The world has gone mad.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped into my local true value yesterday to pick up some miscellaneous hardware and was pleased to see lignetics where in stock and bieng sold by the ton. Great I thought ill pick up next years stash now and get it out of the way so I can cruise by and go fishing all summer and not haul pellets in the heat. So I ask for a ton of lignetics and the cashier ask for 375$ and then I ask the owner if hes sick? I can understand a few extra bucks but his price has shot up over a 100$ in a week. i just thought maybe id share this crap with you
Was this True value in Hopewell?

Everything here in northern michigan is still prices good, around 4.5-5 a bag.

At 4.5, I'm looking at 3.6 corn. At 5., I'm buying 3.6 corn. It's a matter of economics and in my scenario, corn is just as convenient as pellets, maybe moreso. For me, corn is an 'added value' commodity, just like pellets are to a sawmill. I feed out corn to the steers so it's a necessary addition to their daily ration and it's available in quantity for me (in the grain tanks) all the time. Finally, my corn usage for heating becomes a write off, farm expense covered under feed. I don't differentiate feeding the stove or feeding a steer.

At 4.5, I'm looking at 3.6 corn. At 5., I'm buying 3.6 corn. It's a matter of economics and in my scenario, corn is just as convenient as pellets, maybe moreso. For me, corn is an 'added value' commodity, just like pellets are to a sawmill. I feed out corn to the steers so it's a necessary addition to their daily ration and it's available in quantity for me (in the grain tanks) all the time. Finally, my corn usage for heating becomes a write off, farm expense covered under feed. I don't differentiate feeding the stove or feeding a steer.
One seasons corn fed to the stove is a drop in the bucket compared to the herds requirements.

Of course the herd produces some interesting byproducts, methane is one of them as well as carbon dioxide.

I talked to a person who has worked at the box stores for over 15 years.he said no more pellets we have grass seeds now.even though there is snow on most lawns lol.that high price is for the person that's out and there wife is saying I don't care the cost get some pelletes .thats why I buy big in oct

If you want to take a road trip down here, my local TSC has at least 30 ton of Sets.()

You are right, because you are wrong. Industrial pellet plants aren't designed to make premium pellets. Household pellet stove can't handle the size or composition of industrial pellets.
Do you blame the woodchippers for not making premium pellets? Where is the difference?

Candidly, I don't care because, at least for me, pellets are optional at best. I'm a corn burner at heart and I could be a coal burner if corn gets overpriced and pellets do the same.

With me, whatever is the least expensive and thats not discounting chunk wood either.

I am self employed also, so it is a write off for me also

I talked to a person who has worked at the box stores for over 15 years.he said no more pellets we have grass seeds now.even though there is snow on most lawns lol.that high price is for the person that's out and there wife is saying I don't care the cost get some pelletes .thats why I buy big in oct

Great, now I have to drive around to all the HD's near me and tell them to send back all the pellets they have onsite, Spring is coming. I guess they didn't get the memo.

Great, now I have to drive around to all the HD's near me and tell them to send back all the pellets they have onsite, Spring is coming. I guess they didn't get the memo.

I would imagine the scenatio will be... They will park them out back (hopefully tarped up but probably not) until next fall and then move them back to the sales area to sell as 'just arrived pellets' at the then current pricing of course.

They are just arrived of course.... 'arrived from the back lot where they were sleeping all summer'..................;lol

The price gouging is just one more reason we use the alternatives (shells)

A few years ago when we used the Quad most of the time, the pellets were $200 tn

One winter pellets got scarce and it got COLD
The big box shops were low on supply but still had some.

A local small garden shop bought up everything they could and then started rationing them at 2 bag limits and $10 a bag

The trash that was called down on him was horrendous.

We finally found a farm store over at the coast that had plenty and ran out and bought ton for $250

Screwing folks is just wrong, and should be considered criminal

A few years ago when we used the Quad most of the time, the pellets were $200 tn

A local small garden shop bought up everything they could and then started rationing them at 2 bag limits and $10 a bag

We finally found a farm store over at the coast that had plenty and ran out and bought ton for $250

It's business (supply and demand). Nothing criminal about it. You get gouged on lots of things like gasoline and beef and even taxes (the government is the biggest screwer of all.......)

If you only knew how much markup is assessed to consumer goods, but then you should because you were in the firearms business. Firearms are regulated but related items aren't, so you already are aware of the markups, but have probably, conveiently forgotten......

