The wood bin is full and I am burning hot again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mskif

Nov 22, 2008
Hudson Valley NY
I had my chimney inspected and it was clean after about 2.5 cords in first year of this stove. I was just about out of well seasoned wood so I began to burn the best of the marginal wood I had. It is 9 month seasoned red oak that was dead standing but it really needs more time. It was a big hassle to hunt for the driest, poke it, split down, dry by the stove etc, and it I was worried about clogging my cap.

For 2.5 weeks I burnt the marginal wood mixed with the very last of the good stuff. I was thinking about shutting it down for the year, but my neighbor and wood source told me that he had one seasoned cord that a customer never picked up. He said he would check with the gentlemen one more time and if it doesn't want it then it is mine.

Well, I was able to pick 1 cord of 16 month seasoned ash and cherry on Saturday and I am burning well again. This should take me well into April. I also have at least 5.5 cords that will be ready for 2010/2011, so I should be burning well for a while.

It's good to see that you didn't run out. I am getting real close to running out for this season. It is currently 20 degrees here and that means my BEER is also 20 degrees and the Jotul is sitting at 550 degrees, ain't it great! :coolsmile:

Cool, now you can keep thumbing your nose at the Gas/Oil man for a couple more months.

It''s odd, this is the first year I'm not worrying about running out before Spring. I still have another weeks worth of my second cord left and the third is ripe and ready. Didn't hurt that mostly all my wood this year was denser/higher BTU value stuff, no Ash, Poplar or Elm at all, mostly Chestnut Oak with a good amount of Sugar Maple, White Oak and Sycamore thrown in.

That ash and cherry should burn very nicely.

JerseyWreckDiver said:
Cool, now you can keep thumbing your nose at the Gas/Oil man for a couple more months.

It''s odd, this is the first year I'm not worrying about running out before Spring. I still have another weeks worth of my second cord left and the third is ripe and ready. Didn't hurt that mostly all my wood this year was denser/higher BTU value stuff, no Ash, Poplar or Elm at all, mostly Chestnut Oak with a good amount of Sugar Maple, White Oak and Sycamore thrown in.

I wood like to second the thought of thumbing my nose at the Gas and Oil companies. We already burn enough gas when we cut the wood, split the wood, and haul the wood. They shouldn.t need any more of our money when we burn the wood

Status
Not open for further replies.