The wood we're burning now.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This was so wet and heavy, it would squirt when I'd split it small enough to get to the splitter.

Attachments

• 106_2823.JPG
    106_2823.JPG
    348.4 KB · Views: 167
Good work, bet it feels good now! What kind of tree is that?

Let me guess. Maple.

Squirting.....sounds like willow.

I just put a piece of Norway maple in that was dropped off in my yard. A couple of guys with a flatbet dropped it off from a craigslist add. I'll never forget because it had a 6" diameter poison Ivy vine attached to it. It was then that I realized for sure that there was no such thing a free firewood!

Attachments

• PI vine.jpg
    PI vine.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 118
I've had Tulip Poplar spit water when I drove in the wedge, but that doesn't look like Tulip. Tulip has very distinctive coloration in the center. Just by your description I would lean toward willow as well because I can't tell by the picture. If it burns quickly and leaves a lot of ash it's probably Tulip. If it burns quickly, leaves a lot of ash AND smells like the wrath of God while it burns, it willow.:)

Last edited:
This was so wet and heavy, it would squirt when I'd split it small enough to get to the splitter.

Valley ranch, you perhaps should think strongly about a cant hook. Then you would not have to split those small enough to get to the splitter. With a cant hook it is an easy task.

Canthook.jpg

Reactions: UncleJoe
Those are some good sized rounds.

I'm surprised it dried so well in only 6-7 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.