Reactions: ZBrooks

I've tried to find a source here ever since I read your posts about shells but nothing so far in New England. Would love to try hazelnut shells my stove if I can find them.

I am always uncomfortable when people start throwing around the term price gouging.

The fella who has the guts to purchase and hold -- or -- who has the initiative to chase about and buy supply then resell is often called a gouger. I see it as opportunity pricing.

10 bucks a bag gouging ?? Let's put that in perspective.

I take a truck and purchase 50 bags and say 5 locations (shortages generally cause 10 bag or so limits in this commodity it seems). Perhaps a days chasing, loading, then unloading, say 8 hours. Let us not forget truck fuel, (we can skip other expenses for simplicity).

So hundred bucks labor value (and that is cheap), 20 bucks for gas = 120 bucks OR 2.40 per bag. Add that to purchase price and at ten bucks the gal is making what ???

NOT MUCH over cost.

I call it ma and pa capitalism

So do I. It's also referred to as charging what the market will bear.....

Any business selling at their cost will soon not be in business.

I've tried to find a source here ever since I read your posts about shells but nothing so far in New England. Would love to try hazelnut shells my stove if I can find them.

Likely won't find a hazelnut source near you :( ... "Nearly 100% of the U.S. crop for hazelnuts comes from the Willamette Valley of Oregon. " https://nuts.com/nuts/hazelnuts/ Have to think of a comparable...

We have cherry pits here (upper-lower Michigan), Charlivoix area, but they burn pretty fast.

Old Spast: 1926293 said:
I am always uncomfortable when people start throwing around the term price gouging.

The fella who has the guts to purchase and hold -- or -- who has the initiative to chase about and buy supply then resell is often called a gouger. I see it as opportunity pricing.

10 bucks a bag gouging ?? Let's put that in perspective.

I take a truck and purchase 50 bags and say 5 locations (shortages generally cause 10 bag or so limits in this commodity it seems). Perhaps a days chasing, loading, then unloading, say 8 hours. Let us not forget truck fuel, (we can skip other expenses for simplicity).

So hundred bucks labor value (and that is cheap), 20 bucks for gas = 120 bucks OR 2.40 per bag. Add that to purchase price and at ten bucks the gal is making what ???

NOT MUCH over cost.

Then why do we persecute gas stations when they do the same? Goughing any sort of fuel is capitalism true. But whats up with the double standard

Then why do we persecute gas stations when they do the same? Goughing any sort of fuel is capitalism true. But whats up with the double standard

You may persecute gas stations but do not include me and many others in your "we".

I am very consistent in my belief system. I believe in the capital system for reasons that are obvious to anyone who has a historical economic view.

Before flaming .... Remember we are discussing small ma and pa not Exxon Mobile.

I still think it's a buyers market simply because you can shop vatious outlets (retail) for the best pricing. There certainly is no manufacturers suggested retail pricing on pellets nor is there any price stabilization imposed by the manufacturer.

That leaves the retail segment wide open on pricing and depending entirely on what the retailer determines the price to be (and if he or she can move the product at that price.

I'd sure like to see it start to warm up, I'm still roasting at a high rate of consumption here in SE Michigan....

[quotein"Old Spartan, post: 1926399, member: 41319"]You may persecute gas stations but do not include me and many others in your "we".

I am very consistent in my belief system. I believe in the capital system for reasons that are obvious to anyone who has a historical economic view.

Before flaming .... Remember we are discussing small ma and pa not Exxon Mobile.[/quote]
We as In your and my elected officials. Even though you may have not voted for them majority wins and you as well as me are we! And we persecute gas stations.Who cares if its exxon or ma and pa. Wrong is wrong and thats the bottom line.yea I understand hes a small buisness and I have no issue paying thirty, forty maybe even fifty dollars more for my ton of pellets cause I get it and his position against hd and lowes. But 150$ in a week is ridiculous and uncalled for. Its insulting and as far as im concerned greed. And that pellet greed pushes me right out of the store from the paint tools seed and hardware I was going to buy.

Sometimes, conspicious consumption will bite you in the posterior......;lol

" that pellet greed pushes me right out of the store from the paint tools seed and hardware I was going to buy."

and that too is the Capital Market at work.

Shall we agree to disagree guys? I think this has been beaten to pellet dust....

Status
Not open for further replies.