The wood fought back

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chazcarr

Minister of Fire
Jan 22, 2012
Southbury, CT
A big branch fell down on my woodshed and sheered the bolts holding the roof. Here are a few pics so you can laugh at my lack of proper shed construction. I always meant to get up there and put lag bolts and another 2x4 on the inside, but didn't want to remove the wood to do so. You can see were the screws let go by the lack of stain color. Luckily one of the three posts held.
IMG_2003.JPG IMG_2004.JPG IMG_2005.JPG

So I got the car jack out, jacked the roof back up and added a 2x6 with 2 lag bolts per post. Then I reinforced the old 2x4.

IMG_2006.JPG IMG_2007.JPG

Lesson learned, do it right the first time or mother nature will make a fool of you. Good thing it was loaded with wood and the roof couldn't fall right off.

Next spring I will reinforce the rest of it when the shed is mostly empty.

I don't see any "lack of proper shed construction" to laugh at. I see a damn nice shed that got smacked by a tree. Bummer.

Kinda like when I spent every night for a month and a half doing a ground up rebuild on my old garden tractor. Sheet metal work, paint, belts, engine parts, new seat and a ton of other things. Three weeks later a pine tree fell on it one night and pretty much cut it in half. Off to the junkyard. <>

Glad to see that the contents of the shed didn't pour out. Be careful as you unload the wood this winter. Maybe even put in some temporary lag bolts or jack it up to handle the snow load.

I don't see any "lack of proper shed construction" to laugh at. I see a damn nice shed that got smacked by a tree. Bummer.

Kinda like when I spent every night for a month and a half doing a ground up rebuild on my old garden tractor. Sheet metal work, paint, belts, engine parts, new seat and a ton of other things. Three weeks later a pine tree fell on it one night and pretty much cut it in half. Off to the junkyard. <>
Now that is a real heart breaker.

I think most build for worst case scenario and/or historical snow loads in their area.
Strong enough to support trees or alien vehicle impacts is usually cost prohibitive.
Paint a target on the roof ?

Thanks for the encouraging words, but I always new those small screws couldn't hold that roof up. This was nature's way of telling me to hurry up and fix it already. I'm most happy about the fact that my log splitter, which was chained to the shed at the time, was uninjured. Guess we can't say the same about Bart's tractor.

This is why I burn wood, trees are just bloodthirsty creatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.