The world has gone mad.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LordmetalZ28

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2014
Hudson Valley NY
I stopped into my local true value yesterday to pick up some miscellaneous hardware and was pleased to see lignetics where in stock and bieng sold by the ton. Great I thought ill pick up next years stash now and get it out of the way so I can cruise by and go fishing all summer and not haul pellets in the heat. So I ask for a ton of lignetics and the cashier ask for 375$ and then I ask the owner if hes sick? I can understand a few extra bucks but his price has shot up over a 100$ in a week. i just thought maybe id share this crap with you

Reactions: vinny11950
Probably people have run out of pellets now and there is a premium on what's left. But other energy prices are affordable too.

lignetics have always been $7 a bag here. I couldn't see how people could afford to burn them. I bought a bag to try and wasn't all that impressed.

now Somersets are.$5 a bag and climbing. I'll be burning wood next year and propane. Its 1.69 a gallon. I might even look into compressed natural gas. I see a guy a few miles from here has a cng tank outside his pole barn.

Reactions: Cory S
I cant swallow 375 for any pellets unless that includes delivery charge. If gas station owners do that there criminals. If they do it with pellets there heros because there trying to make a profit. Dosent make sense to me

Reactions: kappel15
Supply and demand. Time to think about 'alternative fuels'....lol

Field corn is at $3.65/bu if you can burn it and if you can get it............ A bushel is 53 pounds about.

Just vote with your feet. They'll either come crawling back or get out of the business. If there is a God, let's have a mild winter next year and enjoy them choking on their "premium" pellets at $350+ a ton.

Reactions: olmec and kappel15
Supply and demand. Time to think about 'alternative fuels'....lol

Field corn is at $3.65/bu if you can burn it and if you can get it............ A bushel is 53 pounds about.
Standard for field corn is 56 lbs./bu. Can range for high 40's which the local elevator refused, to low 60's. I am burning corn from year before last an is about 60lbs/bu
Local store just had a sale on ok pellets for $225/T

I remember when I was buying pellet's for $134 ton for years and even a few ton's for $100 at wallyworld in the spring, then few year's later when I saw $180 a ton I said noway!!

Standard for field corn is 56 lbs./bu. Can range for high 40's which the local elevator refused, to low 60's. I am burning corn from year before last an is about 60lbs/bu
Local store just had a sale on ok pellets for $225/T

I'm buying 53 pound test corn right now (Just filled both tanks, 1000 bushel each) with cleaned for feed corn at $3.6 delivered and augered.

I'm taking a wait and see on pellets but it appears that next year will be a corn year (or a coal year), depending.

It's not financially prudent to pay over $4.00 per 40 pound bag when corn is at $3.6 but it will depend on how much I feed out before next fall, and the price per bu then.....

I remember when I was buying pellet's for $134 ton for years and even a few ton's for $100 at wallyworld in the spring, then few year's later when I saw $180 a ton I said noway!!

Owners with pellet only appliances and/or are in a no alternate fuel area are indentured slaves to a volitale pellet market, they either 'bite the bullet' and buy high cost pellets or use (maybe even higher cost) fuel oil or propane.... not good.

Back in the day I paid around $130 a ton for Lignetics or IWF and thought that was high....

Of course I'm taking a hard look at hard coal.

It's greed anyway you look at it. Some of the best corn I ever burned was 13.6% moisture, and 59 lbs. a bushel

Menards has pellets on sale, plus the 11% rebate that brings pellets down to 4.00 a bag. Tempted

Lignetics has been at 7 to 7.50 a bag over there all season long

I am liking the burn of 10% 60 lb./bu corn. Just wish I could scale up the dryer. That sale on pellets ends today I think at Menards. About to get a bit of snow and mix in a hour or so and don't want to do a trip on the secondary roads. Temps been holding at 30 since midnight.

It's greed anyway you look at it. Some of the best corn I ever burned was 13.6% moisture, and 59 lbs. a bushel

Especially when for the most part processed/extruded wood pellet fuel is a 'value added' aspect for dimensional lumber producers, pallet makers and forest harvesting operations, was a waste byproduct that had to be disposed of at an added cost. Thats what fry's my eggs. You increase the value stream and then stick it in even harder with no lubricant..... nice.

One great thing about corn is, it don't matter if it's GMO, it's moldy or low test weight (burn more), it's all good.

Reactions: kappel15
Sale is thru the 28th of March

Lignetics has been at 7 to 7.50 a bag over there all season long

$7.5 a bag puts them above fuel oil. There haven't been any white bags with green printing on them in my refuse can in a decade.

Just called Menards in Waterloo. They have 800 bags of Indecks on hand. Heading over now to get a pallet.

The pressure will be on those prices for pellets as more get sold to the EU for power generation. Provincial government just gave a company a financial boost $4M to produce pellets for power generation & for export. The tick off - our tax dollars, our forests but apparently no pellets for us because they're "industrial" (size difference). Just ignore the "conversation" that should be conversion in the article;lol;lol
http://www.northernontariobusiness....ch-converts-pellets-into-provincial-cash.aspx

I've mostly burned ligs this winter. One dealer had them at $265/ton and the other had them for $235. Guess which ones I bought.

The pressure will be on those prices for pellets as more get sold to the EU for power generation. Provincial government just gave a company a financial boost $4M to produce pellets for power generation & for export. The tick off - our tax dollars, our forests but apparently no pellets for us because they're "industrial" (size difference). Just ignore the "conversation" that should be conversion in the article;lol;lol
http://www.northernontariobusiness....ch-converts-pellets-into-provincial-cash.aspx

We dont have a provincial government running this province, the people of Ontario have elected criminals, now the criminals are being investigated by the police, but dang even they are in trouble with corruption. Dam, where do I live, Greece?

Lake girl..

The difference in 'Industrial sized Pellets' versus comsumer size is a rework of the feed auger flighting. Thats it. Everything else remains almost the same.

I guess basically the citizens of your province freeze while the EU gets it's power pellets......

Something ain't right with that premise.

The original Whitfield stove used 3/8 inch pellets.

I now have 2 1/2 pallets in the shop. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. If corn stays affordable, those will last me 5 years

Reactions: tjnamtiw
Status
Not open for further replies.