The Wood Shed- an update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
Built the shed last spring ('10) and loaded it up. The side walls were bowing out under the load of wood leaning on them, so I made up my mind to build plain old stud walls to replace the pole barn type setup. Much stronger at resisting side loads.
I didn't do the left side of the shed, but rather cross stacked the ends of the stacks to see how that would work. Had a couple that couldn't handle the weight of wood pushing on them and they went a little sideways on me. My fault...I got lazy and wasn't paying attention.
Anyway, I needed to do this before I load the rest of the wood in there, so off I went. Yesterday, I spent some time trying to level the floor inside, since the slope goes front to back AND left to right. You can see the way the ladder is sitting. Also, took down the wall planks.
Today, being not quite as warm, I took the wall apart and did the stud work. Planks go back on tomorrow. Then, the floor gets more work before the pallets go in, then more fun.....bringing wood in from the back stacks.
Not sure I like the cross stacked ends for the shed. Seems like there's wasted space, and I don't want that in the shed. I want as much wood in there as possible. Looks like there will be close to 7 cord when I get done.

Attachments

• P1000432resize.jpg
    P1000432resize.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 560
  • P1000435resize.jpg
    P1000435resize.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 574
  • P1000439resize.jpg
    P1000439resize.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 572
Looks good PapaDave; nice problem to have when the shed is full.

zap

Good ideas Dave. Good to get that done now too; much better than waiting for the snow to fly.

On the cross stacking, you don't have to lose much room at all if you fill in the holes. I quite often fill those holes with kindling.

I was able to fill some of the holes, but I don't have a lot of stuff small enough......yet. That's an excellent idea. I have a whole bunch of wood strips leftover from the milling we did back in '08 that needs to be cut down. I thought of using the chop saw on it, but didn't think I had anywhere to put it yet. DOH!!
I got the siding put back on earlier, re-did the floor on that side, and got some of the pallets put back. Went to the field to get wood, and the rain started pretty good, so I've been back in the house since. Just as well, the humidity is terrible.

Attachments

• P1000442resize.jpg
    P1000442resize.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 470
  • P1000443resize.jpg
    P1000443resize.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 476
PapaDave said:
I was able to fill some of the holes, but I don't have a lot of stuff small enough......yet. That's an excellent idea. I have a whole bunch of wood strips leftover from the milling we did back in '08 that needs to be cut down. I thought of using the chop saw on it, but didn't think I had anywhere to put it yet. DOH!!
I got the siding put back on earlier, re-did the floor on that side, and got some of the pallets put back. Went to the field to get wood, and the rain started pretty good, so I've been back in the house since. Just as well, the humidity is terrible.

Very nice.. Like the work.

Dave, have the fall colors started yet? We're anxious to take a color tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.