested in purchasing anything with a handle shorter than my maul.

Umm, you could always use one of the rounds that you just bucked up in the woods as a splitting block............

Also, yes, the head/handle are not user replaceable, perhaps that's why Fiskar's offers a LIFETIME, UNCONDITIONAL WARRANTY?? I'm only aware of maybe two or three people who have actually broken one of these, and ALL of them got FREE REPLACEMENTS from the store they bought it at--NO QUESTIONS ASKED! If you're aware of somebody who did damage/break one and NOT get a FREE REPLACEMENT from/through Fiskars, please let us know!

2) Due to it being far too light and sharp to prevent it from persistently sticking in the round, which is comparable to the Fiskars product I already own, I am not interested in purchasing anything lighter or sharper or that sticks more in the round than my maul.

Ummm, you've never used one--so how can you conclude that it will "persistently stick in the round???" It sounds like "contempt prior to investigation" to me! lol I use mine pretty much every day. On those rare occasions where it does get stuck, the head design and the material that the head is coated with mean that a light rocking action is all that is needed to free the head 99% of the time. My 8lb maul on the other hand, when it did get stuck, it was a BEAR to get unstuck!!

Lastly, the Fiskars that you show pictured is an AXE, not a SPLITTING AXE. Different purpose--different design.

IMG_3955.jpg

To each his own, I say. Through the encouragement of one of my brother-in-laws, my son bought me a Fiskars Pro Splitting Axe as a birthday gift and I did split quite a bit of wood with it. I no longer have it...I tied a ribbon around it and gave it to another brother-in-law for his birthday.

A LIFETIME, UNCONDITIONAL WARRANTY you say. You are assuming Fiskars is always going to make the axe or Fiskars is always going to be in business. My two splitting mauls have 36" handles inserted through the maul head. I have broke handles in the past and was able to select replacement handles from several sources. Should those sources no longer be available, I could shape a handle from a good, stout piece of hickory with a drawknife.

The Fiskar design is a throw-back to Native American stone tool technology and they abandoned the design when Euro-Americans showed up with trade axes with the handle inserted in a hole of the axe head.
jackpine

Wow, I had no idea this was such a touchy topic for everyone. This is almost as bad as starting an oil thread on a motorcycle forum.

The only complaint i have about the pro splitting axe after my first day using it is it tends to get stuck in the rounds if the round doesnt split....it can be a pain to pull out. However I split for hours today and my arms werent that tired and i processed a nice stack of splits. No way would I have done as much as I did today with the 8lb-er. My arms would of been jello.

Awferheck's sakes...anyone thinks that the little wrap of composite trim around the head of the Fiskars axe is what's holding the thing together needs a lesson in structural mechanics. The composite handle material runs all the way up through the center of the head, just like your beloved old wooden-handled tools. Couldn't work any other way. The wrap of the material around the head is trim/protection/finish/preclusion of the need for wedges. An integral design detail that's both cosmetic and functional. But it ain't what's holding the head onto the handle. Rick

ETA: Actually, it's more complex than that. I just took a good look with a flashlight up into the handles of my two shortest Fiskars tools. The composite does integrate with the head, and there is a wedge (or what looks like a wedge) installed from the bottom, secured by what look like two high strength allen head cap screws (might be Torx, I didn't look that closely). You gotta look all the way up inside the handle to the bottom of the head to see what I'm talking about. Sure would like a tour of the assembly line.

Status
Not open for further replies.