The Wonderful Fiskars

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
there is also a life time warranty on fiskar tools.my 2 year old lopping sheers broke,emailed them a photo,3 weeks later new sheers at my front door.i'm sold on fiskars.

bjkjoseph said:
there is also a life time warranty on fiskar tools.my 2 year old lopping sheers broke,emailed them a photo,3 weeks later new sheers at my front door.i'm sold on fiskars.
That's great! Fiskars sounds like a top notch company.

after reading many many threads on here about the fiskars splitting axes, im thinking about getting one for myself. now, keep in mind that i have NEVER split by hand before. I am short, stalky and out of shape. but from what i have read it should be pretty easy...

CowboyAndy said:
after reading many many threads on here about the fiskars splitting axes, im thinking about getting one for myself. now, keep in mind that i have NEVER split by hand before. I am short, stalky and out of shape. but from what i have read it should be pretty easy...
easier but not easy! lol it'll still get you in shape. Heck rocky won the super heavy weight title of the world doing it! do you remember the song just keep humming it to yourself.

smokinjay said:
CowboyAndy said:
easier but not easy! lol it'll still get you in shape. Heck rocky won the super heavy weight title of the world doing it! do you remember the song just keep humming it to yourself.

well thats just it, i know its not going to be a walk in the park and part of it is for me to do some more physical excersize.

CowboyAndy said:
smokinjay said:
CowboyAndy said:

well thats just it, i know its not going to be a walk in the park and part of it is for me to do some more physical excersize.

lol couldn't help myself on that one.Do you remember the song?

BucksCoBernie said:
You guys suck! I went to the hardware store to pick up a ballcock for my toilet and wondered past the axes and mauls and of course the first thing that caught my eye was the orange fiskars handle. I stared at the pro for a good 5 mins contemplating my purchase. Should I get the pro or stay the course with my 8lb maul? I decided to pick it up off the rack and I couldnt believe how light it was. Still cautious about the short handle concerns i did a full extension like I was striking a log....not bad, not what im used to but not bad at all. I checked the price tag, $40, consider it sold. When I got home I grabbed a round of maple and took it over to my chopping block...swung the splitter and the round split like butter. I LOVE THIS AXE! Im just taking a break from splitting now and my arms arent that tired, my forearms should be tightening up by now if I was using the maul. I still use the maul to hammer in the wedge on the longer oak rounds I have, but for splitting its going to be the Fiskars Pro.

My arms thank everyone for their recommendations.

Heh. . .

Bigg_Redd said:
BucksCoBernie said:
You guys suck! I went to the hardware store to pick up a ballcock for my toilet and wondered past the axes and mauls and of course the first thing that caught my eye was the orange fiskars handle. I stared at the pro for a good 5 mins contemplating my purchase. Should I get the pro or stay the course with my 8lb maul? I decided to pick it up off the rack and I couldnt believe how light it was. Still cautious about the short handle concerns i did a full extension like I was striking a log....not bad, not what im used to but not bad at all. I checked the price tag, $40, consider it sold. When I got home I grabbed a round of maple and took it over to my chopping block...swung the splitter and the round split like butter. I LOVE THIS AXE! Im just taking a break from splitting now and my arms arent that tired, my forearms should be tightening up by now if I was using the maul. I still use the maul to hammer in the wedge on the longer oak rounds I have, but for splitting its going to be the Fiskars Pro.

My arms thank everyone for their recommendations.

Heh. . .

Maybe it's a misspelling??

locust loco said:
Here is a little experiment that anyone can do that might (but probably won’t) put the issue of handle length to rest. Grab a yard stick and hold it with your back hand at the very end and take a swing as if you were splitting wood with it. I’m guessing that regardless of your height (unless you’re approaching the 7’ mark) you will hit the floor/ground before it gets anywhere near your feet or legs. Now, choke up on the yard stick so that you can see the 28” mark behind you back hand. Take another swing and I suspect that if you are over about 5’-6” tall the end of the yard stick will or could hit your feet or shins. Operator error can happen to anyone. I would prefer the added insurance that the 36” handle provides. Therefore the operator’s height is a factor because the taller you are the further it is from your hands to the ground.
I’m 6’-4” and I can’t bend my knees or back in any comfortable manner (that I would want to repeat thousands of times) that would allow me to always hit the ground during any operator error episodes that might occur with a 28” handle. That said I would still like to try one of those miraculous Fiskars axes because I can’t imagine how it works that much better than the True Temper Super Splitter (Model: 1190700) since they both employ the same principals of physics. Someone in a previous thread said that they owned both the Fiskars and the True Temper and that the Fiskars was far superior. However I don’t recall that there were any specific reasons for this. Chock another one up for the supernatural Fiskars. I guess that leaves me solidly among that group that will not buy one of them until there is a 36”er available. The debate continues.

Ron

The reason the fiskars works better than the true temper is the slim profile of the edge on the fiskars. The fiskars simply slices into the wood on first impact, thereby getting further penetration for the taper to push the force outwards. There's nothing mythical going on here, just better engineering, and better metallurgy that makes a tool that can survive. If the true temper tried to make the edge as sharp and thin as the fiskars, it would break because the materials are not of as high a quality.

EDIT: Ballcock :lol:

CowboyAndy said:
I say go for it! Something as simple as the exercise you get while splitting firewood could make you healthier and extend your life.

quads said:
CowboyAndy said:
I say go for it! Something as simple as the exercise you get while splitting firewood could make you healthier and extend your life.

that is if i dont take a foot or leg off with it!

CowboyAndy said:
quads said:
CowboyAndy said:

that is if i dont take a foot or leg off with it!
Please be careful! Almost everything us woodburners use can be dangerous and should be treated with respect.

karri0n said:
locust loco said:
Here is a little experiment that anyone can do that might (but probably won’t) put the issue of handle length to rest. Grab a yard stick and hold it with your back hand at the very end and take a swing as if you were splitting wood with it. I’m guessing that regardless of your height (unless you’re approaching the 7’ mark) you will hit the floor/ground before it gets anywhere near your feet or legs. Now, choke up on the yard stick so that you can see the 28” mark behind you back hand. Take another swing and I suspect that if you are over about 5’-6” tall the end of the yard stick will or could hit your feet or shins. Operator error can happen to anyone. I would prefer the added insurance that the 36” handle provides. Therefore the operator’s height is a factor because the taller you are the further it is from your hands to the ground.
I’m 6’-4” and I can’t bend my knees or back in any comfortable manner (that I would want to repeat thousands of times) that would allow me to always hit the ground during any operator error episodes that might occur with a 28” handle. That said I would still like to try one of those miraculous Fiskars axes because I can’t imagine how it works that much better than the True Temper Super Splitter (Model: 1190700) since they both employ the same principals of physics. Someone in a previous thread said that they owned both the Fiskars and the True Temper and that the Fiskars was far superior. However I don’t recall that there were any specific reasons for this. Chock another one up for the supernatural Fiskars. I guess that leaves me solidly among that group that will not buy one of them until there is a 36”er available. The debate continues.

Ron

The reason the fiskars works better than the true temper is the slim profile of the edge on the fiskars. The fiskars simply slices into the wood on first impact, thereby getting further penetration for the taper to push the force outwards. There's nothing mythical going on here, just better engineering, and better metallurgy that makes a tool that can survive. If the true temper tried to make the edge as sharp and thin as the fiskars, it would break because the materials are not of as high a quality.

EDIT: Ballcock :lol:

Did you actually compare the profiles or are you making an assumption?

At any rate I still prefer the “full axe” as opposed to the “boys axe”. The longer handle is not for everyone because the longer handle would be “dangerous in the hands of a small or unskilled user with insufficient strength”.

http://campingrving.suite101.com/article.cfm/choose_the_right_size_axe

Ron

I got the Fiskars 4.5# splitting axe for my birthday this year after my 8# maul head started getting loose. I got some extra years out of the maul with using marine grade epoxy to keep the head on (thanks to Eric Johnson for that tip), but it started getting loose again after I used the sledge end to hammer in some wedges. I am thrifty, which is why I asked for the Fiskars for my b-day, as it's something I probably wouldn't go out and buy for myself. What I like about it is that you can swing it all day with much less fatigue than the 8# maul. I think the maul still has its place for some situations, but the Fiskars is up to the task for a majority of them. I busted up a 30" oak log with it last night. Gotta love that popping noise!

I was going to say the same thing last night. I stopped reading it a week ago and couldn't believe it was still at the top. I think we need a "beating a dead horse" smiley like they have over on ArboristSite. :)

beating-a-dead-horse.gif

wendell said:
I think we need a "beating a dead horse" smiley like they have over on ArboristSite. :)
Or over at MTF

wendell said:
"beating a dead horse"
What's the proper tool for beating a dead horse? Would you choose a heavier head and longer handle, or a lighter head and shorter handle? Hee hee.

Prob'ly all you need is the handle. Rick

locust loco said:
Did you actually compare the profiles

Yup. I looked at and considered getting the true temper many times in the local Lowes before finally spending the extra $10 on the fiskars. The edge on the TT looks like the edge on any other regular-old axe. The edge on the fiskars is paper thin. True temper, most splitting mauls, wedges, and axes I've seen really don't match the way the taper is on the fiskars. They all have a much more severe angle at the edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.